Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

58 minutes ago, craigowen1976 said:

Renaming Accurascale Manor

Hiya folks, seeking advice / pointers on renaming the beautiful #Accurascale #Manors*, with etched plates that don’t fit the splasher! I’m attempting to recast ‘Antony’ as 7803 ‘Barcote Manor:

IMG_8015.jpeg.2ea1bee7f7037c00da01e8adc268965f.jpegAs you can see, the ‘flitch’ on the nameplates does not match the curve of the splasher - so i had to:

1. overlap it (to stay at sensible height),

2. or sit above it (halfway up the boiler with big gap at bottom LH / RH).

3, I’m aware a 3rd option would be to grind and file the plate to correct curvature - but having irreparably buckled 2 plates in attempt, realise this is beyond my skill set!

So I opted for 1, the overlap: looks ok from a distance but ‘bodge job’ close up:

IMG_8013.jpeg.9b15dafccfd00603b14768079b0a7040.jpeg

Interestingly, the same (247) plates seem to fit fine on the #Dapol Manor - which has renamed from ‘Compton’ to 7809 “Childrey” (buffer beam yet to transition!) 
IMG_8367.jpeg.4c534fc8d83885d43aeb4e5170dcddf9.jpeg

These particular plates are from 247, attached by gently tweezering out the splasher (very helpful of #Accurascale to do this as a seperate part).

IMG_8009.jpeg.5e7dd6dec5bb9a941326eb792c07deda.jpeg

I used my usual method of Matt varnish initially to affix - but after popping off 12 hours later, found 3 dabs of Brunswick green paint on back ended up being far more adherent. 

As with others, I’m otherwise incredibly impressed with #Accurascale #Manor (though still awaiting 3 out of 4 pre-orders) - to the extent I’d nominate as best RTR model ever produced! (possibly bumping even Rapido’s Stirling Single 🍑). The dulled smokebox, fine coupling rods and spot on ‘face’ (particular door dart / number plate font colour & size, which I often find a let down!!) really stand this model out. And it’s pulling power us insane - video to come shortly on #WyeValleyGardenRail on YouTube / Facebook :-) 

Now, if I can persuade Accurascale to produce a stablemate “#GWRBulldog”, I’ll invest a liver / legacy pledge / small part of house to see a Bulldog to their Manor standards! 

my Question to RM Webbers
I’m aware Manor Nameplates are also available from Fox, CJW and Jackson Evans, possibly others.
- Are any of these makes a better fit for the splasher curve on the Accurascale Manor?
- Have other RMWebbers had better success with achieving a more professional fit and finish? (Always good to get a heads up on avoiding glue marks / oozing etc too!)

many thanks, Craig 

I had been  happily day dreaming of an Accurascale Saint this morning  . A straight framed Lady of Legend one side ,  t’other renamed to Lady of Lynn ( my wife ). Bliss ! With a curved frame Saint David to follow .

But the prospect of an Accurascale Bulldog ! In reality Bachman should do one - less work with just a new boiler and cab on the existing Dukedog chassis  .

Currently lying down in a dark room in a paroxysmal state of anticipation .

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, 1466 said:

But the prospect of an Accurascale Bulldog ! In reality Bachman should do one - less work with just a new boiler and cab on the existing Dukedog chassis  .

Currently lying down in a dark room in a paroxysmal state of anticipation .

Yep. Bachmann missing a trick here. Earl clearly designed for an alternative boiler and cab.

Mike Wiltshire

bulldogbachyLR(2).jpg.db79fc517a3afce5bc36cbb125c53f8c.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

1 hour ago, craigowen1976 said:

Renaming Accurascale Manor

3, I’m aware a 3rd option would be to grind and file the plate to correct curvature - but having irreparably buckled 2 plates in attempt, realise this is beyond my skill set!

Hello Craig

I use a sharp craft knife to score beneath the nameplate.  This is far easier and more controlled than filing.  I use one of those 'Snap Off Knife's' as made by Stanley.  Don't be afraid to snap off the blade and use two or three new 'blades' per cut.

There is a view of Kolhapur with 247 plates where I wanted to keep the lined Bachmann mounting plate.

40619166122_16a5906087_o.jpg

Good Luck   Ray

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Back to the handrail "thing"

My first Manor 7801 does not have a gap, 7808 received yesterday also does not have one.

However 7808 did have on one side, a slightly bent one, so that it was clear of the cab roof completely.

I little bit of "persuasion" and it is now straight and correctly under the cab.

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

3 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Need more data. What's the helix radius, weight and free rolling capability of the stock?

And if typical of current RTR OO productions, it will do best if it has its hour of test running on track rather than a rolling road, which solely provides limited 'exercise' to the drive train. (There are more carrying wheels than drive wheels, and all wheels have to be free to roll and be displaced side to side for curves.)

Based on the similar size and mass Hornby B12/3 4-6-0 which has circa 300g/10oz acting on the coupled wheels, I would guess at 5 BR mk1 or similar, if a reliable restart in the ascending direction from a halt with the whole train on the helix is required.

The helix has a 30” radius and the coaches are standard Hornby recent production. I plan to give the axles a shot of graphite at their ends to decrease friction and make them a bit more free rolling. Right now I have the tender apart giving the guts a look over. I also found that the coal load was glued in place but a #11 Xacto blade slid in along each side broke the glue bond. I think I will just add some real coal and pop it back in place. Originally Accurascale planned to use magnets to hold the load in place so I was a bit puzzled when it didn’t come right out. I’ll have a review up in the next week on my YouTube channel showing the guts and also the runs up the helix—Larry

• Like 4

• Moderators
2 hours ago, melmerby said:

Back to the handrail "thing"

My first Manor 7801 does not have a gap, 7808 received yesterday also does not have one.

