Hornby 2021 - 4 & 6 wheel period coaches

AY Mod

On 02/05/2023 at 10:15, darthmh said:

Hi All,   Hornby are now showing some 4 wheel and 6 wheel GWR coaches on preorder,  The colour looks different from the previous releases.  Has anyone got an info on this?

image.png.9a91ec98fffe1b3ce9f4bcd761fbb425.png

It looks like the mouldings are painted black — as they should be — not brown as originally shown by Hornby.

So maybe there's hope, after all!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, NZRedBaron said:

So, how many passengers could you plausibly have in each version of the coach models? I have a wild idea for my projected line, but I'd want to get a rough idea for how many packs of passengers I'd need.

That depends on what you're modelling. If it's an 1870s commuter train into London Bridge, it'd be packed - 10 per third-class compartment, 8 per second, 6 per first. A 1920s rural branch line at 3pm on a January Saturday, probably one or two in the train.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I think the true answer is related to Bistromathics, in that the number of seats in the available carriages can be any number except exactly the number of passengers that wish to travel on said conveyance.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

If it's any interest, the idea I mentioned was that due to weird and complicated reasons, a light railway I've created had an agreement with the Great Eastern Railway, which gave the light railway limited running rights on GER metals, between King's Lynn and London; and that similarly, the light railway has need to run a (comparatively short) regular boat train from a harbour it services, either to King's Lynn, or indeed all the way to London; and that post-Grouping, the arrangement is still in effect with the LNER.

• Like 2

On 02/05/2023 at 15:15, darthmh said:

Hi All,   Hornby are now showing some 4 wheel and 6 wheel GWR coaches on preorder,  The colour looks different from the previous releases.  Has anyone got an info on this?

Kernow have got images of the GWR 6 wheelers up on their website which match the Hornby images

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Well, yes, a RTR LNWR 12-wheeler would be quite the thing!

Imagine tooling it up and only releasing it as the cinema coach though. It’s almost worth it just for the entertainment value on here!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Couldn't they just use the LMS one?

Many buying these probably wouldn't care (or even know) it was wrong, and manufacturers have done far worse....

Would it be nearer or further from prototype than either the Hattons or the Hornby 6-wheeler?

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Would it be nearer or further from prototype than either the Hattons or the Hornby 6-wheeler?

Well, it's got the correct number of wheels!

https://www.hattons.co.uk/directory/versiondetails/5310/dapol_oo_lms_1930_68_12_wheel_dining_car

Decent model for it's time. There was also going to be a sleeper but it never appeared. Announced by Airfix not long before they went under and completed by Dapol.

For those unaware this is what we are discussing.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/45162020351/

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Well, it's got the correct number of wheels!

https://www.hattons.co.uk/directory/versiondetails/5310/dapol_oo_lms_1930_68_12_wheel_dining_car

Decent model for it's time. There was also going to be a sleeper but it never appeared. Announced by Airfix not long before they went under and completed by Dapol.

For those unaware this is what we are discussing.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/45162020351/

Jason

The cinema coach in the flickr photograph appears to be the former LNWR D2 sleeping carriage, now at the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre, Quainton. It has, according the their website been restored as far as possible to the original design externally but kept as the cinema coach internally. An opportunity for one of the RTR manufacturers/commissioners to scan it? It could be sold in LNWR , LMS or BR blue/grey livery, although the latter would be the least accurate body style. But given the popularity of the Hornby and Hattons generic  pre-group coaches, would that matter?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/05/2023 at 15:15, darthmh said:

Well if it's not green and cream, that would be a start!

In livery terms they seem to have upped their game in the face of the Hattons GWR coaches, and any such progress is to be welcomed. 

First I note that the lining actually appears to be black. It wasn't in the initial release, but had been left sludge green/brown.

Second, the gold edging looks crisper

Third, this looks to be a later livery, as we can see the City of London 'supporter' to the Garter livery.

Fourth, we somehow now have the cream surround to the droplights

Fifth, equally miraculously, we appear to have bolections to the quarter lights, and you can see what a visual difference this makes. As there were no bolections as tooled (a result of the lazy adaptation of Stroudley drawings) I wonder how I appear to be seeing bolections in varnished mahogany. I wonder if Hornby has found a way to paint them on the glazing?

image.png.a822f982299492bc4e5a08d52108b02d.png

For comparison, the rather ropey original release, which shows how much better this new version would be:

20220922_134049.jpg.a0077f4eae659846d911eb273a4718fa.jpg

Now it must be said that, even now, Hattons's representation of GWR livery is unlikely to be surpassed; it has the distance lines on the cream panels for a start. It must also be said that the panel style seen on the brake coach, without waist panels, is unsympathetic to the GWR guise. I would also argue that, overall the Hornby coaches are physically a good deal less refined than Hattons. We can point here to the nasty buffers, axle boxes and gas lamp tops, the crude moulded end detail and the illiteracy of the design, for instance in not really understanding whether they were making a coach with a steel channel solebar or one with a wooden one with an upper footboard, and the nonsensical lower footboard position. 

Nevertheless, perhaps sometimes a pig can look more alluring in fresh lipstick, and this image of the new Hornby coach gives a good representation of GWR livery, and with the advantage of GWR style commode handles, it is a vast improvement and does look quite impressive.  

And it looks like the 4-wheelers have received a similar re-vamp of the livery:

image.png.ca6679db6f9bdeadab5dbb508f4ad045.png

One can see the improvement again in the S&DJR coaches, where, again, the presence of mahogany bolections, or something representing them, makes a huge difference:

image.png.bb8bce799fd8316702340e58a00539ac.png

Edited by Edwardian
spelling
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, NZRedBaron said:

So, quick question; I have many loose ideas floating around my head- and one of them is painting up a rake of coaches for a light railway; how good are the Hornby coaches, in terms of 'bashability'?

The brake ends are separate and glued on and they are moulded in clear plastic and could be altered or replaced. Adding or removing beading should make a difference in appearance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The brake ends are separate and glued on and they are moulded in clear plastic and could be altered or replaced. Adding or removing beading should make a difference in appearance.

Is the main body of the coach moulded in clear plastic as well ?

If not, how do they go about producing the clear windows in the side of the coaches.

Ray

• Like 2