Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Best layout name puns

Just thought of another one!

Andy ??????????? who was big in the SNCF Soceity had a lovely French H0 layout called "Auchaux" (or very similar!) - it was in dear old MRC in the late 70's/early 80's maybe more than once. Great layout and in French it is how to pronounce 'H0'!!

Cheers,

John E.

Slightly away from the original topic of layout names but there was a layout on the Scottish circuit for a

while which featured a pub with the name "Cockwell Inn"

Another has a street scene with an undertakers business called "Auld & Dunne"

Jim

Slightly away from the original topic of layout names but there was a layout on the Scottish circuit for a

while which featured a pub with the name "Cockwell Inn"

Jim

there was pub in Liverpool called that. its been changed now.

also theyres a shop on John Holdens Liverpool lime st layout called "norfolk & Goode" :) (say it fast)

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Also dropped was the loco named after that well known mountain, Ben Doone.

I think it was dropped after representations from a group of mountaineers who regard it as their well-kept secret, and are anxious not to find more folk on their hill. I think their spokesman was called Phil McCavity. He apparently regards himself as Ben Doone's best friend. Ben Doone and Phil McCavity? Yeah, right....

"Norfolk and Goode" is so common as to be almost a cliche shop name on layouts. When I was a member of EDMRC, many years ago, we had that and a solicitors' office called "Sue, Grabbit & Runn".

I spotted this on East Lynn at Railex over the weekend:

post-6802-127542570002_thumb.jpg

You do need to know a little about the layout to get that one, unlike these two from Linfit West (as seen at Manchester a couple of years ago), which require nothing more than a slightly adolescent mind:

post-6802-127542635379_thumb.jpg

post-6802-127542647949_thumb.jpg

Also dropped was the loco named after that well known mountain, Ben Doone.

Not far from Kirk Douglas, a wee Scottish town, aye it's true.

It was haunted by ghosties and goblins, and a slimy green bogey man too.

And just off the coast is the island of Eilean Dòrbhir.

On a more serious note, I recall reading about a layout with the "Rowland Hill Royal Mail Depot".

Cheers

David

• RMweb Premium

I once proposed a layout set in south London with an Egyptian flavour called Tooting Common.

An American layout in the west, on the plains near Council Bluffs: Council Flats.

A N gauge modular group had 2 hexagonal modules. One had a wye on it and was called Wye; the other had 2 wyes overlapped and was called Wye Knot.

• RMweb Gold

When I worked in the Planning Department of Southern Region ("Planning" in this context was scheme development and implementation) the Regional Boundary with the London Midland Region on the Hounslow Loop was at Kew, where there are junctions called Old Kew and New Kew. There was supposed to be, on the LM side of things, a busy and olde worlde junction called Far Kew, with semaphores and so much ironwork it needed two signalboxes - Far Kew 1 and Far Kew 2!

• RMweb Premium

Some Melbourne tram drivers have been disciplined. Kew is a suburb and Kew Depot is one of the terminal points. When dot matrix destinations replaced roller blinds it was - for a short time! - possible to enter a code which would allow the destination "Far Kew" to be displayed. It was seen on one or two occasions including a charter with the predictable consequence for the driver responsible.

For those wishing to model real place names with alternative potential meanings there is Lancing for those with uncomfortable medical conditions and Goring (either of them) for anyone wishing to model a bullfight.

Some Melbourne tram drivers have been disciplined. Kew is a suburb and Kew Depot is one of the terminal points. When dot matrix destinations replaced roller blinds it was - for a short time! - possible to enter a code which would allow the destination "Far Kew" to be displayed. It was seen on one or two occasions including a charter with the predictable consequence for the driver responsible.

Predating dot matrix displays by several decades, on more than one occasion tram tours have been run with a specially made destination blinds showing that. It dates back to at least the 1950s. One of the special destination blinds is in the possession of the Melbourne Tramway Museum.

ppdkewt.jpg

There was a tram tour in September 1969 using one of the Kew trams with which included FAR KEW, RACECURSE, SPERCIAL, MT BUGGERY, VALLEY via ANN ST (off a Brisbane tram), something in Chinese script (off a Hong Kong tram) and HAUPTBAHNHOF on the destination blind.

Cheers

David

• RMweb Premium

For those wishing to model real place names with alternative potential meanings there is Lancing for those with uncomfortable medical conditions and Goring (either of them) for anyone wishing to model a bullfight.

XLNT! How about Fulking (think that's the name) just inland from Lancing? There's also Masham in Yorkshire (I think). Now have to get the Atlas out to bore everyone to death.

;)

When I worked in the Planning Department of Southern Region ("Planning" in this context was scheme development and implementation) the Regional Boundary with the London Midland Region on the Hounslow Loop was at Kew, where there are junctions called Old Kew and New Kew. There was supposed to be, on the LM side of things, a busy and olde worlde junction called Far Kew, with semaphores and so much ironwork it needed two signalboxes - Far Kew 1 and Far Kew 2!

I remember Bernard Manning singing a song, it was..

I want to catch a train for Kew!

:)

XLNT! How about Fulking (think that's the name) just inland from Lancing? There's also Masham in Yorkshire (I think). Now have to get the Atlas out to bore everyone to death.

wink.gif

was'nt Ofeelia Dickie station mistres there ?

realy, Mr B.

Archived