WR ‘15XX’ 0-6-0PT - 00 Gauge

rapidoandy

• RMweb Premium

I've put a pre-order in. Not exactly right for the geography of the revenue era version of S&P, but would fit in nicely for the heritage era for hauling excursion trains from Tynworth to Penmouth Harbour, much as what I would be using my USA Dock Tank for 🙂

Edited by Ian J.

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

I've put a pre-order in. Not exactly right for the geography of the revenue era version of S&P, but would fit in nicely for the heritage era for hauling excursion trains from Tynworth to Penmouth Harbour, much as what I would be using my USA Dock Tank for 🙂

A random musing, but I've always thought that if a 57xx Pannier and a USA Dock Tank decided that they loved each other very much, the 15xx is what their offspring would look like.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, Zero Gravitas said:

, the 15xx is what their offspring would look like.

It's often stated that the 15s were influenced by the USAs, but in my opinion it doesn't hold up if looked at in detail. I did a blog entry here FWIW. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, JimC said:

It's often stated that the 15s were influenced by the USAs, but in my opinion it doesn't hold up if looked at in detail. I did a blog entry here FWIW. 

The Swindon official version always seems to have been that the were intended to allow long periods shunting without the need to go over a pit for oiling.    I haven't got any times but it's likely that the time allowed for preparation was also a bit shorter as well.  Not that anything seems to have been said about them needing to go over a pit to empty the ashpan.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

1501 worked at Coventry Colliery but does anyone know where 1502 or 1509 worked?

I'm searching around for a reason to justify the NCB liveried model just ordered...

Edited by Footy

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Footy said:

1501 worked at Coventry Colliery but does anywhere know where 1502 or 1509 worked?

I'm searching around for a reason to justify the NCB liveried model just ordered...

They worked at the Keresley pit too and wore the maroon livery.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Bazza said:

I think that 1501 was a Southall engine . I remember seeing it as the pilot engine at the Iron Bridge sidings many times.

Bazza

Yes, 1501 was Southall

1500, 1506 and 1507 had spells at Old Oak according to BRdatabase

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Bazza said:

I think that 1501 was a Southall engine . I remember seeing it as the pilot engine at the Iron Bridge sidings many times.

Bazza

And for the record 1502 was a Didcot engine.

• Agree 1

On 01/09/2022 at 12:34, Bazza said:

And for the record 1502 was a Didcot engine.

According to "Didcot Engineman," 1502 did a pick up freight turn to Oxford with a driver who a medical case and could not get underneath to oil round.  Apparently loco and driver remained on this turn for several years.  A significant number of drivers were killed while oiling up especially the big ends which came very close to the firebox on 57XX etc, an unexpected movement crushed them against the searing hot front of the firebox which was pretty unsurvivable.  Equally a fair few dropped down into the pit when they heard another loco approach.   The GWR seems to have built 10 X 94XX and 10 X 15XX for comparison purposes.  Bit of a shame they didn't call it a day at that and build more of the more versatile 57XX.... Or a few diesel shunters...

Edited by DCB
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 04/09/2022 at 19:16, DCB said:

According to "Didcot Engineman," 1502 did a pick up freight turn to Oxford with a driver who a medical case and could not get underneath to oil round.  Apparently loco and driver remained on this turn for several years.  A significant number of drivers were killed while oiling up especially the big ends which came very close to the firebox on 57XX etc, an unexpected movement crushed them against the searing hot front of the firebox which was pretty unsurvivable.  Equally a fair few dropped down into the pit when they heard another loco approach.   The GWR seems to have built 10 X 94XX and 10 X 15XX for comparison purposes.  Bit of a shame they didn't call it a day at that and build more of the more versatile 57XX.... Or a few diesel shunters...

Comparing the two from a Drivers perspective. On a 15 everything is on the outside so you don't need a pit (there are 2 points on the brakeshaft at the back but it can be got to. That removes the safety aspects. Generally the motion on a 15 is quicker and easier to oil than a 57xx and they have a bit more poke. (the only pains being the axleboxes which have very small feeds and long tubes meaning without a herdy gerdy it can take some time.  The main difference really is that you cannot pull the gear up on a 15 anywhere near as much as on a 57 due to the increasing lead the latter with Stephenson's have as they are pulled up. 

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I don't think this has been mentioned before...

The plain black 1506 with no crest, will it have a smoke box number plate, or will it not have a smoke box number plate?

Personally I hope it won't (was going to be my own personal "What if?" before the GWR green livery was announced). Thanks if anyone knows.

16 hours ago, flockandroll said:

The plain black 1506 with no crest, will it have a smoke box number plate, or will it not have a smoke box number plate?

The plain black livery does have a smokebox number plate, sorry to disappoint (but it is accurate)!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1