Hornby 2021 - P2 new tooling

AY Mod

14 minutes ago, Coldgunner said:

Did it have a reduced flange on any of the middle axles?

No.

So much so, that the flanges almost touch eachother. Just like the real thing. So much in fact that I'm almost certainly the driving wheelbase is slightly over scale to allow for the over-scale flanges, which is an understandable compromise

Just unboxed my 2007 (break in schedule, plus finally plucked up courage to see what Hornby have produced/what faults need if any, require an exchange).

First impressions - WOW

Real presence and power that pictures of the real thing also show.

Detail is excellent, and build quality generally looks very good.

I have a few (negative) comments:

I only noticed this because the black running plate edge stood out against a white table cloth the model was sitting on: There is a slight 'discontinuity' in the line of the running plate edge, where the plastic and metal meets, with the right hand metal running plate protruding fractionally right of the plastic (and left recessed fractionally). Upon looking at the boiler, the right side sits a little proud of the 'smokebox' moulding, while the left is flush, so I suspect that there is an issue with the alignment of the two boiler pieces which filters down to the running plate alignment. Looking at retailer pics (Hattons, Olivias) this is a universal problem, but it is VERY hard to notice.!

The bottom of the back wall of the tender appears to bow inwards - I don't know if this is physical, or not quite straight lining on the bottom of the rear lined panel. Again looking at pictures online, this seems universal. If its the actual tender body it should be possible to pack out from inside. Very strange.

Finally, I have some very slight fuzzy printing to one edge of the front buffer beam, but will live with that given the quality of everything else.

Glad to discover the cab running plate and tender running plate (such as they are) are at the same height, despite what pictures on here were suggesting. Very slight bowing downwards towards the rear, I suspect due to interface between the cast running plate at the plastic cab, and not enough clearance being left. Given this problem was apparent on the EP pictures, its not due to the paint, although it IS something that should have been eliminated at that stage. Unfortunately given the body is glued to the running plate, not easy to correct.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Running in nicely now, really one of the best performing models in recent years for me, plus nothing major wrong to warrant sending back for a replacement (which I cannot say for any other manufacturer in recent months).

Looking at the wonderful LNER livery and build quality, fine lining around the cab, well proportioned and joined parts, and the smooth operation of the close coupling tender cam (albeit without load at the moment), I can't be the only one wishing Hornby had made a new V2 rather than Bachmann....

• Like 3

I spoke too soon! on the FINAL LAP of running in (15m fwd, 15m reverse, repeated with loco facing the other direction), the loco stopped dead. would not move in either direction (I think my controller auto-cut out in trying), and front driver lifting off the track very slightly. The second driving wheel was locked solid, clearly very slightly out of quarter. It only does this in reverse, and only when facing in one direction (i.e. coming off a curve in a particular way). Thankfully no damage to rods.

Really don't want to exchange as its all but perfect in other ways. 

Will email Hornby and see if they will send me a replacement set of driving wheels. I could re-quarter myself (done enough times with Castles and Britannias), but am loathed to do so without a spare wheelset in case it all goes very wrong.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/10/2023 at 15:51, G-BOAF said:

So much so, that the flanges almost touch each other. Just like the real thing. So much in fact that I'm almost certainly the driving wheelbase is slightly over scale to allow for the over-scale flanges, which is an understandable compromise

Had the opportunity to quickly run the 'very nears' over the key dimensions of the P2 coupled wheelbase today.

Tyre diameter 24.25mm, scale for 6' 2/3" : prototype new dimension 6'2", scales to 24.67mm.

Coupled wheelbase 79mm, scale for 19' 9" prototype dimension 19' 6", scales to 78mm.

Axle centres at equal spacing as on the prototype, which means there are spaces a tad under 2.1mm width to fit the pairs of flanges in.

Intelligent compromises, no wonder it looks so well. Will look consistent with the drivers on Bach's Pepp A2 at 24.35mm, and V2 at 24.5mm,  all of which classes had the same 6'2" driver diameter specification with new tyres.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 25/10/2023 at 09:02, G-BOAF said:

I spoke too soon! on the FINAL LAP of running in (15m fwd, 15m reverse, repeated with loco facing the other direction), the loco stopped dead. would not move in either direction (I think my controller auto-cut out in trying), and front driver lifting off the track very slightly. The second driving wheel was locked solid, clearly very slightly out of quarter. It only does this in reverse, and only when facing in one direction (i.e. coming off a curve in a particular way). Thankfully no damage to rods.

Really don't want to exchange as its all but perfect in other ways. 

