Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

I am certainly no expert and cannot claim to know the details of any locos, let alone the manor class, but let's not say that it is a case of 'people will complain about anything'.

The handrails on mine finish around 1mm below the roof. The error seems pretty obvious to me, especially in the light of other discussions about accuracy. It just seems such as obvious thing to get wrong.

• Agree 2

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, noss said:

The handrails on mine finish around 1mm below the roof. 

Show us a photo of the model on your layout from normal viewing distance and a normal angle to assess how much of an issue it is in practical terms.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Round of applause 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, HExpressD said:

it's certainly a valid point to make, as it the fact that on a layout it makes no difference at all!

I referenced it in the first look video so I know it is a point. I have asked the question so that the impact can be assessed better. For example a dangly capacitor may not be an issue until you turn the lights on; it's all about impact.

4 hours ago, noss said:

It , <handrail gap>does seem to be all of them. That’s a shame. Given the perfection of everything else, I am surprised  it wasn’t addressed. On the actual engines there is a larger diameter bracket that the handrail goes into when it meets the roof...

The observation I would make is that as the refinement in fidelity of models improves, so any slight deviation, error, clumsiness in technique, becomes more apparent; when compared to a model of overall lower standard.

My leading example would be the clumsy loco to tender connector on the exceedingly good NRM/Rapido Stirling single, which otherwise is pretty close to miraculous for RTR OO in all of looking well, with a competent fully concealed drive train, which has effective traction and 'glides' serenely above the rails when in motion.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Show us a photo of the model on your layout from normal viewing distance and a normal angle to assess how much of an issue it is in practical terms.

I don't have a layout at this address, but it is similar to the other photos shown. After a while it will just become a foible of this particular model. It's probably not an issue at all, unless the handrails are easily damaged.

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Northmoor MPD said:

People will literally complain about anything…

I’m sorry but a tiny gap like that does not take away from what is an outstanding model in my opinion.

It's not a complaint. It's an observation, and a little discussion on how 'modellers' might make a small adjustment takes nothing away from the outstanding model. As @BroadLeaves points out, the only possible issue is catching the end of the wire accidentally when handling the loco. I would not expect anything to be done by Accurascale for these models, but I am sure it will have a modification for run 2.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Northmoor MPD said:

People will literally complain about anything…

I’m sorry but a tiny gap like that does not take away from what is an outstanding model in my opinion.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when @noss realises the wheels are too close together 😀

• Funny 8

32 minutes ago, NBL said:

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when @noss realises the wheels are too close together 😀

You credit me with possessing far more knowledge about the prototype than I have. I would never notice such things. 😀

Edited by noss

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Harlequin said:

I think they are glued at the bottom and the middle and so they could be fixed at different positions by accident if the person assembling was not careful. Maybe if they were working very fast the rails might have slipped after gluing?

In my case, the gaps are small enough that I reckon a small drop of some kind of low-viscosity glue would capillary in there and hold the top in place.

Thank goodness for some sanity in this otherwise turgid morass that this RMweb Accurascale Manor thread has become.

First there was the entitled impatient ones who wanted their AS Manor  first.

Now “gap gate” with convoluted solutions for a minor issue that can only be spotted from <18” 🙄

Who would want to be a model railway manufacturer?

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, 50025 said:

Just waiting for my GWR 7801 to arrive. Can somebody please advise on appropriate coaches to match, for Cambrian duties? ☺️ 

The first Manors venturing onto Cambrian lines were via Ruabon to Barmouth. Clearance tests took place on 31 October 1938. The Carmarthen to Aberystwyth route was upgraded to ‘Blue’ on 2 May 1939. The Oswestry to Aberystwyth route was ‘Yellow’ but became ‘Blue’ with siding restrictions in 1941. Oswestry’s first Manor allocation was in 1943. It appears during GWR days they did not run on the coast line except between Barmouth Junction and Barmouth. (Source Peto’s Register of GWR Locomotives Volume 2 Manor 4-6-0)

For coaching stock before 1940 it would have been a mix of GWR clerestories, GWR Bachmann Colletts , GWR Hornby Colletts, ex Cam Rys 45ft and 54’ 6” coaches as well as LMS through coaches including ex LNWR.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 4

36 minutes ago, noss said:

You credit me with possessing far more knowledge about the prototype than I have.

