Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Best layout name puns

My current layout in progress is called The Steamy Pudding because all the locos are going to be diesels!

My next layout is tentatively called On the Slate and Narrow because it is!

Not so much puns - more an attempt at a stupid name for two silly layouts!

Have fun - keep them coming. :mail:

A couple of genuine businesses for you

In Leamington there is a legal firm by the name of Wright Hassal, whilst in teh Kiderminster area an estate agenst is called Doolittle & Dalley.

I alao seem to recall a window boarding up firm in the Birmingham area about 15 years ago called Bodgit & Scarper, at least thats what it said on some wood they had used to cover a broken shop window.

I alao seem to recall a window boarding up firm in the Birmingham area about 15 years ago called Bodgit & Scarper, at least thats what it said on some wood they had used to cover a broken shop window.

You know what, that's amazing :blink: :blink: 'cos I remember passing a van on the M6 around Brum about 15 years ago with Bodgit & Scarper Builders on the side of it, and everyone thought I was making it up!!!

Regards

Neal

............... and Carmarthen doesn't seem to have a Welsh equivalent.

Or, more plausibly, the other way round: Caerfyrddin (Myrddin's Fort - and before you ask, something called 'mutation makes the 'm' an 'f'), Carmarthen is just an Anglicised phonetic spelling.

Adam

These three are absolutely true.

The first is Slutshole Lane, in Attleborough, Norfolk. Honestly! I couldn't believe it when I first saw it, but it truly does exist!

The second is Catshole Lane, in Bideford, Devon. We viewed a house there, but were only going along out of politeness, as we simply couldn't possibly live at such an address.

And finally, yet another from Bideford, Scratchyface Lane, recently the location of flytipping, as featured in the North Devon Journal.

Any of these would make wonderful names for facticious layout names!

Having recently moved from Norfolk, back down to the delightful leafy lanes of North Devon, I've named my latest layout, based on the Withered Arm in the early 1950's..........Dooit Dreckleigh.

As a final postscript, I was chatting about this to some friends & they assured me that there were two pubs which bore the names of:-

The Pistol Knight & The Whippet Inn........................priceless!

Cheers,

Rob (westcountryman)

• RMweb Premium

A pub in Par bore the name of the Which Way Inn for some years. Not too far away is the Who'd Have Thought It, the pub in Milton Coombe just a spit away from the delightfully-named village of Crapstone. Wych Way is a street name in Rowner, between Gosport and Fareham while back in the west country Squeeze Guts Alley is in the centre of Truro. There is a bus route from Manchester to Blackburn (I believe) known as "The Witch Way" as it leads towards the witch's traditional home on Pendle Hill.

Taking the theme of Dooit Dreckleigh (which I rather like) further we could have Emmet Sinther Way which describes how many a Cornishman feels about the annual holiday invasion and would make an otherwise innocent-sounding street name.

As a final postscript, I was chatting about this to some friends & they assured me that there were two pubs which bore the names of:-

The Pistol Knight & The Whippet Inn........................priceless!

Cheers,

Rob (westcountryman)

In Portsmouth (not a million miles from Fratton Station) was the Fawcett Inn* -it may still be there. I think it was Terry Pratchett who pointed out that there used to be a lane in London called Gropec**t Lane; when the C word started to be seen as rude (end of the 18th century?) it was re-named Threadneedle Street!

Simon.

*In Fawcett Road, of course.

These three are absolutely true.

The first is Slutshole Lane, in Attleborough, Norfolk. Honestly! I couldn't believe it when I first saw it, but it truly does exist!

The second is Catshole Lane, in Bideford, Devon. We viewed a house there, but were only going along out of politeness, as we simply couldn't possibly live at such an address.

And finally, yet another from Bideford, Scratchyface Lane, recently the location of flytipping, as featured in the North Devon Journal.

Any of these would make wonderful names for facticious layout names!

You're forgetting Butthole Lane in Shepshed, Leicestershire!

I did for a time run my trains on Middle Engine Lane - a real location just around the corner, but looking for something more Scottish to suit my otherwise totally anonymous shunting layout I came upon DINNAKEN .

It was originally the name of a tank operating on the Western Front in 1917 but seemed absolutely appropriate.

I think it was Terry Pratchett who pointed out that there used to be a lane in London called Gropec**t Lane; when the C word started to be seen as rude (end of the 18th century?) it was re-named Threadneedle Street!

Simon.

I'm not too keen on punny fictional names, particularly when there are so many real ones to choose from, though I can't imagine too many people being bold enough to use this one. On the other hand, "Gropec**t Lane" was, at one time, one of the most common street names in England (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gropec**t_Lane), so if it had survived the general bowdlerisation it would be appropriate for any urban layout. ;)

(Edited for grammar)

An old friend of mine once built an 009 layout named 'Hovering on the Brink' with a signpost in the station yard pointing to the edge of the baseboard proclaiming 'To The Brink'

I often ponder a narrow gauge line based somewhere in the Mendips wandering down a remote valley through sleepy villages rich in watermeadows and ecclesiastical innuendo: starting from its terminus at Abbots End with its fine ruined Cistercian priory, it passes through Monks Bottom and Upper Cassock, pausing at the remote halt of Gaiters Down, where the energetic tourist can alight for a bracing stride over the Down to view the magnificent Bronze Age burial mounds known hereabouts as Nunn's Nockers' (after the eminent Victorian archaeologist Robert Nunn who first excavated them) Passing on through Little Stipend, Canons Fodda and Much Rutting to join the GWR at the busy market town of Slapham Bishop.

Ah for the time and space!

Steve

An old friend of mine once built an 009 layout named 'Hovering on the Brink' with a signpost in the station yard pointing to the edge of the baseboard proclaiming 'To The Brink'

I often ponder a narrow gauge line based somewhere in the Mendips wandering down a remote valley through sleepy villages rich in watermeadows and ecclesiastical innuendo: starting from its terminus at Abbots End with its fine ruined Cistercian priory, it passes through Monks Bottom and Upper Cassock, pausing at the remote halt of Gaiters Down, where the energetic tourist can alight for a bracing stride over the Down to view the magnificent Bronze Age burial mounds known hereabouts as Nunn's Nockers' (after the eminent Victorian archaeologist Robert Nunn who first excavated them) Passing on through Little Stipend, Canons Fodda and Much Rutting to join the GWR at the busy market town of Slapham Bishop.

Ah for the time and space!

Steve

If you build this you must include an 'actress' talking to a Bishop and add a speech bubble 'Slapham Bishop'...(OK where's my coat!)

• RMweb Gold

On the way to the South Devon Railway my better half (innocently) got her tongue in a twist saying the name of the station we were going to,...BuckFastleigh. I am ashamed to say it has taken more than a few seconds to dismiss the thoughts of a quaint little GWR layout named ####bastleigh. :devil: :no2: :angel: .

Many years ago, a layout was featured in RM with a harbour terminus called "Fishoek" - because it was at the end of the line.

I can't remember the layout's name but suspect it was pun based as well.

Jim

Archived