Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Paukmgf said:

VERY DISAPPOINTED

Forums are for reading firstly too, not just diving in without bothering to see if your post is necessary, relevant or useful. You may find it sufficiently disappointing to be rude enough to use shouty block caps but, be assured, that's only as rude as thinking you're more important than other contributors.

• Like 2
  • Agree 10
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, 46444 said:

Manor's Make'th Manor's....

My Accurascale Manor arrived yesterday. Managed to open it up today. My neighbour had taken it in for me. The packaging is the size of an house and the models box looks like something O Gauge will appear from it. 

The model is certainly cosseted in its box. Mine had survived intact although the fireman's side rear tender step was at a jaunty angle. Since fixed in place securely.

Here's Dapol's 7827 on the left facing Accurascale's 7800 on the right.

Manor's Make'th Man...

Helicopter shot taken to show a comparison of each manufacturers take on the smokebox,boiler and firebox.

More Manor's..

Firebox close ups of each model.

More Manor's..

Manor's Make'th Man...

Broadside shots of each.

7827 has received a number of coats of brush applied Kleer as the paint work lacked lustre. The numperplates are the excellent Railtec 3D printed versions for the smoke box, shed code plate and cabsides on the Dapol model.

Manor's Make'th Man...

Accurascale's finish is almost similar to later style Bachmann BR lined green models. There's a lovely richness to the colour as well.

Manor's Make'th Man...

Comparing both models you certainly begin to see the finesse in the Accurascale model in areas such as the valve gear, wheels and chimney.

Both models are good but as was promised I do feel Accurascale have nailed the look and the shape of the prototype nicely.

Nicework from the Accurascale stable. Now what did they say about a 10xx County Class?...

Cheers,

Mark 

If you need to give Torquay a good run out you know where to send it Sir.😎

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

On 10/08/2023 at 15:51, Miss Prism said:

Apologies for being a pain in the wotsit, but the perimeter beading on top of the tender fender (and, apparently *, the cabside cutout beading) should be black for GWR days. Not sure what was followed in BR(W) days (that nice Mr Rathbone @Ian Rathbone might know) - any views and evidence would be welcome.

The preservationists do all sorts of things of course.

* I'm not convinced about the cabside cutout beading 

For a GW period loco the beading that runs between a green area and a black area, ie around the top of a tender or tank side, was black. In BR livery the beading colour was invariably green. The cab cutout beading, between two green areas, was green.

Ian R

• Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

If you need to give Torquay a good run out you know where to send it Sir.😎

My Erlestoke Manor has indeed been working ,Recently I changed its load to attempt replication of the CCE/ PCE or rather the destination portions of both WR ( BR ) in Bachmann Mk 1 chocolate & cream. In total a trailing load of 7 up.Whether this was the case back in the day I have no memory from Shrewsbury or Swansea High Street. She will handle the load sensibly and for me that’s plenty.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

My Erlestoke Manor has indeed been working ,Recently I changed its load to attempt replication of the CCE/ PCE or rather the destination portions of both WR ( BR ) in Bachmann Mk 1 chocolate & cream. In total a trailing load of 7 up.Whether this was the case back in the day I have no memory from Shrewsbury or Swansea High Street. She will handle the load sensibly and for me that’s plenty.

Following up on this,The Pembroke Coast Express in its latter days usually loaded to no more than 4 Mk 1 & could be hauled by a variety of motive power from Swansea to Carmarthen. The last down journey ever from High St. was what appears to be a portion of 3 BR Mk 1 in maroon hauled by a grimy 7811 Dunley Manor without headboard  . From Carmarthen onwards Manors were frequently used. They were also employed between Carmarthen & Aberystwyth . My trusted source being The Red Dragon and Other Old Friends.Paul might remember this book.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, 46444 said:

The packaging is the size of an house and the models box looks like something O Gauge will appear from it. 

Here is the Accurascale box compared to the Dapol one.

As good as Dapol's Manor is, Accurascale's Manor definitely has more finesse to it.

IMG_20230813_194649912~2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

7812 handled 8 Bachman LMS Portholes this afternoon, (and a Dapol Track Cleaner that I was testing, as I'm using DC at the moment). Min Curves at each end of my Train Set is around 30" but mainly 36"+.

I obtained the as new, Blood and Custard Portholes at a recent Auction for £60. They too are super smooth runners.

To say I am totally happy with my product is a real understatement.

So far I have:

added a Crew (not Accurascale), but still a Modelu standing Driver + an aged Merit figure, repainted and representing the Fireman (not shovelling; 

taken out the Coal Load and added proper job Coal and some 'overspill' behind the rear Bulkhead;

teeny bit of weathering (light rust and dust), on the Tender Tank top, around the Dome and Filler,

added a 'stored' Lamp to the left of the Smokebox;

added my own SR Discs as it is booked to run on a SR stopper from Salisbury to Exeter Central, or a diverted WR Train due to flooding on the WR main Line circa 1960.

Phil

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

32 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

Photo by John Cornelious and Jon Wood, both fro mthe Cornwall Railway Society archive - 7820 and 7823 down west...

78xx0-58-g-4_1johncorneliouscrs.jpg.bae2c254ec5aa8281cd96c00fbac33f2.jpg

78XX9686160_orig7823LRJONWOOD160455.jpg.3e8a475ef50c440eaeb8d738162d5657.jpg

The book 'Great Western Steam in Cornwall' also includes a shot of 7814 Fringford Manor piloting a hall through Marazion Station in Summer 1949. According to the caption it was the Up Riviera. Its a front on shot but it has its BR smokebox number and shed plates so I would guess it was plain black? I'll be ordering 7814 for my future Cornish layout

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Harry220 said:

I did see that somebody posted they were delayed until 21/08/2023 but have not received any information directly?

A question for Key but they have the models. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Has anyone got a one of the limited edition Key publishing release yet?

Paid for mine this morning by phone.

they indicated they arrived last friday and should be on their way this week.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1