Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Best layout name puns

Not a layout name but if you wanted to build a model brewery that's home to Dickens Cider. The tag line could be:

Ladies just love a ........

That's truly awful.

Instead of a brewery though, imagine a 1970s billboard beside a banger-blue era station. Photographed with brown tones and dark background shadows; a leering 'gent' pouring a glass for a woman in a 'Farrah do' in the background; ... and that caption (or equivalently "She loves a ...") in white Helvetica lettering. Tastless? Certainly. Amusing? For some.

Lamb's Rum ad and the Martini and Rossi ad have the vibe.

It's mildly disappointing how many of the people upthread have said "aah, Llamedos, that's a Pratchett reference isn't it" but don't seem to have heard of Sir T's inspirer, D. Thomas of Swansea (or Richard Burton for that matter). Having said that, I'm sure I've seen a Llareggub layout somewhere.

To be honest, the faux-Welsh names grate on my ears somewhat, because they don't actually resemble real Welsh. It would be like calling an English layout "Lower Uioehagcock" or something similarly nonsensical.

Hayley Mills

Hayley Mills exists, well sort of anyway. Currently being stored whilst a decision is made of what to do with it.

As a Club we can't decide whether to call our new N Gauge layout, Bojjery Junction or Slutters Gussett.

Regards

Neal.

To be honest, the faux-Welsh names grate on my ears somewhat, because they don't actually resemble real Welsh. It would be like calling an English layout "Lower Uioehagcock" or something similarly nonsensical.

I notice that, too, and it can grate. There are even a few out there (pointing no fingers) that manage to mis-spell or otherwise mangle 'real' Welsh place-names, and not in a historically authentic anglicised 'Llanelly/Dolgelley' way, either. That said, there are also many who get it right!

I've always liked the idea of a Welsh branchline station called Pontymython, which not only looks Welsh (I imagine it would be somewhere in Brycheiniog) but does actually work in Welsh if you take 'mython' to be an archaism for some geographical feature. Naturally it would have to have a flying circus.

• RMweb Gold

Agreed - not sure it's been mentioned earlier, but "Aberwristwatch" was a particularly bad offender. Not a bad layout, though, just a bad name.

Real place names to conjour with include:

1. The village of Ugley, in north Essex. The Women's Institute there has, apparently, a unique special dispensation to depart from the normal naming formula of "The [place name] Women's Institute" and is, instead, called The Women's Institute (Ugley Branch).

2. Six Mile Bottom, in Cambridgeshire (the Eastern Counties Railway put it on the railway map, too!). So named because it is six miles from Newmarket. Lots of places near Newmarket are callled so-many-miles-this-or-that, for the convenience of the racehorse trainers. If they thought a particular horse needed a twelve mile run, they'd tell the lad to ride it to Six Mile Bottom and back, whereas if it only needed a four mile run ... well, you get the idea!

3. My brother's history teacher swore blind that, out for a drive in the country one weekend, he was forced to choose between the road to Pissil and the road to Assendon.

As for puns, how about the branch line terminus of Ellenbach? (Do they sell single tickets to that one, or can you only get a return?)

Then there's the truly inspirational Nether Giffin

A personal favourite, though, is the name of a cabin cruiser I once spotted on the Great Ouse at Ely. It was called Never Again II. Says it all, really, doesn't it ...

• RMweb Premium

Real place names to conjour with include:

1. The village of Ugley, in north Essex. The Women's Institute there has, apparently, a unique special dispensation to depart from the normal naming formula of "The [place name] Women's Institute" and is, instead, called The Women's Institute (Ugley Branch).

As for puns, how about the branch line terminus of Ellenbach? (Do they sell single tickets to that one, or can you only get a return?)

Then there's the truly inspirational Nether Giffin

A personal favourite, though, is the name of a cabin cruiser I once spotted on the Great Ouse at Ely. It was called Never Again II. Says it all, really, doesn't it ...

Yet the village of Loose near Maidstone has a Women's Institute without any special dispensation, hence the 'Loose Women's Institute'.

Not a pun, but a great name: Wetwang.

Even had a station, on the NER Malton - Driffield line.

Well if we're moving on to real ones, the Czech (or possibly Slovak, can't remember off the top of my head?) town of Wanklova has a station...

I do like the Pontymython idea!

I vowed never to get involved with pun based names and yet I ended up calling my layout Outon Road in a crazy effort to emphasis in yorkshire speak the ease of which it can be stored. Now I have my extension on the go and plans to make it roundy roundy for ease and variation of operation at exhibitions its far from easy to store making the name somewhat ironic!

Cav

I presume that Bradfield Gloucester Square is a pun on Bradford Forster Square. You know, "Dr Foster went to Gloucester in a shower of rain..."

Incidentally, Clecklewyke is the West Riding town JB Priestley invented as the setting for his play "When we were married". I don't think that Bruddersford, from his "Good Companions", works so well.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

I hadn't set out to use puns on my own layout, which has Cornish-style names for all its locations, but when it came to naming a patch of moorland I found it quite easy to apply the name "Pryce Moor" Few of us here would speak or understand Cornish but the words "prys mor" in that language translate as "the cost of the sea". Not a perfect pun but a typically Anglicised Cornish-style name.

It's mildly disappointing how many of the people upthread have said "aah, Llamedos, that's a Pratchett reference isn't it" but don't seem to have heard of Sir T's inspirer, D. Thomas of Swansea (or Richard Burton for that matter). Having said that, I'm sure I've seen a Llareggub layout somewhere.

Dave Rowe used the Dylan Thomas Llareggub station name on his original, seminal, Milk Wood layout.

I've always liked the idea of a Welsh branchline station called Pontymython, which not only looks Welsh (I imagine it would be somewhere in Brycheiniog) but does actually work in Welsh if you take 'mython' to be an archaism for some geographical feature. Naturally it would have to have a flying circus.

I think it would look better with some hyphens in it, thus - 'Pont-y-Mython' although some tell us there is no 'th' in welsh which normally used 'dd' for the sound but that would probably change the sound of the 'y'. You can't win.

• RMweb Premium

In Welsh, Bruce, the y doesn't sound as "wye" or "ee" anyway. It's more like "uh". The soft sound "thee" is as you say given by the letters dd. Not that all of that would stand in the way of a punny name if someone was so determined.

In Welsh, Bruce, the y doesn't sound as "wye" or "ee" anyway. It's more like "uh". The soft sound "thee" is as you say given by the letters dd. Not that all of that would stand in the way of a punny name if someone was so determined.

............... and Carmarthen doesn't seem to have a Welsh equivalent.

Archived