It's a reference to the fact that the wheels are only 16.5mm apart, rather than the correct 18.83mm. I'm sure @Captain Kernow 's has already been regauged, however.

Despite opening the front door at least four times this morning and looking at the doormat in vain each time, mine has still not arrived, but the gap (I do like @rprodgers "gapgate" term ) would appear to be variable from "I can't see it" to "I can park a bus in there". How acceptable it is will undoubtedly be down to individual preferences. There are posts in this forum along the lines of "it's a flawless model" and then the accompanying photo has noticeable glue marks, so for those who enjoy weathering, repainting and otherwise customising their models, I can see it not being a problem at all. For those who are looking for that perfect "shelf queen", maybe it will be.

Accurascale have repeatedly said "it's got to be right" and have delayed the product several times on that basis, so like others, I'm surprised this slipped through. I'm sure the good folk in Windsor Avenue are all very busy ( hopefully designing a Pannier ) but it would be interesting to get an official view, from the horse's mouth as it were.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

The simple fix for gap gate will be, turn the loco upside down and support it in some sort of cradle. Using paint of the appropriate or very close colour, and a double cream consistency, touch a 000 or similar sized brush between the end of the handrail and cab roof simultaneously, and the capillary action of the paint will fill the gap.

Obvs this is not an Accurascale approved, authorised or recommended solution, but it will fix the issue.

For the full Internet bingo card, can someone please quote this post and mention they’ve waited X years, paid twelfty bazillion pounds for their models and they really shouldn’t have to do this etc etc.

Edited by PMP
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

let's face it, peoples layouts vary from a Hornby trainset out of the box to some amazing stuff, many of which we use as inspiration on this forum.

The wide range of people buying the same model are going to have totally different standards but that isn't always reflected to give any context when people are commenting.

I like to see flaws highlighted personally so I can go about correcting them. I can make up my own mind how critical such things are without the benefit of the seemingly inevitable hysteria, but I tend to think that's just social media for you.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

The latest model railway news:

Known on social media as "gluegate", it transpires that premium model railway manufacturer Accurascale has been fitting wire handrails to its models and not glueing them in properly.

We approached people for comment:

A. York: I now have nothing to complain about this evening.

R.I. Vetcounter: This is an expensive model. Accurascale should be providing tweezers in the box. It's simply not acceptable that I have to use my own tools to fix this problem.

A.N. Orak: I don't think that Accurascale have correctly modelled the weight of the handrails, which is why they are falling down too far. I've consulted my many reference books and the density of the wire is simply not prototypical. I shall be returning my model for a full refund. Why can't the manufacturers get these things right?

B.R. Oadleaves.  Thanks. That's really useful to know.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

That's two 7808 in Didcot now. The Accurascale version has just arrived via Derails. I couldn't believe the size of the packaging and it becomes apparent when you open it. The box alone is enormous compared to other manufacturers. Plus a booklet on the Manor class that is very well done.

The model is absolutely stunning. Everything in the right place. The weight is unbelievable. I've only given it a quick run on the rolling road, but it's smooth. I will find a length of track to try it on tomorrow. 

I've got the sound chip on order from Accurascale as well. The bar has well and truly be raised. Well done Accurascale. 👏 

• Like 4

I was going to wait until the second batch identities were revealed to see if the particular livery/number combination I want would be in there before taking the plunge. But I got impatient and ordered Torquay Manor to rename/number as it has the correct livery and tender (as far as I can make out) for 7821 circa 1959. I must say I’m incredibly impressed. Especially by the weight of the thing. My only question is how on Earth do you get the cylinder fronts off to swap for the ones in the detail pack? Has anyone else managed it? They feel as though they are glued in.

• Like 2