Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

Thanks for the response guys. One thing I’m sure of… I am definitely not about to cut a hole in my tender! Will stick with what I have. I really like the sound file so I don’t want to change anything there. Although putting real coal in really does set it apart, might see what I can do there. If I remove the coal does it damage anything or can I easily slip it in and out?

@McC that’s a good video, mine will run no problem on speed step 1 as well. Performance is great.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, chrisjwarnes said:

Thanks for the response guys. One thing I’m sure of… I am definitely not about to cut a hole in my tender! Will stick with what I have. I really like the sound file so I don’t want to change anything there. Although putting real coal in really does set it apart, might see what I can do there. If I remove the coal does it damage anything or can I easily slip it in and out?

@McC that’s a good video, mine will run no problem on speed step 1 as well. Performance is great.

The coal was originally supposed to be in the accessory bag, and not fitted at all to the tender so you can pop it out easily enough

Edited by McC
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/08/2023 at 11:33, No Decorum said:

Yes. Craft knife at the back of the load. With the bond broken, ease it up to break the bond on the shovelling plate. Be very careful with the fire iron rack – the coal load goes under it. It’s a shame really – I don’t know if I’ll be able to shift the remains of the glue; if I can’t, it’ll have to be a full tender. The glue could have been put to better use under the chimney.

• Like 1

On 08/09/2023 at 20:48, Haverail said:

When I ran mine, on DCC, on the rolling road and short test track it would crawl along very slowly, better than many other locos. Would DCC make a difference?

I recalled this from Accurascale's  announcement (still available in the first post):

"High-quality 3-pole motor with flywheel, low starting voltage".

Efficient motors that start on a breath of current have been appearing in RTR OO for twenty years now, with owners various reporting over the years since that they 'shoot off' from a stand on many DC controllers.

DCC does make a difference. The capability to set a starting voltage specific to the motor and mechanism, and a choice of simulated inertia, yields the best possible smooth creep in and out of motion, at the limit of what the mechanism can deliver. It is a superior control method that offers customisation.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

On 08/09/2023 at 12:21, Danemouth said:

Thanks for the info - ordered Earlstoke Manor with sound last night

I have been prevaricating about buying a manor for months and thought I had missed out 😁

I look foward to seeing it hauling my new Siphon!

Dave

Ordered last Thursday evening and deliverd before 9 am today (Monday) and superbly packed.

That's really good service 😁

Now running in on the rolling road.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Torquay Manor ordered last Thursday, arrived today.  Beautiful model,  well packaged, runs very well.  I think the sound project is excellent, could do with a bigger speaker in the tender, but that is a minor issue.  Thanks Accurascale.  Looking forward to my Class 37.    

• Like 1

Reference the manor running on speed step 2 video by McC --is that the factory fitted arrangement--if so sounds very good . I ask because the following inputs talk about a bigger speaker replacement.

Also the only video I have seen/listened to that identifies the characteristic air pump "slap" when coasting is the Hornby mag/Key publishing video??

Edited by ed 66 plant

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, ed 66 plant said:

Reference the manor running on speed step 2 video by McC --is that the factory fitted arrangement--if so sounds very good . I ask because the following inputs talk about a bigger speaker replacement.

Also the only video I have seen/listened to that identifies the characteristic air pump "slap" when coasting is the Hornby mag/Key publishing video??

Yes, factory defaults, out of the box

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GeoffBird said:

I can remember seeing the CCE hauled by a Manor with a headboard at Dovey Junction.  Two questions - a) did both parts carry a headboard after the train divided at MCH?  - b) Was there ever a train reporting number carried on a Manor from Shrewsbury?

There were 2 different styles of headboard, presumably one for each half. 

I've only ever seen train reporting numbers on stuff other than the CCE too.   No sooner than I typed that than I came across an Ifor Higgon photo of double headed Dukes haulic the CCE with  just reporting number 250. 

Edited by Quarryscapes

5 hours ago, GeoffBird said:

I can remember seeing the CCE hauled by a Manor with a headboard at Dovey Junction.  Two questions - a) did both parts carry a headboard after the train divided at MCH?  - b) Was there ever a train reporting number carried on a Manor from Shrewsbury?

This doesn't answer either question but the majority of the Machynlleth allocated Manor were based at Aberystwyth so normally worked the Aber to Shrewsbury thorugh leg (and return) in one day and kept the headboard.

The loco charged with the coast leg was normally a 22xx or 45xx/4575 or 63xx/73xx or later 3MT or 4MT though I'm not sure if they had a headboard or not

EDIT

The answer to the headboard question can be yes and no

This photo has only the Aberystwyth portion with headboard...

https://railphotoprints.uk/p212161752/h3f92d675#h3f92d675

... but this has both Aberystwyth and Pwllheli portions with headboards

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p404170585/hc1e9796e#hc1e9796e

Edited by SteamingWales
Adding extra info
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7800 (replacement/alternative for my cancelled 7802 and will be renumbered and renamed to said loco in due course) arrived with me a few weeks ago. Only just now getting around to posting about it.

The smokebox dart is attached this time! Very little in terms of glue mark although there is the usual "misting" around a handrail at front of the smokebox and I didn't notice until later that the rear handrail knob on the driver's side had worked itself out of the hole which has since been refitted. I did notice after running in that the slidebars and a few of the crankpins had some lubrication applied to them, I'm assuming this was done at the factory? Many thanks to Accurascale's customer service team for getting this all sorted. I patiently await 7810's arrival in the coming days/weeks.

20230831_123708.jpg

20230831_123731.jpg

20230831_123805.jpg

20230831_123822.jpg

20230831_124424.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hello Accurascale and everyone

I received the first of my two manors on Friday and it has been 'running in' on and off since then.

