WR ‘15XX’ 0-6-0PT - 00 Gauge

rapidoandy

9 hours ago, Ribird said:

image.png.d7370ed740b2120e85812eb6e871c728.png

Rapido has shared a render of the GWR 15xx in GWR green to gauge if there is any interest in them producing this livery. Here is what they have said on their site:

You can register your interest here: https://rapidotrains.co.uk/br-15xx-pannier-tank/ (Just scroll down to the bottom). 

That drawing doesn't look right. The bunker looks the same height as the tanks like the 94XX but the 15XX the bunker is higher than the tanks and the bunker handrail lines up with the tank top...  On the other hand I don't ever recall seeing a drawing of a 15XX which looks right.

I spent a lot of time looking at 15XX drawings and pictures when trying to make a 15XX out of a 94XX or a 57XX and realised a 2251 might be a better starting point as so few dimensions are common to the 94XX and those that are common are shown as having different dimensions in the drawing.  I never found a K's 15XX  then the Rapido model was announced so my plans are on hold, though If I have to wait much longer I have 6ft 6" X ^ft 6" chassis, motor gears 2251 body and a load of carved up dead panniers....."

On 22/06/2022 at 09:50, No Decorum said:

I didn’t know that Sam Ell had a hand in enhancing the Counties. That’s useful to know.

I  don't think even Ell sorted them.  One problem was the tenders had non standard spacers and buffers so they were coupled more tightly to coaches than other GW locos.   The County wasn't a great idea, it had a sloping throatplate boiler, a great idea in theory, not so clever in practice when applied to 4-6-0s. The GW came up with it for the Castles, Stanier took it to the LMS for later Jubilees and Black 5s when the Jubilees would not steam but they never matched the originals.  The Manors didn't steam either until Sam Ell tuned them up.  I have an idea the Counties had new tube plates if not new boilers in the 1950s but ultimately they couldn't improve on the Later series of Saints for performance.  6MT against 4P, although 6MT and banned from goods working sounds a bit pointless.  A decent County model would be great. Dapol/Hornby is under scale width over the cab, these were big locos, as were the 15XX and 94XX...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, DCB said:

these were big locos, as were the 15XX and 94XX...

It has to be said both are strong performers, the 15 is quicker to prep and doesn't need a pit, but on the road the 94 is more stable and has slightly more power. The model captures perfectly the look of a 15 and its amazing to see one appearing. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ribird said:

I know this is just the first render and a what if livery (others please correct me on this on what colours they should be.) Shouldn't the extra bits be in green as well? Like the whistle shield, water cap, vents, and cab doors etc. I know the Bach 94xx's were in green. (NRM 9400 has black doors)

BR Black only. Some lined for working station pilot duties. 1501 and 1505 ISTR.

Also three sold to the NCB which were red. 1501, 1502 and 1509.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_1500_Class

As for the GWR liveries, look here.

Tops of pannier and saddle tanks and fittings. - Green

http://www.swindonworks.co.uk/prototype-information---great-western-railway.html

Doors? I'm unsure. I would say that 9400 is correct, but it was originally restored with the wrong livery!

https://www.mediastorehouse.com/steam-museum-of-the-gwr/locomotives/steam-standard-gauge-locomotives/pannier-tank-locomotive-9400-892563.html

It's difficult enough telling what colour they were on red Duchesses in colour photos.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, DCB said:

That drawing doesn't look right. The bunker looks the same height as the tanks like the 94XX but the 15XX the bunker is higher than the tanks and the bunker handrail lines up with the tank top...  On the other hand I don't ever recall seeing a drawing of a 15XX which looks right.

That's not, I believe, a Rapido drawing. I think its based on one of mine I gave them a copy of so they had a quick and easy vector image for use in publicity material. Don't regard it as representative of the model. All errors on that sketch are down to me, not Rapido. There will, I imagine be several errors, as although I did the best I could a completely accurate drawing is a surprisingly difficult thing to manage unless you spend a great deal of time, effort and money. Now I look again I'm having bad thoughts about the reversing shaft arm.

In turn I based it on BR WR drawing 124595 in its ex Microfiilm format from the NRM. This isn't perhaps the best image in the NRM collection, being a bit distorted and hard to read dimensions from. However I'm reasonably confident that my reading of the top of the sidetank as being below the bunker top but above the handrail is correct as per the GA drawing. Whether the handrail was located exactly as per the GA drawing when the locomotives were turned out from Swindon works - or indeed whether the handrail location was consistent to a fraction of an inch on all ten locomotives - well, that's quite another thing.

