WR ‘15XX’ 0-6-0PT - 00 Gauge

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold

Oh Dear!

I must admit that I had been somewhat put off buying one of these by the issues that seem to have arisen, but I weakened and ordered one from a major retailer, DCC fitted by them.

It arrived this morning, all intact, no blemishes or bits fallen off. Initial test running revealed no undue chassis wobbles, so I thought  I'd struck lucky and got a good'un.

Sadly, not so. Running is unreliable, with all the symptoms of intermittent pick up. It's the same on the rolling road, test circuit and layout, so I guess I've got the  dreaded plunger pick up troubles.

I've e-mailed the retailer, awaiting their response on the way forward.

• Friendly/supportive 4

I'm sure many of you will have seen Rapido UK Newsletter No. 36 circulated by email at lunchtime today. The section on the 15xx, while on the one hand acknowledging problems, on the other hand attempts to play these down dramatically with comments such as:

"These problems were not present in the development prototypes, the sign-off sample models, or the QC samples we examined from the main shipment . . . "

Sorry, but I simply don't buy that. While there are those lucky enough to have excellent models, too many of us don’t.

They then proceed to criticise some who have sent their models back for rectification only to be returned in precisely the same condition in which they were sent. If you've read the content you will have noted the following comment criticising those who dare to do so as follows:

" . . . sadly we also get a lot of others that have been caught up in the (often) online hype from certain pages and reviewers. These get sent back as ‘poor runners’ etc and we check them out only to find there are no issues, but the customer (or retailer) just wanted them checked and serviced. . . . "

Mine, as I have reported in previous posts, had several issues, including sections of the body assembled so far out of alignment so that the firebox light illuminates the entire right side running plate and shines through gaps around the cab and tank side on the right-hand side of the loco, but its inability either to run more than half a wheel revolution or its derailing at the first opportunity whether by excessive wobble/waddle, or as a result of its excentric wheels, is frankly pathetic.

It goes on to describe these issues as " . . . these decoration/assembly issues . . . ". Sorry guys, but excentric wheels, and wheel centres way off the actual centre of the wheels are neither decoration nor assembly issues.

I can assure our friends at Rapido that this is neither hype nor unjustified criticism. The 15xx could well have been Model of the Year by a considerable margin, but the fact is that with these issues it simply isn't.

As I paid full DCC Sound price by direct order from Rapido, I could have sent mine back but, as per previous posts, I'll wait until Rapido confirm availability of replacement chassis, complete wheelsets including fitted connecting rods, or even just sets of replacement driving wheels, which hopefully they will do eventually (they have my details), and I'll rectify mine myself. I've built enough brass loco kit chassis in my time that run straight and true, that I'm neither prepared to settle for a warranty repair that runs "within tolerances" (for which read probably still wobbles/waddles but not as badly as some), nor, at least at the moment, am I prepared to make this one of my most expensive ever 0-6-0s by commissioning some decent wheelsets, balance weights, etc., from Ultrascale. In the meantime Rover is in a glass cabinet for my amusement from time to time, sitting there with its left rear wheel cocked in mid-air.

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, tlm said:

I'm sure many of you will have seen Rapido UK Newsletter No. 36 circulated by email at lunchtime today. The section on the 15xx, while on the one hand acknowledging problems, on the other hand attempts to play these down dramatically with comments such as:

"These problems were not present in the development prototypes, the sign-off sample models, or the QC samples we examined from the main shipment . . . "

Sorry, but I simply don't buy that. While there are those lucky enough to have excellent models, too many of us don’t.