I can say without doubt that this is the best 00 steam loco that I have ever had (with the caveat that I have only had it four days and 'the proof of the pudding will be in the eating'!).

I use what used to be Kent Panel Controls DC handheld controllers (now made by All Components) with feedback switched to virtually zero. The start/stop performance is very smooth - akin to that in the DCC video shown earlier. So far, not a single derailment despite being sent through crossovers etc at 'unusually high speed' back and forward.

The Manors have been bought in full knowledge that they - like many many other makers' items - are designed for a minimum of Second Radius. My reverse loops are First, Second and Third, so I thought I'd give it a test around First - no problem whatsoever with no 'binding' etc. To my happy surprise, the same was true in reverse!

Well done Accurascale!

Brian

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 02/09/2023 at 09:17, atom3624 said:

I often wonder how much effort people put into sizing the coal load pieces before placement.  I try to imagine the poor fireman lifting some of the probably-20kg chunks some have in their tenders!

Al.

Just found this photo which is quite interesting. Are the uniform round nuggets, (particularly in the furthest GWR loco) some sort of manufactured coal or just randomly come out like that?

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p404170585/ebdbc3b3

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, SteamingWales said:

This doesn't answer either question but the majority of the Machynlleth allocated Manor were based at Aberystwyth so normally worked the Aber to Shrewsbury thorugh leg (and return) in one day and kept the headboard.

The loco charged with the coast leg was normally a 22xx or 45xx/4575 or 63xx/73xx or later 3MT or 4MT though I'm not sure if they had a headboard or not

EDIT

The answer to the headboard question can be yes and no

This photo has only the Aberystwyth portion with headboard...

https://railphotoprints.uk/p212161752/h3f92d675#h3f92d675

... but this has both Aberystwyth and Pwllheli portions with headboards

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p404170585/hc1e9796e#hc1e9796e

There are. a number of published photos of the train on the coast section with the engine carrying the older style of headboard. But there doesn't seem to be any consistency about it as there are far more photos of that portion without a headboard on the engine

1 minute ago, Hal Nail said:

Just found this photo which is quite interesting. Are the uniform round nuggets, (particularly in the furthest GWR loco) some sort of manufactured coal or just randomly come out like that?

This is an excellent, if unfortunate (for the fireman) photo!!

Thanks for sharing.

Was this common practice?

Would the prime express trains on the East and West coasts have a similar mix, or is this for the 'lower priority' still obviously important services?

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

They are the dreaded ovoids the WR's answer to getting cheaper coal.  Commonly called 'eggs' by most Western enginemen I've known over the years and not much liked as they apparently needed a really hot fire to get them to burn properly.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

For what it is worth, I too wondered about headboards on both portions of the CCE. It so happens that in the last few days, I came across a picture (sadly I can't remember where) showing both up portions side by side at Dovey Junction. (Obviously one would follow the other to Maccy, where they would combine). Both of them were carrying similar (as per the AS version) headboards, though the Pwllheli one was slightly obscured by station infrastructure. 

I've also purchased a coach roofboard set from Sankey Scenics. Printed on card they have included 2 versions of the loco headboards - the one like the AS one, and also the earlier standard black BR type. They state these were the only types ever used. 

20 hours ago, GeoffBird said:

Can't answer part B I'm afraid, but I can confirm that the Coast section of the CCE did carry headboards after the train divided at MCH.  There are a couple of nice pictures of 2285 taken a few months apart in 1958 on Page 155 of 'Cambrian Railways Gallery' by David Maidment and Paul Carpenter (Pen & Sword Publishing) clearly showing both types of headboards in use.  Looks like the changeover in headboards was in 1958.  There is a further picture on Page 161 in the same book of 2236 hauling the CCE near Towyn on 30 June 1964 without the headboard.  I have seen photos of the headboard in use in 1963 so (speculating wildly!) I suspect that the headboards went after the Midland Region took over the Cambrian routes in 1963.   Hope this helps.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, stewartingram said:

For what it is worth, I too wondered about headboards on both portions of the CCE. It so happens that in the last few days, I came across a picture (sadly I can't remember where) showing both up portions side by side at Dovey Junction. (Obviously one would follow the other to Maccy, where they would combine). Both of them were carrying similar (as per the AS version) headboards, though the Pwllheli one was slightly obscured by station infrastructure. 

I've also purchased a coach roofboard set from Sankey Scenics. Printed on card they have included 2 versions of the loco headboards - the one like the AS one, and also the earlier standard black BR type. They state these were the only types ever used. 

It was a much simpler job to combine the Up portions at Dovey Jcn and that was definitely the way it was done at one time ,  Certainly it was the booked arrangement in the 1959 Summer timetable

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Today I discovered, like some others, that getting a Decoder into the Tender appeared simple... but ended with me faffing frantically to replace the front vertical handrail on the Fireman's side, as the upper clip came loose and I just couldn't get it back in place. Secured the Handrail differently and tried not to notice.

The Handbrake Column also came loose and the front Plate to which that was attached also fell off. They were OK to refix.

I shall also have to check where the Cab/Tender Doors fit as they both fell off!

Also slopped a bit more Weathering/Matt Varnish (MIG) on parts whilst I had the chance.

I need to work on my 'wiped with an oily cloth' look in places.

I then found the Decoder (as supplied for this Engine), works really well but doesn't want to be adjusted on the 'Test Track' in my NCE Power Cab, other than Decoder/Loco Number change that I did on 'The Main'.

The only thing I think I'd adjust would be the Acceleration/Deceleration

I shall have to look up the ECU programming guff on the WEB, as there wasn't a sheet in the Box. NOT a criticism but maybe not so clever for less experienced Modellers?

This is a great addition to the Fleet.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4