Hornby 2021 - P2 new tooling

AY Mod

32 minutes ago, AdamOrmorod said:

The difference with 2006's boiler isn't just the washout plugs, but the geometry is different too. The other have no gap between the final "round" boiler band (the proper name escapes me) and the firebox slope, whereas there is an appreciable gap between them on 2006.

A friend contacted the design team who said they had no intention of tooling for this, a shame as Wolf is the coolest name imo

I’ve been squinting at pictures in the “Green Book” and I think you’re right. The boiler cladding sheet behind the last round boiler band and the boiler band over the firebox is certainly longer. I’m not absolutely certain but I think the front of the firebox cladding slopes more too. I agree with you that not tooling for Wolf of Badenoch is a shame; its boiler was unique within the class and was the future of LNER boiler design.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I am only going from memory but I think the unique boiler was swapped to a different one of the class before they were rebuilt to A2/2s. I was mistaken, see 2 posts below. If that is correct then Wolf must have had the regular boiler at some time. Will look it up in the green book when I get home.

Edited by Dominion
Correcting mistake

2 minutes ago, Dominion said:

Sadly I was mistaken 2 posts above. It seems the 108 boiler with the longer combustion chamber stayed with 2006 for its full life as a P2. Tom

I suppose scots region could always pretend that the boiler got swapped. 😈 After all, if we have to check differences in a reference book, most people would be no wiser.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Still, a lost opportunity I think. If they can make all the others, even EM in both configurations, this should also be possible. Of course, I have absolutely no idea about the cost and the return on that. I would have bought WoB, and I don't think I'm the only one. 

I agree about most people not being any wiser. My father, working his whole life with trains, been on most of the UK's heritage lines and has an attic, basement and garden full of models, thought that my rebuild Hush-hush was an A4. 

• Like 1

I've also had a swize in the green book, was the firebox slope less obtuse on 2006 than on the others? 2002's seems to come down to the footplate at a far sharper angle in comparison. 

The idea that I'd had, was a 'What if', i.e if 2006 hadn't been rebuilt and made it into BR service as a P2, Lined Green would look lovely on a P2 after all. 

ScR

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, scots region said:

I've also had a swize in the green book, was the firebox slope less obtuse on 2006 than on the others? 2002's seems to come down to the footplate at a far sharper angle in comparison. 

The idea that I'd had, was a 'What if', i.e if 2006 hadn't been rebuilt and made it into BR service as a P2, Lined Green would look lovely on a P2 after all. 

ScR

Aha! You too see the slope which I remarked on in my post at the top of this page.

If you’re thinking of painting Wolf into Brunswick green, then I think the shape of the boiler hardly matters much. What about BR express blue with black and white lining?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Dare I post this ? Hornby justifiably have come in for a lot of stick for quite a while. This model reassures me that they can still produce models that are up there with the best. I am impressed with my 2005.

I haven’t got a P2 yet but from what I’ve seen and read on here, you seem to be right. As you say, Hornby has had a lot of stick for quite a while but I think it has been justified. Hornby seems to have taken a very long time to progress from 8-pin sockets and has has a series of clangers. It has taken a very long time indeed to sort out decent paint finishes on its steamers. Keeping an eye on half a dozen different factories and going out to tender must be difficult. I keep thinking of the idea to stop discounting “because it devalues the brand”. I think that repeated clangers do more to devalue the brand than discounting. Still, credit where it’s due. Let’s hope that Hornby has turned the corner.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

Aha! You too see the slope which I remarked on in my post at the top of this page.

If you’re thinking of painting Wolf into Brunswick green, then I think the shape of the boiler hardly matters much. What about BR express blue with black and white lining?

Also very fetching. Mind you there was never a machine that looked bad in lined black.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, No Decorum said:

____if_things_were_different_by_daxserv_d5rcxtl-fullview.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, maico said:

____if_things_were_different_by_daxserv_d5rcxtl-fullview.jpg

Oooooooo! (Like isn’t strong enough.) That looks like the experimental purple-blue before the final shade was chosen. I think streamlined P2s make A4s look a bit stubby in comparison. I don’t like the way the A4’s valances were removed. I think it would have looked better to remove them entirely with cylinders and steam chests of conventional appearance. However, “There’s a war on, you know.”

Blue wheels are a big plus.

Edited by No Decorum
Afterthought.

13 hours ago, scots region said:

That's the style I want. Hornby should only exploit this model by applying all the potential liveries the P2's could should have carried.

12 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Dare I post this ? Hornby justifiably have come in for a lot of stick for quite a while. This model reassures me that they can still produce models that are up there with the best. I am impressed with my 2005.