Will email Hornby and see if they will send me a replacement set of driving wheels. I could re-quarter myself (done enough times with Castles and Britannias), but am loathed to do so without a spare wheelset in case it all goes very wrong.

Full sympathy extended. I would call a fail in 30 mins of running in an early failure - a minimum of an hour in each direction for me. I'd be interested to know how you re quarter the wheels, do you pull them off their splines and if you do how without causing damage?

• 1 month later...

Having now received mine from my Mrs, I have been able to get busy. I had noted other owners finding difficulty installing a 21 pin decoder in the tender, but the speaker location in front of the socket is only attached by sticky tape - gone! (Given how feebly attached it was, I suspect a speaker will rattle it loose in no time.) This may well apply to other of Hornby's current production LNER eight wheel tenders.

On the general construction front, really sensible layout of the screws attaching the bodies to mechanism and chassis; all with unobstructed access. That's progress.

Easily attacked and modified too, now has a wired decoder in the loco, tender weight gone, and will receive a proper drawbar instead of the unnecessary camming unit: Hornby have kindly modelled the apertures in the dragbox faces to guide positioning. Most pleased with it altogether.

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Well now...  a WITH addition smoke deflectors version! @AdamOrmorod @Hilux5972 @OliverBytham

As seen here:

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/lner-p2-class-2-8-2-2002-earl-marischal-steam-generator-and-extra-smoke-deflectors-era-3-r30350ss?

HornbyLNERP22002EarlMarischalwithadditionaldeflectors.jpg.48313e449eddf2d26e3b5118706de660.jpg

On 31/07/2023 at 22:44, palmsticks said:

Well now...

Edited by palmsticks
Add image, add link
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

It has gone again...

On 30/06/2023 at 17:51, palmsticks said:

MISSING LOCOMOTIVE

Have you seen this engine?

image.png.df936cca778085344f7df68297bb5af5.png

The steamy vapour making P2 2007 "Prince of Wales" model R3983SS seems to have disappeared off the Hornby website search facility.  Google can find it, however, it is marked with a rather severe red Unavailble label.

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/lner-p2-class-2-8-2-2007-prince-wales-steam-generator-era-11-r3983ss

Anybody know if this has been cancelled or has it been temporarily lost down the back of the proverbial sofa?

Edited by palmsticks

11 hours ago, palmsticks said:

Well now...  a WITH addition smoke deflectors version! @AdamOrmorod @Hilux5972 @OliverBytham

Kicking myself for not having seen this coming, especially having just filled the space vacated for the smoke generator on my 2005 with weights to sort out its balance.

The extra smoke deflectors will come in very handy with the steam generator!

• Like 1

Is there any likelihood of a non DCC-sound and non-steam generator version of the Earl with big ears appearing or is this the only option we will have to get it? I know Bachmann offer up DCC and non DCC variants of models, but I'm not sure on Hornby's typical approach. 

If this is the only version, it is slightly disappointing as I would have happily pre ordered a DC one. I think I would prefer to wait to see how the steam chuff works in demonstration before taking a punt. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Grasslands said:

Is there any likelihood of a non DCC-sound and non-steam generator version of the Earl with big ears appearing or is this the only option we will have to get it? I know Bachmann offer up DCC and non DCC variants of models, but I'm not sure on Hornby's typical approach. 

If this is the only version, it is slightly disappointing as I would have happily pre ordered a DC one. I think I would prefer to wait to see how the steam chuff works in demonstration before taking a punt. 

Previously, 2007 was offered in both versions.  However, for 2002 with extra ears, the info released so far suggests only the water vaporiser one - which will of course will work on DC. He says. 

>>****** UPDATE ******

Listening to the recording of the Hornby 2024 range chat thingy at 46m34s, I think Carl stated that  " we will be releasing that model with smoke deflectors... a non steam version of it [2002]".  So you'll have to wait and see as the year rolls on!

********************<<

Hornby had a model running at Warley with the vaporiser to demo it working. Best check the exhibision calender and see if they are going to exhibit.  The show at Alexander Palace 16th - 17th March 2024 surely must be a contender.  Best check the website for who is exhibiting closer to the time: https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/information/the-london-festival-of-railway-modelling

Otherwise google and youtube is your friend. He are two I found without trying very hard:

Edited by palmsticks
new info
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Grasslands said:

Hornby seem to be making one version of each model.  I saw the demo of the sound and chuff version at Warley and I have to say it was impressive, especially the proper 6 beats per revolution sound.  At a constant slow pace it gave a convincing impression of a loco working hard. How it will respond to speeds increase or decreases I don’t know.   Steam doesn’t add much to the total cost and the TXS chip will have a value if you decide you don’t like it. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Just listening to the recording of the Hornby 2024 range chat thingy:  Release date for water vaporiser (so called steam generator) P2s:

r3983ss -   2007 - Prince of Wales = ~Feburary 2024

r30350ss - 2002 - Earl Marischal = ~October 2024

• Like 1

20 hours ago, palmsticks said:

