WR ‘15XX’ 0-6-0PT - 00 Gauge

rapidoandy

• RMweb Premium

In the late 60s and early 70s when I worked on a Saturday in Platform Two Model Railway Shop in Wimbledon Broadway all second hand item were always tested in front of the customer on the oval test track. For new items we always asked the customer if they would like to see their purchase working and most said yes. A few said they did not want the box opened as they did not take their purchases out of the box and simply put them in a display cabinet. It was for that reason we never opened a box until asked to by the customer. For mail order items boxes were not opened but second hand items were tested.

Edited by Chris116
Auto corrupt at work
  • Like 9

Personally I have little faith in  a retailer tested locomotive.  One loco tested and verified by an included certificate as being tested instore was actually a non-runner when received.  Another received without a certificate but notated on the invoice as being tested was actually as poor a runner as the returned loco it replaced.

• RMweb Gold
On 27/12/2023 at 16:41, gwrrob said:

Yes, ugly and functional.

"Ugly" is a subjective opinion, and should not appear in a review.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Budgie said:

It is a term though I have heard said of the class by some enthusiasts, compared to the traditional Pannier they are brutal. That being said they are easier and quicker to prep and being Walsherts accellerate more quickly than a traditional Pannier. However you cannot pull a 15 up to one notch off mid gear due to the 15 having a fixed lead compared to the normal one with Stephensons which has an increasing lead as the engine is pulled up, so giving an increased amount of steam as pre admission before the full Live main steam is admitted. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Budgie said:

If 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder', then perhaps the same applies for 'ugly?'

But as a pannier lover, I might instead use the description 'purposeful'...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Budgie said:

Why not when it’s used tongue in cheek by the reviewer.

• Agree 3

• Moderators
23 hours ago, Budgie said:

Where has this standard been laid down and by whom?

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Where has this standard been laid down and by whom?

I would have thought it would be self-evident. If a review is full of the opinions of the reviewer, it is not going to be of much use to people who rely on the review to let them know what the model being reviewed is like.

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, Budgie said:

I would have thought it would be self-evident. If a review is full of the opinions of the reviewer, it is not going to be of much use to people who rely on the review to let them know what the model being reviewed is like.

What is a review then? 

Have you read the review to put context around the comment?

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Budgie said:

I've just re-read the relevant passage in the review and I'm not seeing the issue here at all. Completely in context and appropriate to the subject........and why are you commenting on this nearly three months after the review appeared in print ? 

Despite the odd bits of brass and copper, as Panniers go, it's certainly a case of popping lipstick on a pig. 

Rob. 

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

as Panniers go, it's certainly a case of popping lipstick on a pig.

Filed for future review similes. 😁

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
On 01/01/2024 at 23:05, Budgie said:

Why not? Most folk with a sense of humour can tell the difference between an adjective (and in this case a fairly well known adjective to describe this Class) and technical descriptives. If I can then anybody can. 

I think it's a Brute. Is that wrong too? (I don't mean a Luggage Trolly from the 70s).

Phil

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I've just re-read the relevant passage in the review and I'm not seeing the issue here at all. Completely in context and appropriate to the subject........and why are you commenting on this nearly three months after the review appeared in print ? 

Despite the odd bits of brass and copper, as Panniers go, it's certainly a case of popping lipstick on a pig. 

Rob. 

Is Lipstick on a Pig a similar metaphor to tipping the Velvet?

Yo

P

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Is Lipstick on a Pig a similar metaphor to tipping the Velvet?

Yo

P

No doubt there'll be a few pipe stems bitten through on reading that. 

( and quite a few searches made on google on reading this........those of a nervous disposition, you have been warned.......Bad Ducky) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Budgie said:

Simples - know how your reviewer works in terms of what they report about a model and how they report it.  That is the review bit you should be interested in.  Our interest, in one respect, is surely whether or not the model is accurately capturing the look and 'presence' of the real thing?  

This thread is about Rapido's 15XX and, as it happens I think the model has brilliantly caught the appearance and presence of these engines.  I don't care if someone doesn't like the look of a real 15XX  and its rather unusual outline for a  Swindon pannier tank (but there were good reasons for that).   Whether you think they looked rather spiffing (as I did), or whether you think them weird (as many did), or even ugly, that is merely a personal opinion.  If a reviewer uses any of those words, or simlar, they will be no more than the reviewer's feeling about the way it looks and that is not a review of the model - just an opinion about the real ones.  

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

I find the look of the 15xx perfectly acceptable and not in any way ugly. It has beauty, but it's a very different beauty to say an Adams T3.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5