They then proceed to criticise some who have sent their models back for rectification only to be returned in precisely the same condition in which they were sent. If you've read the content you will have noted the following comment criticising those who dare to do so as follows:

" . . . sadly we also get a lot of others that have been caught up in the (often) online hype from certain pages and reviewers. These get sent back as ‘poor runners’ etc and we check them out only to find there are no issues, but the customer (or retailer) just wanted them checked and serviced. . . . "

Mine, as I have reported in previous posts, had several issues, including sections of the body assembled so far out of alignment so that the firebox light illuminates the entire right side running plate and shines through gaps around the cab and tank side on the right-hand side of the loco, but its inability either to run more than half a wheel revolution or its derailing at the first opportunity whether by excessive wobble/waddle, or as a result of its excentric wheels, is frankly pathetic.

It goes on to describe these issues as " . . . these decoration/assembly issues . . . ". Sorry guys, but excentric wheels, and wheel centres way off the actual centre of the wheels are neither decoration nor assembly issues.

I can assure our friends at Rapido that this is neither hype nor unjustified criticism. The 15xx could well have been Model of the Year by a considerable margin, but the fact is that with these issues it simply isn't.

As I paid full DCC Sound price by direct order from Rapido, I could have sent mine back but, as per previous posts, I'll wait until Rapido confirm availability of replacement chassis, complete wheelsets including fitted connecting rods, or even just sets of replacement driving wheels, which hopefully they will do eventually (they have my details), and I'll rectify mine myself. I've built enough brass loco kit chassis in my time that run straight and true, that I'm neither prepared to settle for a warranty repair that runs "within tolerances" (for which read probably still wobbles/waddles but not as badly as some), nor, at least at the moment, am I prepared to make this one of my most expensive ever 0-6-0s by commissioning some decent wheelsets, balance weights, etc., from Ultrascale. In the meantime Rover is in a glass cabinet for my amusement from time to time, sitting there with its left rear wheel cocked in mid-air.

Could you not have sent this directly to Rapido and waited for their response before posting it here?

P

• Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Round of applause 1

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, tlm said:

play these down dramatically with comments such as:

You're stirring again. You only had access restored yesterday. I'm removing it again as I'm not spending my weekend babysitting you.

• Round of applause 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, tlm said:

Whether you accept it or not, it is true. We would not knowingly send out defective models, that would be extremely poor form.

Wheels and bushes not being pressed on properly (the most likely cause of wonky/eccentric wheels) is an assembly issue. 

Parts not being fitted correctly are assembly issues.

Glue marks, poor paint and misprinted tampos are decoration issues.

You're not wrong, which is why we want to rectify them.

As I paid full DCC Sound price by direct order from Rapido, I could have sent mine back but, as per previous posts, I'll wait until Rapido confirm availability of replacement chassis, complete wheelsets including fitted connecting rods, or even just sets of replacement driving wheels, which hopefully they will do eventually (they have my details),

It is extremely unlikely (at the time of writing) that we will be supplying wheels to customers for them to fit.

Of course as with all our products, your model has a limited lifetime warranty so please do drop us a line via the warranty form when you want us to look at it for you.

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 27/10/2023 at 21:52, RapidoCorbs said:

Whether you accept it or not, it is true. We would not knowingly send out defective models, that would be extremely poor form.

Wheels and bushes not being pressed on properly (the most likely cause of wonky/eccentric wheels) is an assembly issue. 

Parts not being fitted correctly are assembly issues.

Glue marks, poor paint and misprinted tampos are decoration issues.

You're not wrong, which is why we want to rectify them.

It is extremely unlikely (at the time of writing) that we will be supplying wheels to customers for them to fit.

Of course as with all our products, your model has a limited lifetime warranty so please do drop us a line via the warranty form when you want us to look at it for you.

After some twelve months or more I have got round to completing the writing up of the construction of The Great Way Round. 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/blogs/entry/26158-gwr-the-great-way-round-–-the-construction/

As part of the write up there is a YouTube link to a video made with the Camtruck - pushed by a Rapido 15xx.  To complement the Camtruck video there is birds eye view of the 15xx travelling around the layout - behind the scenes and all.  The 15xx runs very slowly and smoothly if you don't watch the chimney too long!