Just listening to the recording of the Hornby 2024 range chat thingy:  Release date for water vaporiser (so called steam generator) P2s:

r3983ss -   2007 - Prince of Wales = ~Feburary 2024

r30350ss - 2002 - Earl Marischal = ~October 2024

I  run on DC but really want a double deflector Earl Marischal. Accepting that the  sound effects etc. Wouldn't work but could I replace the chip with a blanking plate to allow me to run it on D.C. or, as I already have the single deflector model could I just swap the tenders when I wish to run the double deflectors mode to achieve the same result please?

Edited by Trevor Hammond

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Trevor Hammond said:

I  run on DC but really want a double deflector Earl Marischal. Accepting that the  sound effects etc. Wouldn't work but could I replace the chip with a blanking plate to allow me to run it on D.C. please?

Yes, Hornby seem to recommend that when operating on a traditional DC analogue layout, removing the HM7000 chip and fitting a blanking plate is the way to do it.  The original HM7000 plan was that you should be able run a HM7000 fitted loco on analogue DC layout with the chip left in.  However, it seems there may be unexpected behaviour at low voltages (as well as the more traditional issue as to how pure the DC is coming out of the controller) . 

See this from the Hornby HM7000 website FAQ under compatability:

https://uk.Hornby.com/hm7000/faqs

"Can I run HM7000 on an analogue layout?

Yes, the HM7000 can be set to 'DC Analogue' mode; however, this is not always recommended and it is better to remove the HM7000 from your locomotive and swap it with a blanking plate for analogue control."

For more info on HM7000 stuff see: https://uk.Hornby.com/community/forum/compatible-and-incompatible-power-sources-and-associated-queries-354127?ccm_paging_p=1&ccm_order_by=&ccm_order_by_direction= and there is probably a lot more knowledge on RMweb: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/176499-Hornby-2023-bluetooth-decoders-and-control-system/#comment-5042363

However....

You might not need to do any of that if this is true:

When I looked at the orginal product listing on RMweb (as I find the Horby website a bit rubbish at finding things), the only cat number for 2002 with additional deflectors was the vaporiser version.  But, on listening to the product annoucement video (link below), it would seem that they plan to do a non vaporiser version, so no HM7000 decoder.  Will have to wait and see if the website catches up with this, as hen I last checked it had not. 

As they said in This Island Earth:  "keep watching the skies"

20 hours ago, palmsticks said:

>>****** UPDATE ******

Listening to the recording of the Hornby 2024 range chat thingy at 46m34s, I think Carl stated that  " we will be releasing that model with smoke deflectors... a non steam version of it [2002]".  So you'll have to wait and see as the year rolls on!

********************<<

9 hours ago, palmsticks said:

Yes, Hornby seem to recommend that when operating on a traditional DC analogue layout, removing the HM7000 chip and fitting a blanking plate is the way to do it.  The original HM7000 plan was that you should be able run a HM7000 fitted loco on analogue DC layout with the chip left in.  However, it seems there may be unexpected behaviour at low voltages (as well as the more traditional issue as to how pure the DC is coming out of the controller) . 

See this from the Hornby HM7000 website FAQ under compatability:

https://uk.Hornby.com/hm7000/faqs

"Can I run HM7000 on an analogue layout?

Yes, the HM7000 can be set to 'DC Analogue' mode; however, this is not always recommended and it is better to remove the HM7000 from your locomotive and swap it with a blanking plate for analogue control."

For more info on HM7000 stuff see: https://uk.Hornby.com/community/forum/compatible-and-incompatible-power-sources-and-associated-queries-354127?ccm_paging_p=1&ccm_order_by=&ccm_order_by_direction= and there is probably a lot more knowledge on RMweb: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/176499-Hornby-2023-bluetooth-decoders-and-control-system/#comment-5042363

However....

You might not need to do any of that if this is true:

When I looked at the orginal product listing on RMweb (as I find the Horby website a bit rubbish at finding things), the only cat number for 2002 with additional deflectors was the vaporiser version.  But, on listening to the product annoucement video (link below), it would seem that they plan to do a non vaporiser version, so no HM7000 decoder.  Will have to wait and see if the website catches up with this, as hen I last checked it had not. 

As they said in This Island Earth:  "keep watching the skies"

Thank you. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...