WR ‘15XX’ 0-6-0PT - 00 Gauge

rapidoandy

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Extended version of video shewing the wealth of detail on the model. A bit of a County tease at the end too.

Edited by gwrrob
added detail.
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/06/2022 at 22:48, Mark Hamlin said:

Looks amazing.

Great news about the possibility of a County too

But thinking of Rapido's interest in what one might term 'older' engines I'm inclined to first ask which 'County' (or even if it might mean all three or two of the three🤪).  A 'County tank' would go rather well with Dapol's City Stock and ig f they announce either of the others we might well be looking at Countygate to replace Titigate as Hornby muscle in and say 'it's one of ours so nobody else can release one'.

http://www.greatwestern.org.uk/m_in_440_county.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_2221_Class#/media/File:GWR_County_tank_class_2221_(Howden,_Boys'_Book_of_Locomotives,_1907).jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_1000_Class#/media/File:Gloucester_Locomotive_Depot_geograph-2895614-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

But thinking of Rapido's interest in what one might term 'older' engines I'm inclined to first ask which 'County'

The video hint started out with the statement that all of Hawksworth's designs were available in modern model form, with a "phone call" correction and the 4-6-0 County was specified as not being to modern standards with a very small design drawing shown in a bubble window.

(the teaser is at the 4:47 point of the video).

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 19/06/2022 at 19:22, mdvle said:

The video hint started out with the statement that all of Hawksworth's designs were available in modern model form, with a "phone call" correction and the 4-6-0 County was specified as not being to modern standards with a very small design drawing shown in a bubble window.

(the teaser is at the 4:47 point of the video).

But a teaser is a teaser is exactly what it is - intended to produce a reaction.  So we (I) don't want Andy to forget that on the GWR the word 'County' meant far more than Hawksworth's reinvention of the 'Saint' concept for the late 1940s/50s.  Only problem he had to face was that it very quickly got as much of a bad name from enginemen as both of the predecessors that carried the County tag.  But after Sam Ell and his team got at the Hawksworth version it became everything its designer had meant it to be.  

Only problem for anyone who makes one is that means a variety of chimneys in order to make us all happy.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Only problem for anyone who makes one is that means a variety of chimneys in order to make us all happy.

I assume from that comment you haven't seen the sort of things they are doing for their North American models. I am sure a variety of chimneys will not be a problem for Rapido.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

I’d love to see a County 4-6-0 to modern standards but I’m not holding my breath

Why?

Even if Accurascale (or Rapido, or Dapol, or Bachmann) weren't to take it on, Hornby has pretty much run out of large and medium named classes that were painted green for new models.

Ignoring the fact that their older (Hawksworth) County is derived from a Dapol original that probably had its origins in Airfix days, they no doubt regard it as "one of theirs".🤡

OK their older Bulleid locos could also do with replacement, (ideally by someone who specifies better gears) but the Railroad-level County is in greater need.

John

• Like 1

For info, the GWR loco top 10 of the 2019 OO Wishlist Poll were (with number of votes in brackets):

Manor 4-6-0   (391)
Hawksworth 15xx  0-6-0PT  (298)
Saint 29xx 4-6-0   (264)
Bulldog 33xx 4-4-0   (228)
Hawksworth County 4-6-0   (197)
Aberdare 2-6-0   (181)
Great Bear 4-6-2   (180)
Metro Tank 2-4-0T   (179)
517 Class 0-4-2T   (169)
Duke 4-4-0   (162)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

22 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

But a teaser is a teaser is exactly what it is - intended to produce a reaction.  So we (I) don't want Andy to forget that on the GWR the word 'County' meant far more than Hawksworth's reinvention of the 'Saint' concept for the late 1940s/50s.  Only problem he had to face was that it very quickly got as much of a bad name from enginemen as both of the predecessors that carried the County tag.  But after Sam Ell and his team got at the Hawksworth version it became everything its designer had meant it to be.  

I didn’t know that Sam Ell had a hand in enhancing the Counties. That’s useful to know.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

For info, the GWR loco top 10 of the 2019 OO Wishlist Poll were (with number of votes in brackets):

Manor 4-6-0   (391)
Hawksworth 15xx  0-6-0PT  (298)
Saint 29xx 4-6-0   (264)
Bulldog 33xx 4-4-0   (228)
Hawksworth County 4-6-0   (197)
Aberdare 2-6-0   (181)
Great Bear 4-6-2   (180)
Metro Tank 2-4-0T   (179)
517 Class 0-4-2T   (169)
Duke 4-4-0   (162)

Hello everyone

The above is correct - but it needs to be added that the County was in The Top 50 in 2018 and only missed that accolade by about seven votes in 2019.

It has been a 'general rule of thumb' that as items get announced, those lower down the rungs tend to climb up.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 3

I just wish they would make the damned things instead of talking about it.  My father in law wants one, we have held off getting a K's model or adapting a 2251/8750/94XX as this has been announced and looks far better than I can cobble up.  I'm just wondering if he'll live long enough to get one, No not joking.

• Friendly/supportive 3

The popularity of the County should jump when Didcot get theirs built.

I'm still hoping someone will produce an SR W class one day.  The huge mid-tank steps and bogie steam brake make it interesting enough, besides its general good proportions.

Edited by rogerzilla
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• 4 weeks later...

image.png.d7370ed740b2120e85812eb6e871c728.png

Rapido has shared a render of the GWR 15xx in GWR green to gauge if there is any interest in them producing this livery. Here is what they have said on their site:

"Continuing our ‘what if?’ theme we thought we would give GWR era modellers the opportunity to add a 15xx to their collection. The 15xx was actually designed and ordered by the GWR – but delivered to the fledgling British Railways in 1949. Had nationalisation occurred later, or not at all this might have been!

We require a minimum number of orders before this product can proceed. If you would like to place an expression of interest please do so using the form below – if we reach sufficient orders by the time the order book closes on the 1st September we will email you to allow you to place your order as the model enters production."

You can register your interest here: https://rapidotrains.co.uk/br-15xx-pannier-tank/ (Just scroll down to the bottom). 

I know I certainly would love one of these. I already planned on taking the plain 15xx and repainting into this livery. With my plan, I was hoping the BR smokebox number plate would be easy to remove, with this, I wouldn't have to worry about anything! 😁

Edited by Ribird
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 22/06/2022 at 09:50, No Decorum said:

I didn’t know that Sam Ell had a hand in enhancing the Counties. That’s useful to know.

They dun gud in Kernow and Laira had a sprinkling. All gone by '62 I think?

P

I know this is just the first render and a what if livery (others please correct me on this on what colours they should be.) Shouldn't the extra bits be in green as well? Like the whistle shield, water cap, vents, and cab doors etc. I know the Bach 94xx's were in green. (NRM 9400 has black doors)