Hornby 2021 - P2 new tooling

AY Mod

On 14/08/2023 at 09:56, E100 said:

Is the axle / wheel painting definitely centre?

No, on my 2003 I watched it at slow speed and the white lining is definitely not quite concentric with the wheel itself. On the whole it's a minor problem.

These locos are very good models but not quite excellent.

Glenn

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SteveM666 said:

Yes, it’s printed on ToF - as I said loco specific. At least the print is the same size as the Fox etched plate.

Thanks all, yes, I did used the extra name plates for my Lord President and looking at PoW pictures on the Hornby siter 'he/she' also appears to be only have 'printed' name plates.  

8 hours ago, maico said:

Presumably it can't go round a R4 half circle? 

Wouldn't think so as 4th radius appears to be 572mm whereas the inner radius of a Peco slip is around 24 inches or 610mm for only a very short distance.

Just got my replacement ToF this morning, smokebox seam is much better than the first one.

However, I noticed there's a small hole on the top of the smokebox front, presumably where the whistle on a double chimney example would fit.

20230817_221558.jpg.309bee68981ec35c14f0363bb20c24e9.jpg

Does anyone else's have this?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Trevor Hammond said:

I can confirm that all three of mine run happily on 2nd and 3rd radius  curves.

We are talking about using flanged wheels on the rear Cartazzi truck

Edited by maico
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, AdamOrmorod said:

Just got my replacement ToF this morning, smokebox seam is much better than the first one.

However, I noticed there's a small hole on the top of the smokebox front, presumably where the whistle on a double chimney example would fit.

Yes, my ToF has the same 'feature'

Glenn

• Informative/Useful 1

Some initial impressions having received my P2s. So far, very pleased. Unable to run them beyond the rolling road because the layout is in disarray ahead of moving house.

•    The packaging works. Three models, zero bent/broken details or scuffed paintwork that I can see. The way it ought to be, but credit Hornby post-W1 debacle for recognising their existing packaging was no longer fit for purpose. 

•    Diecast running plate of nos 2002/07 makes an appreciable difference to the sense of quality when the loco is lifted from the box and placed on track. Haven’t gone to the bother of weighing each to see the difference and the all-plastic 2003 is surely plenty over-endowed with haulage capacity for the majority of layouts, but makes for an interesting comparison. 

•    Credit for the running plate join between the differing front ends. Worried me when I first saw the CAD but at anything other than close-up it’s pretty imperceptible. 

IMG_3115.jpg.daa59bffafc243dc91f25cf5599ac52d.jpg

•    Guard irons /have/ been included for 2002/07. Missing from 2003’s detail pack. 

•    The ugly NEM pocket is easy to remove from the pony truck: lever it up with a small flat-bladed screwdriver and it lifts free (easier if the pony truck is unscrewed first). Nice not to have to take the Xurons to a fresh model to snip away the coupling housing when it’s not required. More of this please (Bachmann).

IMG_3111.jpg.1c9853852c2599b700ece3f54110dac8.jpgIMG_3112.jpg.bea3cb9cdb317df3077e611e6429f00d.jpg

•    If any of your LNER Pacifics need a tender scoop, there’s one underneath 2007 that ought not to be there.

•    Wishful thinking? The builder’s plate reads ‘2023’, not that my phone is able to take a sharp shot that close. If Fox / 247 do a set of plates I’ll update that when the real 2007 is completed, adding the extra pipework and warning flashes it’ll doubtless have to carry. Will probably stop short of painting hi-vis waistcoats onto the included crew…

IMG_3114.jpg.8036072a4bcdba1932151bf477ccc3b0.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
On 17/08/2023 at 22:19, AdamOrmorod said:

No hole on mine…

9E67B5BC-22E1-4332-B394-F75077ADBC3E.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

Has anyone else compared the platework on the front of the smokebox of the streamlined version with Prototype photos? The recent closeup photos to show the hole reminded of this matter. The smaller section of platework above the opening 'cods mouth' shouldn't be there. The 'mouth' should actually go higher up. Hornby appear to have copied the platework, although the size is slightly different, from that of an A4.

• Informative/Useful 1

50 minutes ago, Woodcock29 said:

Has anyone else compared the platework on the front of the smokebox of the streamlined version with Prototype photos? The recent closeup photos to show the hole reminded of this matter. The smaller section of platework above the opening 'cods mouth' shouldn't be there. The 'mouth' should actually go higher up. Hornby appear to have copied the platework, although the size is slightly different, from that of an A4.

At first I thought so too, but after looking at a lot of photographs first of A4s (and noting how the small rectangular panel just below the chimney appears and disappears from photos to photo depending on ambient light, film quality and weathering) I think Hornby has actually got this correct on the Bugatti nose P2.

Here’s the best view I’ve found so far. A Hepburn shot of 2003 at Kirkcaldy in 1936 from The Gresley Observer. 

IMG_3116.jpeg.2d7bcb7039846ae88115db072b566fd0.jpeg

In almost all angles in this image compendium the panel is as good as invisible, but it’s also glimpsed here.

