Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I presume that is the same John Cornelious who I used to visit at Athelney signal box, when I went there for 'official visits' in the early 1980s?

It would have been but John is sadly no longer with us, I attended his funeral back in the autumn of 2018.

His final signalling job before retirement had been at Chard Junction, and his turns matched mine for a time.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

That’s an interesting pair of images for me,as we were on holiday for two weeks in Looeiin August 1959  which of course means that I could travel into North Road via the branch and the mainline  line connection at Liskeard..I made trips on the 11th & 15th but my log shows no Manor at North Road on either day,So I missed them.As a footnote the late Peter W Gray was out with his lens on the Looe branch on the 15th..

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

That’s an interesting pair of images for me,as we were on holiday for two weeks in Looeiin August 1959  which of course means that I could travel into North Road via the branch and the mainline  line connection at Liskeard..I made trips on the 11th & 15th but my log shows no Manor at North Road on either day,So I missed them.As a footnote the late Peter W Gray was out with his lens on the Looe branch on the 15th..

August 1959 we were staying with relatives in St Budeaux - I might even have watched your trains passing from their garden.  And I too didn't see any 'Manors' at North Road (nor I think at Laira) that year.

And yes - referring back to the above John was a Signalman at Athelney at one time although I can't recall seeing him there on my very rare visits to Athelney 'box.  Rare because one of my Asst AMs insisted on doing the pay round that included Athelney and Langport because he liked the bread the baker at Athelney made.  I think John had been at  Curry Rivel at one time as well but I knew mainly from his fairly frequent photographic excursions to the Westbury area where I would almost inevitably come across him drinking tea in one of our 'boxes.    I think I might even have one of his photos from that time lying around somewhere .

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

I have discovered the very delicate 'bits' on this lovely Loco/Tender.

My fault, not bits falling off. Fireman side Tender 'andle (Scoop?). Knocked whilst attempting to insert Driver; it broke. Faff to mend but not really visible thank goodness.

Anyway, tender look so much better with coal load removed; as someone has said I believe, beware the Fire Iron 'Tunnel/Trough' when removing the Load. It will break away at the rear end.

Smokebox Door, top Lamp Bracket; went to stick a Disc on it and it was quite wobbly and loose.

Disc shout the ped's; Yup, a damn BRSR Disc. There's one on the Buffer/front Centre Footplate Bracket as well.  

Phil

Wouldn't SR headcode discs face sideways if attached to WR lamp brackets, Phil?

John

• Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

one of my Asst AMs insisted on doing the pay round that included Athelney and Langport because he liked the bread the baker at Athelney made.

Oh yes, I remember Mr W...

He took me on one of his runs when I was learning the area. It wasn't just the baker he visited. There was cheese from Langport, eggs from somewhere else  etc. etc.

It's a wonder there was any time left for giving the signalman their wages...!

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Wouldn't SR headcode discs face sideways if attached to WR lamp brackets, Phil?

John

Absolutely... but I used Tacky Wax, as did the Staff at (enter whichever place it was borrowed); I read that on Face Book so it's true.

I obviously need to check if the WR Engines on Diversion had Lamps due to thus situation. It's almost certain they did. Did you ever happen to see any?

Thanks John.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Absolutely... but I used Tacky Wax, as did the Staff at (enter whichever place it was borrowed); I read that on Face Book so it's true.

I obviously need to check if the WR Engines on Diversion had Lamps due to thus situation. It's almost certain they did. Did you ever happen to see any?

Thanks John.

Not many, I think SR locos and crews from Yeovil and EXJ usually took over diverted trains if available. NOTE. I am referring to ad hoc diversions of one or two trains rather than the big flood-related incident mentioned by Mr. Duck.

Many WR locos (e.g. Castles) were barred anyway, either by axle loading or width. 

I also doubt that more than a few WR crews would have maintained route knowledge over the line. Exeter men only, I'd think, and not many of them.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
Clarification
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 14/08/2023 at 16:22, Ian Hargrave said:

Oh yes,the Mod.Hall that needs another “mod”…without which it ain’t proper. I know it was returned to the factory after the first design error but they didn’t ultimately get it right.If you look at photograph of the head on “face” of a Modified Hall you will see exactly what I’m banging on about.  Needs a couple of bits to fix it. I personally prefer the matt finish smoke box on the Manor.It gives the model an aura of verismo.

What is this issue you see? 

The recent batch of mod Halls have been modified again. It doesn’t have the issue curved footplate issue under the smokebox, like the brassmasters kit fixed. 

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Ribird said:

What is this issue you see? 

The recent batch of mod Halls have been modified again. It doesn’t have the issue curved footplate issue under the smokebox, like the brassmasters kit fixed. 

That isn’t it .The issue I mean  is the complete absence of the frame visible between the front bogies. That told you when your train was approaching that it was a 6959 series Modified Hall . Yes the Brassmasters kit fixed it. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

That isn’t it .The issue I mean  is the complete absence of the frame visible between the front bogies. That told you when your train was approaching that it was a 6959 series Modified Hall . Yes the Brassmasters kit fixed it. 

It's very sad that didn't actually realise that in my youff! Realised it when on here years ago!

I think people solved that with a strip of plasticard on the earlier Halls. I must check my batch! Derrr.

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Another one from the Warwickshire Railways archive - 7818 at Hatton on 19th July 1956...

gwrhj10478XX7818190756.jpg.fccbf6824a2e3ed460c8fd001dfd0328.jpg

I was sat in Hatton Loop for half an hour this morning - not a Manor to be seen! Talk about disappointment... 😁

Nicely shown Weather Sheet there under the Cab Roof.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

It's very sad that didn't actually realise that in my youff! Realised it when on here years ago!

I think people solved that with a strip of plasticard on the earlier Halls. I must check my batch! Derrr.

Phil

There is of course a snag .That being the front coupling in the way and having to be removed.So it wouldn’t be acceptable to many,I suspect.To me the absence of the plate like front of the frame detracts from the accurate appearance of the front end.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, JST said:

It has begun.... someone has a sound fitted Erlestoke Manor on Ebay for 360 quid!

Just a chancer, a number of retailers still have stock available to preorder as well as AS having leftover stock to shift too.

In other news… my Bradley Manor is out for delivery! Photos to follow this evening.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, bob1234 said:

Is the sound and motion correctly synchronised? A couple of vids I've seen didn't seem in sync. I've not received my model yet to confirm.

Pretty much spot on from observation of my example. Its a really good sound project though like others up thread I’ve yet to hear a brake squeal.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I’m running mine on DC (Guagemaster) and the synchronisation is very good there is a satisfying brake release squeal just before the injectors hiss and the chuff starts. The inertia is impressive but so far I haven’t been able to trigger the braking sounds. Overall it’s so good I might not bother to move to DCC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

I’m running mine on DC (Guagemaster) and the synchronisation is very good there is a satisfying brake release squeal just before the injectors hiss and the chuff starts. The inertia is impressive but so far I haven’t been able to trigger the braking sounds. Overall it’s so good I might not bother to move to DCC.

That’s a very valuable post for me,thanks. Somewhere down the line I’ve got a sound 7820 paid up coming to use just dc  only and also Gaugemaster.Most reassuring to know.