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I picked up a sound-fitted 15XX from Lord & Butler yesterday. Here's a clip of it running at slow speed across a variety of points and crossings, quite satisfactorily I would say. I'll keep an eye on the running over the next few weeks before committing to any weathering or coupling mods.

(yes, I know it would have helped to turn the phone around...)

Edited by Barry Ten
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Touch wood, I seem to have been lucky. My sound version is intact and performs well. There are places where it isn’t happy but I think it’s the track rather than the loco. I feel a little unease concerning the plunger pick ups because they haven’t proved reliable in the past, especially long term. A return to the conventional arrangement might be a good idea for Rapido.

• Like 1

Mine (an sound-fitted NCB one) did a running-in spell at the clubroom - about 45 mins each way.  I got used to the ribald comments about explosions in the cab from the over-bright and too frequent random firebox glow, and will speak to Rapido about this at Warley.

It then went out to Hinckley show with NO PLACE.

Unfortunately it occasionally sticks when it stops running forward, not wanting to start again.  Cured by lifting it off the track and jer-jer-jiggling the wheels gently.  Not good when it sticks at a show with punters watching,

It has now had another two hours running in forward plus an hour in reverse.  Next is to run it slowly along the programming track in each direction to see if it is still sticking.....

Les

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Les1952 said:

Mine (an sound-fitted NCB one) did a running-in spell at the clubroom - about 45 mins each way.  I got used to the ribald comments about explosions in the cab from the over-bright and too frequent random firebox glow, and will speak to Rapido about this at Warley.

Sounds like a threat...

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I'd think the 'explosive Firehole Light' could easily be 'dimmed' by stuffing something in the Hole or carefully placing something partially or fully across the Hole; (bit of gauze or Kitchen Towel?) 

Having recently watched a loco climbing the incline to Gothland, after dusk a couple of weeks back, I can safely say that was Pyrotechnic.

Phil

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I'd think the 'explosive Firehole Light' could easily be 'dimmed' by stuffing something in the Hole or carefully placing something partially or fully across the Hole; (bit of gauze or Kitchen Towel?) 

Having recently watched a loco climbing the incline to Gothland, after dusk a couple of weeks back, I can safely say that was Pyrotechnic.

Phil

Sounds like the aftermath of a good Madras. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
On 11/11/2023 at 08:43, Les1952 said:

no, just a chat...

Les

Good idea.  Alas this firebox glow nonsense is one gimmick I don't like as it's about as realistic as Triang Series 4 track was becuase iyt is s random and frequent and bears no relation to the way the engine is working. (that aplies across the board, not just to Tapido and the 15XX

Yes, I probably am an occasionally grumpy male of a more mature age who has the apparent dsadavantage of remembering the real ones doing their everyday work.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Good idea.  Alas this firebox glow nonsense is one gimmick

I'd normally agree with you Mike but having fitted a Modelu GWR fireman on the footplate of the Accurascale Manor, the effect is quite acceptable.

Edited by gwrrob
added detail.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Update on the sticking.

Giving it an extra two hours running seems to have solved the sticking.  I've been shunting it slowly up and down the test track most of the day and it has refused to stick once.  Lets see what Retford show brings next week when it works turn and turn about with others of the preserved fleet on NO PLACE.

Checking- the firebox glow mostly corresponds with the shovelling.  For a tank loco it is probably fired a lot more frequently than the prototype.

Les

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 09/11/2023 at 06:59, Silver Sidelines said:

After some twelve months or more I have got round to completing the writing up of the construction of The Great Way Round. 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/blogs/entry/26158-gwr-the-great-way-round-–-the-construction/

As part of the write up there is a YouTube link to a video made with the Camtruck - pushed by a Rapido 15xx.  To complement the Camtruck video there is birds eye view of the 15xx travelling around the layout - behind the scenes and all.  The 15xx runs very slowly and smoothly if you don't watch the chimney too long!

Not going to lie, I was kind of holding my breath that the loco would go around the curves and not derail and fall to its demise... 

• Friendly/supportive 1