Hornby 2021 - P2 new tooling

AY Mod

Hornby have previously commented in the Engine Shed blogs that the shape of the casing around the cylinders has had to be made an ‘idealised’ version since all of the streamlined locos had slightly different shaped casing. So it won’t be 100% accurate for each loco but as good as can be achieved without tooling 6 different casing shapes 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, JhornG201 said:

Hornby have previously commented in the Engine Shed blogs that the shape of the casing around the cylinders has had to be made an ‘idealised’ version since all of the streamlined locos had slightly different shaped casing. So it won’t be 100% accurate for each loco but as good as can be achieved without tooling 6 different casing shapes 

I think that was referring to the bulge around the cylinders (which they've "idealised" by ignoring), not the slope of the footplate above, which going by the last few posts has been de-idealised.    

10 hours ago, Daddyman said:

I think that was referring to the bulge around the cylinders (which they've "idealised" by ignoring), not the slope of the footplate above, which going by the last few posts has been de-idealised.    

I think Hornby was right to idealised the bulge around the cylinders if would ve like a woman in pretty dress & a ugly face.

• RMweb Gold

Just watched a review of 2007, and was rather astonished that Hornby have not wired firebox flicker through the tender / loco connection for those wanting to make it a selectable DCC function. That is, synchronised with the sound of coal shovelling.  If there are 8 connections and only 4 are used for track power and motor connections, then there are spares available.

I reckon the notched wheel will be used for steam synch' as well rather than synch'd via the decoder.

Perhaps this is because the TTS decoder has limited function capability? This doesn't help those wanting to change to a better sound project.

Seems as though extra wiring will be needed, just as the new Hornby 9F which had the same issue (and now added for ESU decoder).

Until I get the sound Price of Wales, I cannot find out how easy extra wiring to the 8 pin connector will be. Unless someone already has looked into this?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

Until I get the sound Price of Wales, I cannot find out how easy extra wiring to the 8 pin connector will be. 

Incredibly difficult considering Sam’s video shows they have a 21 pin connector lol. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Incredibly difficult considering Sam’s video shows they have a 21 pin connector lol. 

I was referring to the 8 pin connector between tender and loco, not the decoder 🙂

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JhornG201 said:

No, the slope down from the running plate starts in the same place on all the 'A4 front end' P2s, from a quick google search.

I can imagine other elements of curving around the cylinders might have been different (as noted above), but this fundamental dimension is, sadly, incorrect.

An no SK to email about it anymore!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 23/08/2023 at 07:12, JhornG201 said:

Six? That would mean that Hornby intends to produce Mons Meg and Wolf of Badenoch and also Cock o’  the North and Earl Marischal after rebuilding with an A4 nose. However, before I get carried away by speculating what form such a CotN might take, I note that we have already been told that WoB will not be produced. I think we just have an example of sloppy thinking on Hornby’s part. I wouldn’t have blamed Hornby for producing a “standard” bulge over the casing; those big cylinders were very much a part of the P2s and contributed to their considerable power, so it’s a pity Hornby didn’t quite capture them.

• Agree 1

I ordered my R30130 'Thane of Fife' from the Hornby Collector's Club on 8.8.23.

Website shows the model as "Available to Pre-order"

Wondered if others are also waiting as it appears some already have the loco?

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Opelsi said:

I have mine already, but it seems the first badge sold out, so they did a second, according to an answer I saw on Instagram. They should arrive in september. But best send an email to Hornby. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Opelsi said:

I'm in the same boat as well. They do seem to be a very popular model!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I interpreted the email I received from Hornby as the shipment was coming in two lots, with the second part arriving soon, and much sooner than if it was actually a second production batch. 
I preordered immediately on announcement and just received mine in Canada.

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got my Prince of Wales a few weeks ago, and have spent some time detailing the model to bring it closer to how 2007 will appear when in operation. The work I’ve done consists of:

• Adding air brake pipes (leftovers from Heljan 26s/27s) and LNER style lamps to the front buffer beam
  • Rear axle removed and swapped round so speedo drive is on the driver’s side. BR style speedo cable added also
  • Handrail added to the inside of the smoke deflector. On the P2s this was only on one side, so replicated the same here
  • Modern warning flashes added based on the positioning of those on Tornado
  • Coal space weathered and real coal added
  • Hornby details pack fitted
  • Fox Transfers etched nameplates and cab side works plates

IMG_6430.jpeg

IMG_6431.jpeg

IMG_6440.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, JhornG201 said:

Got my Prince of Wales a few weeks ago, and have spent some time detailing the model to bring it closer to how 2007 will appear when in operation. The work I’ve done consists of:

