RMweb

WR ‘15XX’ 0-6-0PT - 00 Gauge

rapidoandy

1 hour ago, rapidoandy said:

It’s been something of an emotional rollercoaster with the elation of having delivered the 15xx shipment tempered by the reports that some have defects.

These problems were not present in the development prototypes, the sign-off sample models, or the QC samples we examined from the main shipment and we are absolutely gutted when we get these reports

Things go wrong sometimes despite all best endeavours and attention. The proof of a companies metal is how it sorts things out - sounds like you agree and will make a good fist of it for anyone who has a problem. Keep your chin up, the locos I saw at our club last week looked great.

Edited by Chrisr40
  • Like 2
  • Agree 6

Good evening all, apologies for being quiet on here of late - I have been somewhat under the weather over the weekend.

It’s been something of an emotional rollercoaster with the elation of having delivered the 15xx shipment tempered by the reports that some have defects.

These problems were not present in the development prototypes, the sign-off sample models, or the QC samples we examined from the main shipment and we are absolutely gutted when we get these reports.

We are realistic and do not expect 100% of the models to be perfect when they arrive, especially given the volume of orders, the 350+ parts, hand painting and assembly, not to mention the distance they have travelled. 

However, we are not happy about the errors made with glue marks, wheels etc. and will be taking this up with our factory and assembly line. In the short term, our goal is always to repair or replace defective models. We put a lot in to making these products and we are gutted when people can’t enjoy them, we are also aware that this is ‘treat’ money not ‘walking out’ money that people are choosing to spend with us.

If yours has an issue, please please let us know via the warranty form and we will try to help ASAP.

Anyone can make model trains - but a great company (which is what we aspire to be) is one that spends the time sorting issues out and dealing with customers afterwards. If anyone has any problems - get in touch. We have lots of parts and some spare models and will sort anything we have to.

On the plus side, we are also receiving messages and emails from happy customers saying that the model has exceeded their expectations, runs really well, looks great etc., which is not only very kind of them to say, it also shows to us that all the effort we put in to try and make the best product we can was worthwhile.

Whilst that may be little comfort to someone with a problematic item right now, we hope it can provide reassurance that soon you will have one that is something you can be proud to own.

I know a particularly poor example has been delivered to a popular online reviewer and I’m under no illusion that we will be slated for it. Sadly that’s just the odds, but again we will repair or sort anyone’s problems. I’d love someone to do a review of our warranty service - but sadly I doubt that would be exciting enough for anyone.

Happy modelling!

Andy

While there are clearly some QC issues with some of these models, the nature of your company means that customers will be more forgiving than they would be for much larger ones (imagine the reactions of Hornby had a model with these issues!). 

As for the online reviewer his criticisms were aimed more at the factory than you guys.

• Friendly/supportive 1

from happy customers

My second one arrived today , fully intact and cosmetically perfect. Self evidently second one = superb model!  Perhaps us happy bunnies need to just make a quick post to say so and ensure some balance. That said,  I hope anyone with a issue gets it sorted.

• Like 8

I hope AY Mod's comments were not directed at me, but if they were I can perhaps do no better than repeat the last paragraph of my last post which was as follows:

I've had nothing but excellent service from Rapido in the past with my American models, and the way they dealt with the dynamometer car issues shows they listen and take notice. I'll wager they are less than amused to note the sheer number of unacceptable issues with the production 15xx. Personally, I'm happy to wait and see how they propose to deal with them, rather than returning mine now and adding to what I suspect is an increasingly worrying  volume of returns both directly and via retailers.

Repidoandy wanted a review of the warranty service, so let me give you this is an example. Several years ago, I ordered a full-length Amtrak Turbo Train. Before it arrived, I had an opportunity to try two on a club layout in upstate New York, and they ran frankly dreadfully. Such was this issue, that Rapido offered replacement reengineered  gearboxes, which I duly acquired as I'm sure did many other owners. However, I decided that the intricacy of sorting this was probably too much for me, and they sat in a container unopened and unused for several years until the Dynamometer Car recall, when I happened to mention this in correspondence. The response was an invitation to send it in and they'd sort it for me, even though it's probably years out of warranty.