I like to think, though, that my drawing is good enough for the intended purpose of giving you an impression of the livery options Rapido are offering you. Apologies if its inadequate.

Jim Champ

PS, if you want a real howler in locomotive drawings, no less a person that C.J. Freezer managed a beauty in his "Locomotives in Outline GWR". Anyone who has the book take a good look at the cab and bunker of the 94xx on page 32. I hope none of my drawings have an error of quite that magnitude and I take great comfort from it. Even Homer nods!

Edited by JimC
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Rather OT I'm afraid but don't forget that the 'Counties' - onv ce sorted by Sam Ell and his team did what they were intended to do - a 2 cylinder engine which on passenger trains could take the same load as a 4 cylinder engine ('Castle').  In that respect, albeit going wrong with the original double chimney, Hawksworth got his basic philosophy right when it came to the 'County'.  But alas the initial problems resulted in the building of more (and of course more expensive) 'Castles' rather than more Counties.

And don't overlook the key fact that when it d first appeared 1000 was put straight onto a 'Castle' diagram with no reduction in loads so Hawksworth's intention was clear right from the start. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, JimC said:

That's not, I believe, a Rapido drawing. I think its based on one of mine I gave them a copy of so they had a quick and easy vector image for use in publicity material. Don't regard it as representative of the model. All errors on that sketch are down to me, not Rapido. There will, I imagine be several errors, as although I did the best I could a completely accurate drawing is a surprisingly difficult thing to manage unless you spend a great deal of time, effort and money. Now I look again I'm having bad thoughts about the reversing shaft arm.

In turn I based it on BR WR drawing 124595 in its ex Microwave format from the NRM. This isn't perhaps the best image in the NRM collection, being a bit distorted and hard to read dimensions from. However I'm reasonably confident that my reading of the top of the sidetank as being below the bunker top but above the handrail is correct as per the GA drawing. Whether the handrail was located exactly as per the GA drawing when the locomotives were turned out from Swindon works - or indeed whether the handrail location was consistent to a fraction of an inch on all ten locomotives - well, that's quite another thing.

I like to think, though, that my drawing is good enough for the intended purpose of giving you an impression of the livery options Rapido are offering you. Apologies if its inadequate.

Jim Champ

PS, if you want a real howler in locomotive drawings, no less a person that C.J. Freezer managed a beauty in his "Locomotives in Outline GWR". Anyone who has the book take a good look at the cab and bunker of the 94xx on page 32. I hope none of my drawings have an error of quite that magnitude and I take great comfort from it. Even Homer nods!

No worries.    Ian Beattie was the master of inaccuracies. Peco followed his 2251 drawing and totally cocked it up tender wise.  Sadly many older kits followed contemporary drawings before GA drawings were available,  the Wills 94XX and the like are little if anything like their prototypes cab wise. That said the Will 94XX cab might worth exploring for a 15XX... bodge.

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Rather OT I'm afraid but don't forget that the 'Counties' - onv ce sorted by Sam Ell and his team did what they were intended to do - a 2 cylinder engine which on passenger trains could take the same load as a 4 cylinder engine ('Castle').  In that respect, albeit going wrong with the original double chimney, Hawksworth got his basic philosophy right when it came to the 'County'.  But alas the initial problems resulted in the building of more (and of course more expensive) 'Castles' rather than more Counties.

And don't overlook the key fact that when it d first appeared 1000 was put straight onto a 'Castle' diagram with no reduction in loads so Hawksworth's intention was clear right from the start. 

She went onto duties shared with Castles and Kings initially, it was only later they were given the lower power class of 6MT against 7P of the Castles.   With the wartime 60 limit they probably were the equal of Castles, but they couldn't do 98 on the flat like a Castle (Clun Castle 1964 City of Truro commemorative rail tour)   I believe the damper levers worked the opposite way to Halls and everything else GWR which didn't help

Edited by DCB

13 minutes ago, DCB said:

No worries.    Ian Beattie was the master of inaccuracies.   Sadly many older kits in particular followed the drawings, and the Wills 94XX and the like are little if anything like their prototypes cab wise. That said the Will 94XX cab might worth exploring for a 15XX...

