Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Best layout name puns

Would that be powered by AC/DC ???

What about DCC???

But, there is a pub in the Morningside area of Edinburgh (which is considered a very upmarket area of the city for those of you are not familiar with the region) called 'The Morning (then in rather very small vertical letters, side) Glory'! How they got that past the Licensing/Planning dept I just don't know...

..... there is a pub in the Morningside area of Edinburgh (which is considered a very upmarket area of the city for those of you are not familiar with the region) called 'The Morning (then in rather very small vertical letters, side) Glory'! How they got that past the Licensing/Planning dept I just don't know...

"Ah'm no sayin' the boozer wis a bit downmarket, but Ah've never seen Buckie in an optic before...."

• RMweb Gold

Very amusing Gents. I see no one has mention Velvet Bottom or Green Bottom. Someone mentioned Whippet Inn apparantly they sell a lot of cider which seems to amuse the ladies. We have a solicitor Mr Careless of Careless and Kemp. Funny how many come from real life our forebears must have had the same humour.

Don

• RMweb Premium

More than a few places by the name of Green Bottom or Greenbottom. One is even alongside the GWR main line between Truro and Chacewater so might make for a useful freelance station site or china clay plank. "Green Bottom Dryers", anyone ???

I have as my "location" on one forum "Around Cringeworthy Bottom" which has managed to elicit precisely zero comment for the years it's been there! If you prefer something from real life then Cowbottom is in the South Downs near Brighton and might make a handy location on the never-built Dyke Low Level line from Patcham Tunnel via the Dyke funicular and through Fulking (careful how you spell that one as well!!!) and Small Dole to Henfield.

Not actually a layout pun, but don't forget the town of Fairlie in Ayrshire, which since it also had a station called Fairlie Pier, had it's main station called Fairlie High. I also remember reading somewhere that the GSWR,was going to build another small station on the Largs side of Fairlie Tunnel when the line first opened but that never materialised, and yes it was going to be called Fairlie Low

Still fondly remembered from the write up of the extensive 'Wardleworth Lines Committee' layout is the destination for the train ferry across the North Sea: Hellendam on the island of Wotulijk.

My teenage effort with it's whole seven feet of straight double track through a station loosely based on Welwyn North, which pleased me greatly at the time was 'Duckfast Magna' (lived near the ECML, rather keen on A4s...); my older cousin suggested Welwyn Handcombe which at the time shot clear over my head.

There is also a Mrs. De'ath in Stevenage, she is the registrar in charge of Births, Deaths and Marriages!

I've dealt with her 4 times now, she registered all of my kids when they were born [ I've found out what's

causing it and put a stop to it! ].

• RMweb Premium

" Far Corfe " :O .

Martyn.

Near Kew :angel:

There used to be a chain of betting shops ("turf accountants" in that curiously English way of not calling them a betting shop) in Sussex under the name of "A Stallion"

In the early/mid 1980's there was a shop in York called 'Knobs & Knockers' (which sold as the name suggested door furniture).

Also to get back to the very original idea of this thread I don't think anyone has mentioned the Rev Peter Denny's garden railway, 'The Trepolen Valley Light Railway' which featured a station called 'Shrubriness', which I always took to be a pun on Shoeburyness (hope I have the spelling correct!) although I may be wrong.

I only remembered this recently as I had to clear out a path in the attic so the CH Boiler could be serviced and discovered my copy of 'Buckingham Great Central' by Peter Denny. Reading it has brought back happy memories!

Don't forgetthe river Piddle in Dorset, the victorians tried to change it to Puddle, so we now have Puddletown, Tolpuddle, Turner's Puddle, Affpuddle and Briant's Puddle but they didn't get round to Piddletrenthide - translates as thirty hides (of land) on the River Piddle.

• RMweb Premium

Piddlehinton is also unchanged. As is Wyre Piddle in Worcestershire. If one wanted a layout pun perhaps the adjacent villages of Wyre Piddle and the fictitious Wyre Knot might serve.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a brewery in Wyre Piddle which brews a range of ales with names like Piddle in the Hole, Piddle in the Snow and Piddle in the Dark. I quite like a nice Piddle in the Hole, as it happens.

When I worked in Telford, I drove past a pub called the Cock Inn every day.

On the Pseudo-Welsh I remember an Aberbinear Bayfore in RM, 009 of the 1970s rabbit warren days...

.....and as for people's names same era there was a Mme Vachemonfoux on a French Layout - can't find my copy of RM where she was featured - and other names on the same layout were in the same vein - something a pubescent boy learning French never forgets

Archived