Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Cofga said:

Then last night I remembered the voltage change so I kicked it back up to 13.8 volts and the PowerPack sprang back to life! So apparently the PowerPack design requires greater than 12 volts to operate. 

As far as I understand it, ESU recommend at least 14 volts. 

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, GeoffBird said:

Great news.  I always order my Accurascale items from the Dublin office, thus avoiding all the extra costs associated with "Brexit".  Look forward to receiving these is a "drop safe" box!

@McC Is ordering from the Dublin office still going forward for EU residents? I thought the process was soon ceasing, although I hope not.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, melmerby said:

Surely the juicers don't consume much whilst static?

Likewise surely points don't use too much current unless switching? Actual amount will depend on type of decoder and point motor.

EDIT

Tortoises of course use most when stationary

My bad. Without the loco (any loco) on the layout the Cab shows .19. 

Manor on and static it's 23.

manor in action at full speed it's .36.

My Points are DCC Concepts.

Phil

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I'm interested in the current consumption to make sure that the decoder I'll be fitting can handle it. "Plenty of current" worries me a little...

OK St. 

No loco on the Layout is .19

Manor at rest added is .23

Manor with Nine nice free running Baccy Portholes, hauled easily and no wheel slip and a good turn of speed is .34/6 max

Hope that helps?

Phil

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

38 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

OK St. 

Manor with Nine nice free running Baccy Portholes, hauled easily and no wheel slip and a good turn of speed is .34/6 max

Hope that helps?

Phil

My measurements were done with sound off which does make a difference.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, McC said:

As far as I understand it, ESU recommend at least 14 volts. 

It’s not in the ESU PowerPack instruction sheet in the package I have. I have been using them since 2015 and this is the first time I’ve heard that. That’s the kind of tip to include in the loco instructions sheet on the next model—would have saved me pulling out my hair for 2 days trying to find a fix. 

Edited by Cofga
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, SteamingWales said:

Ordered some smokebox door numbers as I always do with new models from @railtec-models  for renumbering and general modelling purposes.

Not a criticism of the AS model but more praise for the Railtec product that they definitely improve the already brilliant front end!PXL_20230909_154247879.jpg.e39aba4207cfdf23e7499a270f58f0cc.jpg

Funny things are numberplates. Pprsonally I think the AS looks original better, perhaps because it’s painted but it looks more like the cast iron plate it’s a model of. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

14 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Funny things are numberplates. Pprsonally I think the AS looks original better, perhaps because it’s painted but it looks more like the cast iron plate it’s a model of. 

I do think plates are a very personal thing. I had fitted the etches to my 7802 and 7812 but when the Railtec transfers to renumber my 7800 to 7823 decided I liked those more so took the etches off and ordered the sets for the other 2 so they are all consistent. If I hadn't renumbered 7800 I would have probably stuck with the etches as they are good quality

Kudos should also be given for the fact that the smokebox plate is on brackets as per prototype Vs moulded onto the smokebox. First time I've seen it on a OO model and after a quick Google only the Rapido 15xx has the same. The new tool Hornby black 5 for example doesn't have that 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

13 hours ago, McC said:

Good to know! Our own new packing (bespoke made) should start shipping to customers in the next week or so too. Each box has been custom made with build in shock absorbers 

This is fantastic news! 

Accurascale are producing some top quality models and it is a shame to have them damaged at the last hurdle in transit. 

This will hopefully greatly reduce the number of models needing to be returned. 

So thank you for having new packing. This will be a game changer! It’s such a breath of fresh air when a company listens to feedback and takes on board. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

OK St. 

Hope that helps?

Phil

It does indeed. Thanks.

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 hours ago, BenL said:

Thanks very much for the response. I guess it begs the question as to whether a pretty ancient standard GM controller is a good controller - it’s certainly worked brilliantly for me over many years and continues to do so with everything I run so I will just hope it’s good enough for my Manor when it arrives.

My Gaugemaster controller is not a new one by any means ( twin DD) and all my locos run fine in all speed ranges, including the new 15xx from Rapido, which runs like a dream down to a crawl, and is heavy for its size. I can understand there may be slightly more controllability on DCC, but shouldn’t make much difference. I had to reorder Erlestoke from AS, after returning the original to Cheltenham models (noisy runner, and very jerky at slow speed, even after several hours running in), and to be fair it’s a lot better, not brilliant, but at least I can get it down to an acceptable slow speed, it may get better after more running in).

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Hello Accurascale and everyone

Another 'positive' for the Manor...

My two Manors are to replace my ageing Bachmann versions.

When my layout is in 'WR mode' (an 'impression of' Newton Abbot, run in DC) my Manors are often used as pilots so I was a tad worried that the new locos wouldn't 'performance match' my Halls, Castles, Counties and Kings.

I'm pleased to say that at 'South Devon speeds', they are as close as makes no odds for the few feet that I double-head to the reverse loops off-scene and back.🙂

With most of the locos as light engines, the Manor is slightly slower; this is good because they become 'matched' when the train loco takes the coaching stock load.

If there was any marginally noticeable disparity, it is with the Counties - hint, hint to Accurascale to make the class please! My order for three is sitting here waiting to go!

Brian

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

7 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

When my layout is 

8 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

When my layout is in 'WR mode' (an 'impression of' Newton Abbot, run in DC) my Manors are often used as pilots so I was a tad worried that the new locos wouldn't 'performance match' my Halls, Castles, Counties and Kings.

I'm pleased to say that at 'South Devon speeds', they are as close as makes no odds for the few feet that I double-head to the reverse loops off-scene and back.🙂

With most of the locos as light engines, the Manor is slightly slower; this is good because they become 'matched' when the train loco takes the coaching stock load.

If there was any marginally noticeable disparity, it is with the Counties - hint, hint to Accurascale to make the class please! My order for three is sitting here waiting to go!

Brian

Brian

Good to hear a report of good Manor running on DC…

And here’s another order for 3 Counties awaiting!

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Another vote for the Hawksworth County - with the wonderful Manor now a 'foreigner' on my NE region themed layout and now having been joined by a rather wonderful 15xx from another manufacturer I would definitely  buy at least 1 County and thereby have a 'WR mode' as well :)

Come on Accurascale - you know it makes sense :)

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Lyonshall Castle said:

No. Still waiting. Any news on when they will be mailed out? 

Hi @Lyonshall Castle,

We relayed the latest update based on information from our factory last week in the following update on our website. More info as we get it.

https://www.accurascale.come/blogs/news/mega-mini-delivery-update-manors-37s-21-tonners-coil-a-and-banana-vans

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I have a question about external changes to the Manors. It was my understanding that during the early 1950s BR made modifications to improve steaming and operation of the Manors. Among the external mods were a narrowing of the chimney and an oil pipe added on the side of the smokebox. I also thought that the bulge or pipe (sorry but don’t know the technical term) from the upper side of the smokebox back onto the boiler was done at that time. However I just noticed that the locos with the “GWR” lettering on the tender (Accurascale’s nos. 7818 & 7819 ) also have this bulge and that livery style was limited to pre-nationalisation. So just when did GWR make that modification? Thanks—Larry

• Friendly/supportive 1

50 minutes ago, Cofga said:

So just when did GWR make that modification? Thanks—Larry

Assuming you are talking about the superheater/lubricator pipe cover, all Manors had them (on the right-hand side) from initial build. Many locos also later acquired covers on the left-hand side.

• Informative/Useful 1