There's been a steady stream of 'superior' despite the turbulence; this thread started by Maico talks to the metal bodied steamers that Hornby have released, those in the standard range curiously without any marketing splash.

51 minutes ago, DonnyRailMan said:

My P2 Lord President arrived at Severn Crescent Railway the other day. Just waiting to get it running on rolling Road running in.

20230811_224253.jpg.3ce018665c213c84e47fa5d6c506f7ab.jpg20230811_224253.jpg.3ce018665c213c84e47fa5d6c506f7ab.jpg

20230811_224154.jpg

Those are lovely pictures and make me dribble. No wonder your hand shook and you posted them three times! It’s hard to tell but is there a swelling over those big cylinders?

• RMweb Premium

Concerning the missing guard irons,

Hornby replied the same day, but I didn't see it. But they are aware of the problem, and have contacted the supplier, to produce extra. When they arrive, they will be send out. They asked for my adress, so I suggest anybody in the same situation to contact them. 

• Like 3

Has anyone noticed some slack in the third driving axle? I am running mine in on the rolling road and that axle is wobbling a fair bit, it's like there's slack on the bearings. All other axles are OK. The third axle is the one that is driven by the motor so I think it might be to give the mechanism some compliance.

• Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Has anyone noticed some slack in the third driving axle? I am running mine in on the rolling road and that axle is wobbling a fair bit, it's like there's slack on the bearings. All other axles are OK. The third axle is the one that is driven by the motor so I think it might be to give the mechanism some compliance.

Hi TomScrut, I`ve not noticed that on my example but I`ll go and put in on the rolling road and check it. However what I have noticed is that it does 'hesitate' on 3rd radius curves. My layout is long but narrow, 21 foot long with 2 continues loops using 2nd & 3rd radius curves at either end. My example will hesitate about 3/4 of the way around on the outside - 3rd radius - curve. It doesn`t stop but there is enough hesitation to notice. Now I have run the loco in and applied a very small amount of oil to the recommended point on the loco. So this is with 6 Hornby Gresley's behind the tender. I have also ran it 'light engine' on the inside 2rd radius loop curves and I do not recall a problem but that was in a left hand turn, the 3rd radius is a right hand turn. So over the next few days I`ll check that 3rd axle and run the engine 'light' around both the 2nd & 3rd radius curves in both directions and see what the story is.

Has anyone else experienced this?     

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rshakes3 said:

but I`ll go and put in on the rolling road and check it

Thanks. I will run mine on my layout today or tomorrow.

Something I also noticed is the nameplates in the bag are smaller than those printed onto the loco. Can see the edge at both ends.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Nothing on 2005, very, very little on 2003, and I only saw that after looking for it because you asked. On the short straight I have out, and running light, I couldn't see it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

P2 in wartime. The 'Streamlined Bugattti' P2s only ran in 2 liveries before the Thompson rebuild started in 1943. So, my 2003 Lord President now sports its wartime coat, and looks pretty good next to 2005 Thane of Fife. Its not perfect (and I don't take great pictures) but I haven't done a repaint before and I'm quite pleased with it. It will look good next to its wartime sisters A4 and B17/5 that I have, now to get going on the W1 as the next project.

P2 pair.jpg

P2 backandfront.jpg

P2 fronts.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7
  • Round of applause 1

18 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Thanks. I will run mine on my layout today or tomorrow.

Something I also noticed is the nameplates in the bag are smaller than those printed onto the loco. Can see the edge at both ends.

Hello all, so I`ve run my example on the rolling road and there was really not much movement at all on the 3rd driving axle. I also put it in my cradle upside down and ran it and again not a lot to report - I did take a short video but it saved as an MP4 file so I can`t upload it - yet. 

Also I ran my loco light around both the 2nd & 3rd radius curves and on both left hand circuits there were no issues at all  but again a little hesitation on the right hand 3rd radius and a bit 'more' on the right hand 2rd radius curves. Over time I think it will ease and I`m not overly concerned. So hope that is useful🙂 

Just now, Rshakes3 said:

Hello all, so I`ve run my example on the rolling road and there was really not much movement at all on the 3rd driving axle. I also put it in my cradle upside down and ran it and again not a lot to report - I did take a short video but it saved as an MP4 file so I can`t upload it - yet. 

Also I ran my loco light around both the 2nd & 3rd radius curves and on both left hand circuits there were no issues at all  but again a little hesitation on the right hand 3rd radius and a bit 'more' on the right hand 2rd radius curves. Over time I think it will ease and I`m not overly concerned. So hope that is useful🙂 

Also too, I`ve applied the extra name plates and have no issues with them.