Hornby 2021 - P2 new tooling

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium

Hornby don’t need to rush with 2007 as the real thing is probably the best part of 2 years away from completion!

My daughter and I had a trip to Darlington today to see ‘Prince of Wales’ new home at the first open day at the new facility. 

IMG_3579.jpeg.c41a5de5e3599f4d547f0224971e4ded.jpeg

It’s a really impressive operation. But as you can see the locomotive still needs a boiler amongst other key components. 

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, SteveM666 said:

Hornby released my parcels to DPD on Thursday but DPD have decided that they don’t deliver at the weekend so I may get mine on Monday. So that will be 72+ hours for a journey of less than 60 miles.

Your lucky, mine is spending the weekend in a Croydon industrial estate.

i hope it still has wheels when it arrives.

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 3

For everyone asking about Earl a few days ago, here’s their engine shed saying this Earl will have deflectors, which is the same month they were announced. It’s even hyperlinked to R3984 https://uk.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/engine-shed/great-gresleys-stunning-shunters-and-complex-coaches

Another Engine Shed talking about it: 

https://uk.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/engine-shed/p2-and-proud-celebrating-pride

A third Engine Shed talking about it: 

https://uk.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/engine-shed/new-p2-me-and-you

But looks like once physical samples were made, any mention of the deflectors were dropped. 

IMG_1345.jpeg

Edited by Ribird
Another link
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Your lucky, mine is spending the weekend in a Croydon industrial estate.

i hope it still has wheels when it arrives.

Both mine came via dpd local and was delivered yesterday unfortunately I'm away but they have arrived. Now the egger rush to get home. 

Ben

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Steam here! said:

Hi all, I picked my P2 on the other day 2003 “Lord President” and have just noticed in the accessory pack it’s missing the guard irons.

is anyone missing there’s?

Apart from that a really nice loco.

Has Lord President got the etched nameplates in the accessory pack?

Just seen some pics of 2002 that someone has had delivered over on instagram. Can confirm that no smoke deflectors are included in the model, and it therefore depicts the period before they were installed 

12 hours ago, Steam here! said:

Hi all, I picked my P2 on the other day 2003 “Lord President” and have just noticed in the accessory pack it’s missing the guard irons.

is anyone missing there’s?

Apart from that a really nice loco.

Mine missing front coupler 

And can't do second radius and reverse just slows down

22 minutes ago, Adi said:

Mine missing front coupler 

And can't do second radius and reverse just slows down

Thanks Adi, I thought it was just me being unlucky.

I’ll take a look at your review, can’t do second radius?

I would of thought it would of managed like “Cock O’ the North”

could be a back to back issue, could be too much play on the pony truck?

The good news, I’ve been told I can swap the accessory pack for a complete one.

2 hours ago, Steam here! said:

These are the bits I’m on on about that are missing from the accessory pack.

I’ve checked the loco have found the holes that these would go in, but tucked right in towards the top under the side skirts.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Them things are Guard Irons, fitted to all(?) locos to knock foreign objects off the rails before the wheels might hit them which might cause a derailment.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I’ll be interested to know if anyone else is using second radius curves is having a similar experience, I tested mine (it was on a straight peice of track, I’ll get some 3rd radius curves out when I get some free time)and see how it performs). I’ll be using minimum 3rd/4th radius and streamline points on the next layout.

Overall, I think it’s a great loco, very well built and there’s good weight for traction, very detailed cab, firebox flicker, improved loco to tender connection.

Like the new boxes these are coming in and the information that’s printed on the side and the updated service/manual sheets.

I think these new P2S will do very well and looking forward to receiving the other three as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steam here! said:

I’ll be interested to know if anyone else is using second radius curves is having a similar experience, I tested mine (it was on a straight peice of track, I’ll get some 3rd radius curves out when I get some free time)and see how it performs). I’ll be using minimum 3rd/4th radius and streamline points on the next layout.

Overall, I think it’s a great loco, very well built and there’s good weight for traction, very detailed cab, firebox flicker, improved loco to tender connection.

Like the new boxes these are coming in and the information that’s printed on the side and the updated service/manual sheets.

I think these new P2S will do very well and looking forward to receiving the other three as well.

Yes mine can't do second radius 

I've been told to loosen the base keeper plate it does help a little 

• Like 1

Ooh dear. I’ve only got a mehano train set with 1st radius curves. Ah well, if my W1 will negotiate it then I’m sure I can get the P2 to go round, although expectations will have to be set for speed :)

• Funny 1