While I've not taken them up on that offer as yet, that's customer service in my book, and ultimately it's what prompted me to order the 15xx directly from them, even though the net result was my paying £40 or so more than if I'd ordered from certain retailers.

I see that the Turbo Train has since been reissued with a completely updated drive system.  I must ask them if that's available as a retrofit for the original . . . . . 

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

So my Rapido 15xx arrived stateside the other day, cosmetically very nice, a couple of very minor glue marks but I'm otherwise quite pleased.  It is lively on the rolling rolling road, about on par with some of my Bachy Panniers.  The 15xx is geared higher than the Pi Victory, so this isn't a totally fair video, and the 15xx should settle down a bit on track pulling a train.  Smooth as clockwork though, it isn't.

53197751735_f274bf01d8_b.jpgSteam Locs by Pete Piszczek, on Flickr

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, TheEngineShed said:

So my Rapido 15xx arrived stateside the other day, cosmetically very nice, a couple of very minor glue marks but I'm otherwise quite pleased.  It is lively on the rolling rolling road, about on par with some of my Bachy Panniers.  The 15xx is geared higher than the Pi Victory, so this isn't a totally fair video, and the 15xx should settle down a bit on track pulling a train.  Smooth as clockwork though, it isn't.

Steam Locs by Pete Piszczek, on Flickr

They are not supposed to dance like that at all - please could you get in touch:

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/warranty-form/

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TheEngineShed said:

Thank you, I will that under consideration.

Yes, do it. 

You will receive an email with 2 attachments: a warranty authorisation form and a postage label, both to print for the return parcel. 

Hopefully you didn't throw the packaging away!

My own loco needs to return, it's similar to yours but a friend's is ok.

• Like 1

Shall be looking at my locomotive more in depth, as not had a chance to fully yet, As was over in Dusseldorf supporting brother in the Invictus Games.

But first initial looks it looks very impressive. Did noticed some red paint not fully applied on the rear buffer beam side, on the right side but only thing i have noticed. During the week shall be testing the locomotive, when not in work.

Either way, glad to have another Local engine in my collection as well, also another piece of Rapido stock to.

Chris 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, jimwal said:

Yes, do it. 

You will receive an email with 2 attachments: a warranty authorisation form and a postage label, both to print for the return parcel. 

Hopefully you didn't throw the packaging away!

My own loco needs to return, it's similar to yours but a friend's is ok.

Thank you, details have been submitted.  I'm in the USA, so it is always a pain to return items to the UK.  To be fair to Rapido, the only other item I have had to return in many years was that Pi Victory in the video.  It came back a very smooth runner...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I am delighted to say that 1504 arrived in South East Queensland today, all the way from Widnes and there was nothing loose in the box, nothing had fallen off and she runs superbly even at a ridiculous "crawl". I use Peco code 100 and a Gaugemaster "Combi".

She has entered service and is doing the job she was designed for perfectly.😃

Thank you Rapido, Brilliant Model.

Rapido1504.jpg.3a617437fbffd84c5399b33f9c59ab22.jpg

• Like 13
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, RapidoCorbs said:

They are not supposed to dance like that at all - please could you get in touch:

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/warranty-form/

Very useful video and reply - sets a clear benchmark of what is unacceptable.

I managed to improve mine somewhat, but it's at least as bad as that AFTERWARDS.

Will return.

I would absolutely love to see a video of one that runs properly on a RR posted.

Edited by 97xx
  • Like 1

I am not a OO modeller but as a model railway enthusiast in general I keenly follow a variety of threads relating to different manufacturer's products including this one.