Ian Beattie was a generation after Wills, Keyser, etc.

His drawings first appeared in the 1980s, not 1960s. First drawings were the Locomotives To Scale books by Bradford Barton. He then worked for PECO.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Western-Railway-Locomotives-G-W-R/dp/0851534007/ref=sr_1_2?crid=35K3GGB3G95L9&keywords=locomotives+to+scale&qid=1658324446&s=books&sprefix=locomotives+to+scale%2Cstripbooks%2C83&sr=1-2

So he can't be to blame for any perceived inaccuracies in any kits. You're blaming the wrong person.

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DCB said:

She went onto duties shared with Castles and Kings initially, it was only later they were given the lower power class of 6MT against 7P of the Castles.   With the wartime 60 limit they probably were the equal of Castles, but they couldn't do 98 on the flat like a Castle (Clun Castle 1964 City of Truro commemorative rail tour)   I believe the damper levers worked the opposite way to Halls and everything else GWR which didn't help

A regular 'Castle' turn actually - one of my past Running Foremen was the regular Fireman on 1000 when it was first in traffic.

However whatever they worked at under the BR system they were still allowed the same passenger train loads on the same timings as a 'Castle' in their working lives post re-draughting.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

9 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Ian Beattie was a generation after Wills, Keyser, etc.

His drawings first appeared in the 1980s, not 1960s. First drawings were the Locomotives To Scale books by Bradford Barton. He then worked for PECO.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Western-Railway-Locomotives-G-W-R/dp/0851534007/ref=sr_1_2?crid=35K3GGB3G95L9&keywords=locomotives+to+scale&qid=1658324446&s=books&sprefix=locomotives+to+scale%2Cstripbooks%2C83&sr=1-2

So he can't be to blame for any perceived inaccuracies in any kits. You're blaming the wrong person.

Jason

Hi, Yes I corrected the post.

No worries.    Ian Beattie was the master of inaccuracies. Peco followed his 2251 drawing and totally cocked it up tender wise.  Sadly many older kits followed contemporary drawings before GA drawings were available,  the Wills 94XX and the like are little if anything like their prototypes cab wise. That said the Will 94XX cab might worth exploring for a 15XX... bodge.

• Like 2

On 20/07/2022 at 06:24, Steamport Southport said:

As for the GWR liveries, look here.

Tops of pannier and saddle tanks and fittings. - Green

http://www.swindonworks.co.uk/prototype-information---great-western-railway.html

Doors? I'm unsure. I would say that 9400 is correct, but it was originally restored with the wrong livery!

Yes, the fittings should be green. That's all I was looking for, thank you. 

The regular release of the Bachmann 94xx has the doors as green. 9400, in real life, has black doors (and the Bachmann NRM 9400 release reflects that). I always love seeing the original livery 9400 was preserved as

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/07/2022 at 07:30, Ribird said:

Rapido has shared a render of the GWR 15xx in GWR green to gauge if there is any interest in them producing this livery.

Oh, wicked, bad, naughty Rapido! I had decided that I was going to pass on the 15xx - too late for my layout etc.

This came along in my inbox today, and naturally I clicked "yes" I am interested. I know it's fictional. I don't care. If they make it, I will purchase it.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 19/08/2022 at 20:56, rogerzilla said:

The 1:1 version of this is almost at the end of its boiler ticket - the SVR autumn gala is one of the last chances to see it running.

20220421_140228.jpg

It may be, but it still goes well, does not have as much movement in the boxes which some have and is still a pocket rocket. Sadly her ashpan really should have a sound track of 'I'm a twisted fire starter' at the moment. Lets hope for wetter weather. One of the easiest engines to prep and dispose and a pleasure to drive. Just hotter than a normal pannier! The model looks outstanding too. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, BroadLeaves said:

I'm not a Facebook person.

You don't have to have a Facebook account, you can view it the same anyone else.

• Thanks 1

On 24/08/2022 at 20:02, mdvle said:

They do have a YouTube site....

https://www.youtube.com/rapidotrainsuk

Very impressive but just a little more work needed synchronising chuffs to wheel revolutions, about 15 degrees out at low speed and maybe 30 degrees out at higher speed.  Certainly not QUITE there.....

My order for an NCB one is in with Gaugemaster.

Les

• Funny 2