However 7808 did have on one side, a slightly bent one, so that it was clear of the cab roof completely.

I little bit of "persuasion" and it is now straight and correctly under the cab.

Phew, that was close. Just about avoided a full meltdown and demands for a parliamentary inquiry. Well done.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Cofga said:

Have any of you with the DCC sound decoder version looked inside the tender? If so how many speakers do you have—1 or 2?

There is one in the tender, one in the smoke box - you can see where in the included exploded diagram. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Echoing G-BOAF some time ago - Fran - please can we please have the plastic sleeves back. They are excellent protection for the box. With all previous locos, it's just been an example of one of those extra attention to detail items for which Accurascale is well renowned. My first Manor (not sourced directly I must admit as the ones I wanted were already out of stock when I ordered) arrived today, and the first thing I did was clean the finger prints and other detritis from the box !  Also, the literature in the box was not in its own plastic sleeve. Now I know I'm nit picking - but it's the attention to those little details, and when they're suddenly not there it's very noticeable.

Like many I'm sure, the only reason I've bought these is because of the excellence of your other products.

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Phew, that was close. Just about avoided a full meltdown and demands for a parliamentary inquiry. Well done.

Sarcasm aside - I’m sure if this was a Hornby (or anyone else) thread, the masses would be stating that it’s easily corrected but the customer shouldn’t have to. Whilst this manufacturer, good as it is, is new to steam loco models, one would hope they’ve learned from this design/construction error for their next steam outline models. I haven’t read the rules, but surely Parliamentary enquiries are reserved for the KR thread or the likes of Titgate 😄

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, MidlandRed said:

surely Parliamentary enquiries are reserved for the KR thread or the likes of Titgate 

Probably so but demands for one come from any hysterical deprivation.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, tlm said:

Echoing G-BOAF some time ago - Fran - please can we please have the plastic sleeves back. They are excellent protection for the box. With all previous locos

Yes, this is a new factory, and they simply missed them on the first batch. We do plan getting extras so anyone missing them, can drop us a line next week/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Round of applause 1

58 minutes ago, McC said:

There is one in the tender, one in the smoke box - you can see where in the included exploded diagram. 

Yes, but your website still says:

”DCC Sound locomotives have speaker mounted in smokebox and dual speakers in tender”

When did that get changed?

Edited by Cofga
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Being happy to wait patiently for my copy of Anthony Manor to be shipped from Dublin, I am pleased to have had Accurascale's email confirming its shipping, so can now await its arrival with increased anticipation.

Hopefully, @Neal Ball has had a similar email.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, longchap said:

Being happy to wait patiently for my copy of Anthony Manor to be shipped from Dublin, I am pleased to have had Accurascale's email confirming its shipping, so can now await its arrival with increased anticipation.

Hopefully, @Neal Ball has had a similar email.

I don't know if Neal has had an email but I live just a bit further down France than you and my Erlestoke Manor now has shipping details from Dublin. 😁

• Like 4

Well,I got mine broken in last night and crawled it around the yard at Teignbury for a while and I am impressed! This is easily the smoothest operating steam loco I now have! It can creep along at a snail pace and the stay alive means absolutely no fluctuations in speed as it rolls along over points and frogs giving the appearance of inertia created by the considerable mass of a real loco. I can’t help but believe that the flywheel aids in that illusion. Today I’ll give it the pull test on my helix. The sound by the way is outstanding and two speakers is more than enough. Only one thing missing, where is the water fill sound effect—I am now running with an empty tender!

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

OK - I'm going to break my own rule re 'Are we nearly there yet', as I am getting a little concerned.

I have 7810 'Draycott Manor' DCC Ready on order and paid-for, directly from Accurascale.

Simple question; has anyone received one of these yet?

CJI.

22 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

OK - I'm going to break my own rule re 'Are we nearly there yet', as I am getting a little concerned.

I have 7810 'Draycott Manor' DCC Ready on order and paid-for, directly from Accurascale.

CJI.

Me too - not sure they're even in the country yet.....

Phil

Accurascale stated earlier 7810 was going into the second shipment --My supplier has indicated that this shipment will be with AS late next week. I would guess that I will receive my manor the week after.

Hope this offers reassurance .

regards 

Ed P

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, ed 66 plant said:

Accurascale stated earlier 7810 was going into the second shipment --My supplier has indicated that this shipment will be with AS late next week. I would guess that I will receive my manor the week after.

Hope this offers reassurance .

regards 

Ed P

Thanks for that - most reassuring.

I don't mind waiting - just so long as it arrives eventually!

John Isherwood.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cctransuk said:

CJI.

I'm awaiting a 7812, 7810 and 7820 direct. So you can rest assured I think that the black ones and 7810 are in the set expected at accurascale towers next week. So hopefully they'll start arriving with customers from the week commencing 4th. I'm certainly not expecting them before the middle of that week anyway.

Edited by Karl

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, TimberValleyRailway said:

Anyone else's Torquay bad at crawling under Analogue? (running with Gaugemaster combi)

Mine doesn't like it and just cuts in quite fast. Might be better under DCC but havent fitted it yet!

Cheers

Are you running a DCC model on DC?

• RMweb Gold

My DCC sound fitted Anthony Manor crawls really slowly under DC  (Gaugemaster):  it sounds as if  the decoder is using  pulse waves. Acceleration is slow with impressive inertia and the sounds are well synchronised with the wheel revolutions.