I am in no position to comment about the 15xx issues, but I can as far as Rapido's excellent warranty service is concerned. I was one of a number who bought Rapido's N Gauge Metrovick Co-Bo. In the case of mine it was a sound fitted version with a defective decoder which became reported as a common issue with the loco (running the loco with a standard chip confirmed the loco ran fine). I raised a warranty request through the website and was asked to return the entire loco, which I did. Rapido were totally open and honest about both the decoder problems (and what they were doing about it) and other QC issues identified with some of these locos, and even though I hadn't had any problems they asked that it be returned so that they could check it over. They could have just asked for the chip to be sent back for replacement which would have been cheaper, but they didn't, they went the extra mile and incurred the additional expense of checking the whole loco. Yes, it took a while for them to get replacement decoders and therefore my loco to be returned, but that was down to a global supply issue not them. 

The Rapido team didn't hide from "criticism" of the Co-Bo, they were visible and responsive to people's issues, offering to fix locos even though first port of call would technically be to return it to the retailer. I see the exact same thing here, issues raised with some of the 15xx's and a proactive open and honest response from the Rapido Team, this is a measure of an organisation who are passionate about their products and just as disappointed when problems are reported.

Anyone who has spoken to these guys at exhibitions will know the passion and enthusiasm they have for their brand and products, they are model railway enthusiasts just like us, and I for one would like to complement the whole team on not just the quality of their warranty service but their whole ethos, I would have to reflect that not every manufacturer is like this.

Roy

Edited by Roy L S
  • Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

Got too much going on at the moment to concentrate on the railway and trains but I'm happy with the 15xx I have recieved. It's as clean as the Accurascale manor we have with only very minor glue blemishes in one or two places tops even under close up inspection.

It's a good little model and I will be buying more rapido locos in the future.

Edited by Moley48
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Moley48 said:

Got too much going on at the moment to concentrate on the railway and trains but I'm happy with the 15xx I have recieved. It's as clean as the Accurascale manor we have with only very minor glue blemishes in one or two places tops even under close up inspection.

It's a good little model and I will be buying more rapido locos in the future.

Good luck with the 'other' pal! I hope it all sorts out for you.

Life comes before toys and Mr Sam and his band of followers need to appreciate that.

P

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Rules for modellers who care about a product's accuracy and are annoyed by 'influencers'

• If you watch one on YouTube - delete it immediately from your history so YouTube doesn't think you want to see more
  • If you see more of them in your suggested video feed, click on the three dots by the suggested video and inform YouTube not to recommend the video or even better the whole channel and then it will know to stop
  • Learn to recognise the good video content (such as LNWR Crook St, Paul RHB, Red Dirt & Rails plus many others and subscribe to them so you get more of their stuff and less of the other).
  • Curate your content to eliminate the chaff and leave yourself with all the wheat.

🙂

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

*break break*

@rapidoandy, @RapidoCorbs and co,

Congrats! I've just caught up with the post-release comments, and overall my impression is of a product firmly in the " 'kin A!" category. Well done to all involved. 

Even more worthy of praise is the follow-up comms and support on offer. Perfect, and exactly the kind of behaviour which builds trust and loyalty between brand and customer's bank accounts. Top stuff, noted and appreciated. I hope certain other manufacturers are taking note also...

I can't justify a 15XX no matter how hard I try, but following its release I'm happier than ever to support Rapido and massage the upcoming MW into my little 1870s 'nook. Looking forward to it as and when :)

More power to your collective elbow, onwards to glory!

• Like 7

DPD has come to my door this morning with a nice delivery. I have just opened my 1501 and I am blown away by it. It is so heavy for a tank engine and mine has arrived in perfect condition. I have put it on a small test track to run it in and it runs beautifully. So controllable and the sound is very good. No noticeable wobble on mine and it just looks amazing. It is love at first sight. This will be my main locomotive for my small heritage railway model that I am slowly building. Well done rapido!!! This is an outstanding model and should be very proud. Looking forward to the USA160. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Eddie the dog said:

Ideally these type of reviews should include manufacturer reactions.

Rapido I have found to be approachable and have excellent customer service.

Having heard the views of a couple ,I rather doubt that they’ll be amenable to that suggestion in any case.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2