• Adding air brake pipes (leftovers from Heljan 26s/27s) and LNER style lamps to the front buffer beam
  • Rear axle removed and swapped round so speedo drive is on the driver’s side. BR style speedo cable added also
  • Handrail added to the inside of the smoke deflector. On the P2s this was only on one side, so replicated the same here
  • Modern warning flashes added based on the positioning of those on Tornado
  • Coal space weathered and real coal added
  • Hornby details pack fitted
  • Fox Transfers etched nameplates and cab side works plates

IMG_6430.jpeg

IMG_6431.jpeg

IMG_6440.jpeg

Looks great! How did you do the deflector handrail?

14 hours ago, AdamOrmorod said:

Looks great! How did you do the deflector handrail?

For the handrail, I used some ‘short’ handrail knobs I had in my spares box, cut the portion of the handrail which you would instead into a drilled hole and filed it flat so you are left with a flat surface to glue against the inside of the deflector.

The very top of the handrail has to kink in ever so slightly to match the shape of the deflector, and careful positioning to get the knobs to line up with the ones on the suite of the deflector, but avoid their projection through to the inside surface. I’ll try and take some close ups if I can get clear enough images

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Fitted DCC sound to Lord President today courtesy of Roads & Rails.  The sugar cube speaker enclosure in the tender is a nice idea by Hornby, but the 21-pin decoder is intended to be placed right on top of the speaker, which means the decoder touches the metal bits of the speaker - not a good idea.

Furthermore unless the decoder is infinitely thin, it’s bulk prevents the tender body from fitting back on.

The solution is to unscrew the decoder plug board, which lets you remove the plastic moulded speaker enclosure - it’s stuck on with double sided tape.  This creates more space for a relocated plug board/decoder and the speaker whilst letting the tender body fit back on.

Other niggles:-

- The supplied screw link coupling hook is too large to fit in to the hole for it at the front of the loco.  Fortunately the screw link couplings that Hornby sells separately fit fine.

- Placing the driver and fireman in their seats is like putting a ship in a bottle.  Got there in the end.

I removed the front pony truck NEM coupling pocket as described earlier in this thread and will be fitting etched nameplates from Fox - the Hornby ones don’t look right to me.

The loco has been tested and works fine in DCC sound mode 😀

It’s a fine looking model and I am pleased with it but Hornby really need to up their game in creating space for easy DCC decoder fitment.

IMG_9849.jpeg.bfbd1b99749502706119b55e3431e468.jpeg

Cheers

Darius

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

space for easy DCC decoder fitment.

There is sufficient space to fit a Hornby TXS with no niggles at all, it took me seconds to fit one in my 2007. I think that will be what Hornby consider as "enough space"..

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, PeterStiles said:

There is sufficient space to fit a Hornby TXS with no niggles at all, it took me seconds to fit one in my 2007. I think that will be what Hornby consider as "enough space"..

Fair enough but presumably that means Hornby are now designing their locos so that only their own Bluetooth DCC decoders will fit and anyone not using their system can go fish.

Hornby do seem to be trying hard to lose goodwill..

Cheers

Darius

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

Other niggles:-

- The supplied screw link coupling hook is too large to fit in to the hole for it at the front of the loco.  Fortunately the screw link couplings that Hornby sells separately fit fine.

- Placing the driver and fireman in their seats is like putting a ship in a bottle.  Got there in the end.

Agreed - great that the detail pack is comprehensive, but a bit of an own goal that the couplings don’t fit. One of the supplies three-links was broken in mine so hopefully that’ll be replaced along with the missing guard irons - I’ve contacted Hornby and they should be posted soon.

I got the intact couplings in eventually with some careful trial and error filing of the ‘stem’.

A removable cab roof, or perhaps detachable cab seats, would make fitting the crew less of a pain. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Fair enough but presumably that means Hornby are now designing their locos so that only their own Bluetooth DCC decoders will fit and anyone not using their system can go fish.

Cheers

Darius

Eh? there's been many complaints on here about the Hornby TXS decoders being too big, so even if they were designing for their own decoders,  which I doubt, there wouldn't be a problem.

Edited by spamcan61
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

Cheers

Darius

Hornby bluetooth decoders are bigger than most others, so there will be no problem fitting any other manufacturer’s products.

Whilst Hornby does seem to have made some good will errors, I do think that there is a current tendency for people to almost seek out reasons to not like what they have done. The ease of sound installation in the P2 is nothing short of superb and worthy of applause in my view

• Like 2
  • Agree 2