Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Best layout name puns

Off on a tangent

Having Penistone as part of your address can make some websites very hard work with their naughty word filters! laugh.gif

We used to have fun trying to research things for school with the filtered internet browsing coming from Scunthorpe!

• RMweb Premium

I have just started on a Colonel Stevens type layout that I am going to call 'Little Barlamb' after a certain child of my acquaintance. I had contemplated a military depot layout called 'Wealby Avenue' but lack of space has put that on the back burner.

• RMweb Premium

Bill Stickers is innocent, OK!

A slogan which can be incorporated into almost any urban layout of the 1970's and 80's. It was seen graffitied onto many a wall and railway bridge!

I have just started on a Colonel Stevens type layout that I am going to call 'Little Barlamb' after a certain child of my acquaintance. I had contemplated a military depot layout called 'Wealby Avenue' but lack of space has put that on the back burner.

At Mount Pleasant airport (Falklands) the MP's live on Letsby Avenue and you fill your Landrover at Petrel Close. You couldn't make it up.

Kev

• RMweb Gold

A slogan which can be incorporated into almost any urban layout of the 1970's and 80's. It was seen graffitied onto many a wall and railway bridge!

Free George Davis!

We used to have fun trying to research things for school with the filtered internet browsing coming from Scunthorpe!

The Guardian daily e-mail, The Fiver, refers to Scunthorpe Utd as Firewall FC...

• RMweb Premium

A music teacher over here ran the Blood Sweat and Tears Railway, with a number of musical terms. I think he enjoyed when I reached the town of Da Capo and said, "Heck, I've got to start over again."

How about an Italian branch line terminus called "Dal Segno Al Fine"?

• RMweb Premium

Here's a selection.

Felldownhead - Devon

Willey - Shropshire

Tittensor - Staffordshire

Sniggers End - Gloucestershire

Kilmahog - Scotland

The UK is full of amusing or double-entendre place names. While not quite on the OT of puns here's a further selection in no particular order.

Thrashbush, Three Cocks, Devil's Dyke, Fingringhoe, Horsey Windpump, Cocklick End, Pratt's Bottom, Mount Harry, Muffworthy, Knockenshag, Cowbottom Hovel, Asick Bottom, Cocking, Matching Tye, Lower Upnor and Upper Upnor, Old Wives' Lees, Maidenhead, Penistone, Scunthorpe, Clitheroe. Many of those have had railway stations. One nice pun has been overlooked so far. Fairlie in Scotland used to have two stations. Fairlie Pier closed when steamers ceased to call and the current station was renamed plain Fairlie at the same time. It used to be Fairlie High and it still is ..... ;)

There used to be a good listing on the CareerBreak website but it has recently been removed with the rebuild of that site.

That also gave some fascinating World-wide names including: Hell, A**s (I'm surprised the filter rejects the correct word for that opening), Burrumbuttock, Iron Knob, Fannie Bay, Koolyanobbing, Phucket, the Austrian village named F***ing which the profanity filter will definitely reject and many more.

• RMweb Premium

Newfoundland has places (that probably never had railway) like ######, Conception Bay and Placentia Bay. Also Joe Batt's Arm. (One of them fell foul of the censor -- term for an artificial male member.)

I have just returned from holiday in Scotland and there is one place sign I passed everyday and could not stop myself adding "for" to it ... Kinnaird :D

I have been thinking of names for the stations on my layout for 3 years and the best I have come up with so far is Northinere or Northinear and Northayre or Northaire etc.

John Geeeee

Archived