IMG_3117.jpeg.cb42da11bc266930ba1ea19a259773a4.jpeg

So perhaps the model makes it more prominent, but for my money, it’s correct. 

Ollie

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

7 hours ago, OliverBytham said:

At first I thought so too, but after looking at a lot of photographs first of A4s (and noting how the small rectangular panel just below the chimney appears and disappears from photos to photo depending on ambient light, film quality and weathering) I think Hornby has actually got this correct on the Bugatti nose P2.

Here’s the best view I’ve found so far. A Hepburn shot of 2003 at Kirkcaldy in 1936 from The Gresley Observer. 

IMG_3116.jpeg.2d7bcb7039846ae88115db072b566fd0.jpeg

In almost all angles in this image compendium the panel is as good as invisible, but it’s also glimpsed here.

IMG_3117.jpeg.cb42da11bc266930ba1ea19a259773a4.jpeg

So perhaps the model makes it more prominent, but for my money, it’s correct. 

Ollie

Sorry. I don't follow your argument.

Hornby have the top of the plate below the lowest part of the chimney.

The prototype photos have it exteding a good way above this point.

Clearer shots needed, but that seems to be the case on the evidence shown.

I agree with Woodcock

Bernard

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Hornby have the top of the plate below the lowest part of the chimney.

The prototype photos have it exteding a good way above this point.

I think you are mixing 2003 and 2005. Here is my 2003. 

Or do you mean something else? 

IMG_20230819_103016.jpg

Edited by Johan DC
Typo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Here is my LNER publicity department photo line up. Four P2 Boilers, very different front ends. I think Hornby have done a great job with the new ones.

The P2 rebuild on the right uses a spare Hornby 2001 firebox cab and running plate, spliced with a Hornby A3 boiler and a Graham King resin front end. Still needs a little bit of work. It was 501 for most of its LNER time but carried 2001 for a while. Tom

IMG_4464.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, AdamOrmorod said:

I think there is if you look very closely

Screenshot_20230818_225956_Chrome.jpg.7e0d6bce776456862bfb08c04bd4f2a2.jpg

No hole in mine.

i’ve got it in front of me.

A dimple, but a hole, no. I could push the dimple smooth from inside if I wanted… then there would be nothing, I could also open it out and make a hole.

Standard manufacturer finish, i’m not going to ding Hornby on this, mine is fine. The other persons however does look like a hole.

Edited by adb968008

Sound fitting to the P2 was a doddle with the 21 pin HM7000 decoder. Couldn’t have gone better, although there isn’t space for the stay alive in the tender 

as a side note, provided you don’t go nuts on the speed, I’ve made mine go round radius 1 curves (it’s all I have for my test track) without any modifications whatsoever. 

IMG_0291.jpeg

IMG_0292.jpeg

IMG_0293.jpeg

Edited by Edge
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I was looking at my pair: 2003 and 2005 and thought there was something not quite correct about the front end.

I think I have it spotted it now, on the Hornby models the curve of the running plate from above the cylinders to the front of the loco is too shallow; or put another way the gradient of this slope is too small, resulting in the casing being too deep for most of its length from cylinders to buffers.

At the front end where the first casing join behind the buffers is, the top of the casing/running plate is about level with the lower door of the 'Cod's mouth', whereas on the real thing (photo of 2006 borrowed below for reference) it is below the level of the hinges on the lower door.

I will restate that this is another minor point and overall the Hornby model is still a fine model of an impressive prototype.

25588141197_551105a298_h.jpg.abef185f7ddcbd6a32a0611e5a0f5d0b.jpg.bc474fcd2f8fea89144d56ebf851cb77.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, mattingleycustom said:

I was looking at my pair: 2003 and 2005 and thought there was something not quite correct about the front end.

I think I have it spotted it now, on the Hornby models the curve of the running plate from above the cylinders to the front of the loco is too shallow; or put another way the gradient of this slope is too small, resulting in the casing being too deep for most of its length from cylinders to buffers.

You're bang on there, that overly tall casing looks dead weird to me!

• Agree 1

On 20/08/2023 at 12:09, mattingleycustom said:

At the front end where the first casing join behind the buffers is, the top of the casing/running plate is about level with the lower door of the 'Cod's mouth', whereas on the real thing (photo of 2006 borrowed below for reference) it is below the level of the hinges on the lower door.

I will restate that this is another minor point and overall the Hornby model is still a fine model of an impressive prototype.

25588141197_551105a298_h.jpg.abef185f7ddcbd6a32a0611e5a0f5d0b.jpg.bc474fcd2f8fea89144d56ebf851cb77.jpg

You appear to be right there.

The 'slope' should start above the valve guides, whereas on the model it appears to start in front of the steam pipes. What a strange error. Hopefully given that this is a separate part, corrections can be made in future batches.

the 'depth' perception will also further not be helped by the reduced lower radius, required (as with the A4 and W1) for pony wheel clearances round second radius track.