Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Best layout name puns

And whilst on the subject. Knockenshag.

There's Glenguffock at the bottom of the map too - I think I've got the vowels in the right place... :nono:

.....and if you move the map up a 'page' (or scroll down) there's Guffock and Cocker Hills too,

I suppose there's not a lot else to do in Dumfries and Galloway !!!!!

All E.& O. E..

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Wonder if anyone's built a layout and nicked the villiage name from just south of Llandrindod Wells - Cwm Bach. It means Little Valley.

On my unbuilt layout set on the Welsh coast north of Barmouth there is a Cwm Bach, along with Pen-y-Cilan, Abernaf, which is of course the bridge over the river, Afon Naf, and they are on the Traeth Mawr & Twill Ddu railway. The beauty is that they all mean something in Welsh.

I will not repeat the dialogue between Jones the Fare and a passenger who asked for a ticket to Cwm Bach.

On the subject of Company names, I'm not sure that I'd like my house to be on sale through an Estate Agents that I've seen on my travels through the southern counties of England (certainly in Sussex and Hampshire, IIRC) called 'Gascoigne-Pees'.

• RMweb Premium

The name of the 009 layout is Avyn-A-Llyin (pronounced' having a lie in') and is still on the exhibition circuit after 22 years if anybody is interested. It was also featured in the February 1992 Railway Modeller.

Are they always last setting up their layout?

Kevin Martin

Near to where I (sometimes) live, in N.Norfolk, there is a village called 'Sloley'; not far away ,towards Kings Lynn, is Gt.Snoring and Little Snoring. In Cambs. (I think) is 'Six Mile Bottom'. Near to where I formerly lived in Lincoln, is 'Sots Hole' and 'Wasps Nest'. British place names are truly wonderous.

I remember seeing a solicitors - in Kidderminster I think, but I could be wrong - going by the name of "Doolittle & Dally". One would have thought that was detrimental to business.

As for layouts, the Sussex Downs 009 group have a layout called the "Upsan Downs and Everleight Railway". Stations include "Gryndene Halt" (people have been known to ask why it is so called, "because all trains come to one"), and the canal-side "Wharf Cut" - but on the station name board the "W" has fallen off...

I remember seeing a solicitors - in Kidderminster I think, but I could be wrong - going by the name of "Doolittle & Dally". One would have thought that was detrimental to business.

There was a solicitors in Nottingham called Rupert Bear. Apparently he's now retired but his firm and his name live on. If only the other partner had adopted Mint as a surname...

They're Estate Agents - this is the Bridgnorth Office

post-5402-0-87256200-1338670559_thumb.jpg

My O gauge North American layout has sharp curves and fierce grades. I recently bought a nice (but out of my era) BNSF hopper car. (Burlington Northern Santa Fe) - now how can I justify that - easy

BNSF = Busted kNucle (couplers) and Squealing Flanges !!

Brit15

They're Estate Agents - this is the Bridgnorth Office

Well it was some years ago! good to see they are still going. Amazing really, with that name, but I suppose for an estate agent having a "memorable" name on a signboard if an advantage!

Just finished one of the buildings on our club DCC, exhibition layout 'Tawbridge'

It's a lovely period building in local stone, occupied by a certain HUGH JAMPTON seed merchant.

As far as I'm aware, none of the club members have twigged the joke yet!

There will be photos appearing soon on our layout topic...........he he!

Come along to our show & witness Hugh in the flesh!

The laughter never stops at Barnstaple Model Railway Club.

Archived