Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Best layout name puns

I do recall seeing 'Bow Locks' :blink:

Believe it or not, Bow locks actually exists in East London. There's also Trumpington in Cambridgeshire and, in Lincolnshire, there's a place called Folkingham that the locals pronounce Fockingham! Also, I seem to recall seeing a P4 layout called Foxup that was based on a real place.

• RMweb Gold

Our old club US layout was 'Willett Creek' named after the big trestle bridges and had a large paper mill WC Paper. Phil Tration pumps & Filters was on there too.

We also worked out a load of loco names for our narrow gauge loco classes.

The Round Table Class

Sir Cwm Navigate

Sir Loyne Stayke

Sir Spension

Sir Erfe Bord

Sir Taine D'Eath. etc etc

Baron Waisteland

Count de Monet

probably a good thing we didn't continue the idea!

• RMweb Premium

Back on topic...I'm far too innocent to understand the last few posts! blink.gif

Back in the 1980s my father had a German N Gauge layout known as Sein Ernst; which roughly translates as 'Be Serious'. Also in his club at the time was a chap called Peter Cook; which somewhat inevitably led to their 009 layout being called Dudley Moor!

• RMweb Gold

The best ones are always the subtler type where you don't realise at first, Dudley Moor or Whearin Down. Plastering large billboards all over the layout gives the humour a bit if a bad name similar to the often slated sexy figure cameos. I know it's a matter of personal humour but the ruder Norfolk & Good type wear a bit thin over time and risk a layout being avoided for shows if the organisers feel it's a bit too blatant.

Something to consider if you are intending to exhibit that's all ;)

• RMweb Gold

Alas I got caught out a few years back when my daughter ordered a nice set of WR brown & cream type signs for the portable layout then under construction. She took aboard one of the potential names I'd mentioned - so I have a full set of nameboards (patterns, various) for Llamedos.

<I>"so I have a full set of nameboards (patterns, various) for Llamedos."</I>

As The Pratchett says Llamedos - where they have 60 different words for rain !

I have visions of a Standard 8p "Sir Samuel Vimes Duke of Ankh-Morpork"

hauling a Patricians special.

Just thought of another one!

Andy ??????????? who was big in the SNCF Soceity had a lovely French H0 layout called "Auchaux" (or very similar!) - it was in dear old MRC in the late 70's/early 80's maybe more than once. Great layout and in French it is how to pronounce 'H0'!!

Cheers,

John E.

Andy Hart is still the secretary and journal editor of the SNCF Society and his well known exhibition layout was Achaux or to give the station its full name Achaux Rive-Gauche. Achaux was an imagined French provincial town where Chateau-du-Loir is in reality but with changes to the local railway map.

Andy retired his portable layout in 2002 but Achaux lives on as "Achaux-Ville" a larger permanent layout.

There was a full description of both layouts in European Railways 152 from 2003 and Andy's more recent notes about the new Achaux are available on the SNCF Society website http://myweb.tiscali...k/peclegg/sncf/

It's the featured article from the July 2004 Journal in the Archive of Articles section. Apart from Achaux the archive gives a good cross section of the wide range of articles available to SNCF Society members (publicité publicité)

David

As the owner of as layout with a pun for the title it always interests me that so many people have no idea that it is a pun. I wanted a layout name that combined my two hobbies - the other one is music - and I came up with Middlesea (Middle C) long before the design for the layout itself was complete. But I suppose loads of musicians wouldn't know railway jargon would they. I wonder how many reading this will see it.

I also have a load of musical references on the layout, some of which are puns and I keep a sheet by the fiddle yard which viewers can take to look for them. It's amazing how this gets some people interested who might not otherwise be - in particular partners or older children - allowing the enthusiast to spend more time at the layout.

Most of my musical references are not puns but I'm quite proud of my little factory in the goods yard called Barry Toane Sacks. My favourite has to be the solicitors' Office which, spoken in a nice rounded Hampshire accent, is Baxter, Carter and Fewg - Bach's Toccata and Fugue.

A full list is available on request !

• RMweb Premium

As the owner of as layout with a pun for the title it always interests me that so many people have no idea that it is a pun. I wanted a layout name that combined my two hobbies - the other one is music - and I came up with Middlesea (Middle C) long before the design for the layout itself was complete. But I suppose loads of musicians wouldn't know railway jargon would they. I wonder how many reading this will see it.

I also have a load of musical references on the layout, some of which are puns and I keep a sheet by the fiddle yard which viewers can take to look for them. It's amazing how this gets some people interested who might not otherwise be - in particular partners or older children - allowing the enthusiast to spend more time at the layout.

Most of my musical references are not puns but I'm quite proud of my little factory in the goods yard called Barry Toane Sacks. My favourite has to be the solicitors' Office which, spoken in a nice rounded Hampshire accent, is Baxter, Carter and Fewg - Bach's Toccata and Fugue.

This is about the best so far.

Sincerely, Tony Deff

I remember a 7mm narow gauge layout were the operation worked through 3 towns or villages Hardup, stonybroke and skint, my favourits are Peny Forum and East clintwood.

As for funny names thewre is a hall between Ormskirk and Southport called Asmall Hall but i bet its a big un.

cheers.

You don't have the Cobblers, owned by Bert, who never completes orders on time? That'll be Shoe Bert's Unfinished.

Or the garage who convert Nissans to Campervans - Nissan Domabiles

Or the ...

I'll get me coat.

• RMweb Premium

"Eight Ashes" was a Southern Region layout by Geoff Holmes (obviously located somwehere between Sevenoaks and Nine Elms)

Our own club layout "Blackmill" owes it's name to the original project title

"Blackburn's Modern image Layout"

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

A music teacher over here ran the Blood Sweat and Tears Railway, with a number of musical terms. I think he enjoyed when I reached the town of Da Capo and said, "Heck, I've got to start over again."

Archived