Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Best layout name puns

For those wishing to model real place names with alternative potential meanings there is Lancing for those with uncomfortable medical conditions and Goring (either of them) for anyone wishing to model a bullfight.

At Three Cocks Junction there is the Three Cocks Inn.

Heres some info on Ramsbottom from wikipedia

The name probably means "ram's valley" from Old English ramm (ram) and botm (valley). However some toponymists interpret it as wild-garlic-valley, with the first element representing the Old English hramsa meaning "wild garlic". A record from 1324 giving the name as Ramesbothum is inconclusive.[6] The town was alternatively recorded as Ramysbothom in 1540

• RMweb Gold

The name probably means "ram's valley" from Old English ramm (ram) and botm (valley). However some toponymists interpret it as wild-garlic-valley, with the first element representing the Old English hramsa meaning "wild garlic". A record from 1324 giving the name as Ramesbothum is inconclusive.[6] The town was alternatively recorded as Ramysbothom in 1540

It's still Tup's Arse though, isn't it?

There used to be (still is?) a 00-9 welsh layout called Avyn Alyin or some silmilar spelling.

Ive always thought Ray Toile Quarries would be a good one but that might require a Sheffield accent dry.gif

Off on a tangent

Having Penistone as part of your address can make some websites very hard work with their naughty word filters!

The name of the 009 layout is Avyn-A-Llyin (pronounced' having a lie in') and is still on the exhibition circuit after 22 years if anybody is interested. It was also featured in the February 1992 Railway modeller. Our (me and my brother) previous layout was called LLandovnodd (land of nod which someone has pointed out is in East Yorkshire). I know there is no V in the Welsh language but everytime we've been in Wales the local forget for some reason. Andy

laugh.gif

3. My brother's history teacher swore blind that, out for a drive in the country one weekend, he was forced to choose between the road to Pissil and the road to Assendon.

It's Pishill

He was quite likely telling the truth, the two are close to each other.

Only just picked up on this thread, so I hope I'm not repeating earlier stuff.

Working here, in Poland, a lot of names seem peculiar, but back in the UK there is a lovely one: Six Mile Bottom, not far from Newmarket. My own layout is set in the Elbw Vale, with the main station of Cwrw Jct. (cwrw is welsh for beer, I understand, so maybe there is a model railway factory nearby - Pwyko?).

Not too keen on them myself. I find that too many on a layout tends to turn me away. I myself stick to more subtle name of businesses. Just been making some signage for the next layout.

Graybridge School

A. Jackson - Music Shop

E. Olthwaite - Garden Supplies

The National Cheese Emporium

Bartlesham - Chemist

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived