Hornby 2021 - Ruston & Hornsby 88DS

AY Mod

22 hours ago, Ruston said:

I only asked why no one from Hornby visits this forum. I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition. 😬

Have a look at an 88DS instead.

88Dsw8.jpg.96e1e9a16b676c5c9636844c4676cb3f.jpg

You had to do it didn't you Dave

The 88DS never crossed my minds when it was announced, simply because I didn't think I wanted one, and there were none local to my sphere of interest.  Then I discovered NCB Western Area had one - RH338413, and that it spent some time at Hilton Main - probably shutting the operation down and lifting the track.   Then Accurascale announce the self same RH338413 in O gauge.  so all of a sudden I am interested after all !! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

I sent a polite email to Hornby asking if this model was still going to be released and, if so, when.

Within 24 hours I had a reply with a link for preorders but no mention of a release date.

I then sent a reply thanking them for the confirmation and asking again about a date.

That was Tuesday but as yet no response…

steve

• Like 1

And just to make me look a fool, this arrived a few minutes ago…

”Dear Steve, 

Thank you for your email. This model is still being produced, with the first SKU version expected in the warehouse within the next two weeks. If you could let me know the specific SKU you have on order I would be more than happy to see when the model is due into us. 

Kind Regards,

Sam Coventon

Quality Control & Technical Support Assistant”

So now we know.

steve 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, steve1 said:

”Dear Steve, 

Thank you for your email. This model is still being produced, with the first SKU version expected in the warehouse within the next two weeks. If you could let me know the specific SKU you have on order I would be more than happy to see when the model is due into us. 

Kind Regards,

Sam Coventon

So now we know.

steve 

Now i wonder if they can give an expected date for each model, i am waiting for the BR eastern region engineers version !

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Paul.Uni said:

They do. You just have to look on the individual product page.

Screenshot_20231103_111436_SamsungInternet.jpg.1d5361923bc402ec4c223af1768379e1.jpg

Thats an approx 120 day time span which we keep seeing moved backwards,  from Steve 1 earlier post i was just wondering if they were able to be a bit more specific regarding date.

• Like 1

On 03/11/2023 at 10:49, steve1 said:

”Dear Steve, 

Kind Regards,

Sam Coventon

So now we know.

steve 

And today's Kernow MRC weekly newsletter says BR blue 20 is 'imminent'. Did I miss the EP stage.....?

Hmmm.....think I'll have to get a little inventive to excuse one of these, like pretending it ran for a lot longer than a year as 97020 after the Class 06 took over at Reading Signal Works and became a sort of roving little brother to the PWM quintet. Just don't ask how it got to put in an appearance in a far-flung corner of the Western Region.

What do you reckon?!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone got one of these yet? What I want to know is if that long chassis block can be chopped down or not. I can't think why they have modelled it with the chassis block running from end to end, giving the appearance of a normal plate frame on a steam loco, or on a traditional rod-driven diesel. It looks ridiculous and as I can't imagine that any of the mechanism is that far toward the ends I don't understand why they've made it so.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Ruston said:

Has anyone got one of these yet? What I want to know is if that long chassis block can be chopped down or not. I can't think why they have modelled it with the chassis block running from end to end, giving the appearance of a normal plate frame on a steam loco, or on a traditional rod-driven diesel. It looks ridiculous and as I can't imagine that any of the mechanism is that far toward the ends I don't understand why they've made it so.

Wonder if its to get sufficient weight into the model for pick up purposes?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Exactly - I don't think that they design for the 'Ruston' types, who want minimalist chassis for hacking purposes!

CJI.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Possibly.

It seems that most of it is to give somewhere to fix the tension lock couplers to. The keep plate doesn't run end to end, so won't be affected by the removal of this excess material. It will all be casting with nothing essential in it which means those of use who use 3-links can hack the chassis block at the ends to improve the appearance. I doubt that anything can be done about the solid block within the wheelbase but I can just about live with that.

The guinea pig.

368513395_6923191457748470_777136158895803246_n.jpg.94d404c41d6a08f133aeed83d8b001ad.jpg

I'll have that stripped to a bare chassis block at the weekend and it will meet Mr. Hacksaw, and Mr. Milling machine. I don't think it will be a massive improvement as it can't be taken back as far as it ought to be, thanks to the positioning of the keep retaining screws, but it will be better than it is at present.

The loss of 20 grammes or so in weight shouldn't make pickup any worse as it's still going to weigh at least as much as the 48DS, which run well enough on DC without the wagon connected. The owner of the loco uses DCC, with Stay Alives, as do I, so it won't bother either of us.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

I went to my local model shop to buy one of these for myself. I always ask to see any loco that I buy running on the test track first. It was put on the track and power applied but it didn't move or make a sound, so the shop owner took it off to look at the pickups but finding nothing obviously wrong there, placed it back on the track. This time the motor could be heard whirring but there was no movement in either direction.

He took the display model out of the cabinet and tried that with the same result that the motor could be heard but the loco wouldn't move. The shop had no more in stock, so I left empty-handed.

It seems that it could be a risk but I've ordered one online and as I have since heard of one of these "melting" as soon as power was applied I will be taking the body off before it goes on a track to test it.

The one pictured in my previous post had wires to the DCC socket so poorly fixed that some fell off when the body was removed.

Has anyone else had problems such as this?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 hours ago, Ruston said:

I went to my local model shop to buy one of these for myself. I always ask to see any loco that I buy running on the test track first. It was put on the track and power applied but it didn't move or make a sound, so the shop owner took it off to look at the pickups but finding nothing obviously wrong there, placed it back on the track. This time the motor could be heard whirring but there was no movement in either direction.

He took the display model out of the cabinet and tried that with the same result that the motor could be heard but the loco wouldn't move. The shop had no more in stock, so I left empty-handed.

It seems that it could be a risk but I've ordered one online and as I have since heard of one of these "melting" as soon as power was applied I will be taking the body off before it goes on a track to test it.

The one pictured in my previous post had wires to the DCC socket so poorly fixed that some fell off when the body was removed.

Has anyone else had problems such as this?

Mine was the same on arrival from Hornby. However it’s a very simple fix the worm gear end of the motor needs reseating (takes a few seconds). Suspect a lot of these will have become displaced during transit as the motor is not secure enough for it and Hornby sent the model loose in another bigger box 😭

• Informative/Useful 7