Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Very much an over enthusiastic amateur rather than an expert in things DCC and electric myself! The power supply that came with my 5 amp booster has a slider on the side, 12v or 13.8v. I've learnt so much about 'electrics' through sometimes expensive mistakes but I'm assured that now I have upgraded my power bus I'm safe to up the voltage which I have done using the aforementioned slider.

My previous power bus was I am told more akin to a toaster than a power supply  - so be sure that your power bus is 'up to it' before proceeding :)

Thanks.

Oh I see. I fried a 5Amp Booster and Handset some years back. Don't know how. Still in Trauma!

I thought you meant you could adjust the Voltage out of the Handset!

I use an 18 Volt regulated supply to the Handset.  

My Main BUS is Household Ring Main Copper with 6 X 2 amp short circuit 'protection'.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Thanks.

Oh I see. I fried a 5Amp Booster and Handset some years back. Don't know how. Still in Trauma!

I thought you meant you could adjust the Voltage out of the Handset!

I use an 18 Volt regulated supply to the Handset.  

My Main BUS is Household Ring Main Copper with 6 X 2 amp short circuit 'protection'.

'Snap' in all respects apart from the new 5 amp NCE booster came with the power supply and the previously mentioned choice of voltage :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Stevielad said:

Are the second batch in the UK yet?

Hi @Stevielad,

I can confirm that they have left the factory and are in transit to us! FINALLY!!!!

We will have a clearer ETA tomorrow, but next week sometime is how it stands ATM.

Thank you all once again for your patience. We really appreciate it and have learned a lot on this one about going forwards.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Reading through the Class 37 posts I noticed mention of altering CV259 in the LokSound v5 Clas 37 sound decoder to increase volume of the Class 37 speaker sound. In the Class 37 post JohnC increased the setting to 255 and the sound was indeed increased. I thought I would try this on the LokSound v5 Manor sound decoder which I bought separately from Accurascale and installed on 7812 "Erlestoke Manor". Now the LokSound v5 "guff" says CV259 max is set at value 128 but on checking I found CV259 was actually set at 160 not 128 so I then increased it to 255 and indeed the sound has got a little louder. I am learning more about the intricacies of this all the time, thanks to the expertise and advice shown on RMWeb. Thanks for this. Hope this increase doesn't blow the speakers though! 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Moley48 said:

Thought I would share a little speed step one goodness from this fine locomotive. 

Nice. About 4 rpm, equivalent to just over 1 0.8 mph.

Edited by St Enodoc
Brain fade
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Captain Kernow said:

Has anyone even experienced such fine control on DC?

Yes. My Hornby 38xx, which I bought about 10 years ago, would run so slowly that you could barely see it move. That was on our club layout, the controllers for which were custom-built, so I don't know what was inside the cases.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, St Enodoc said:

Yes. My Hornby 38xx, which I bought about 10 years ago, would run so slowly that you could barely see it move. That was on our club layout, the controllers for which were custom-built, so I don't know what was inside the cases.

While that's good to know, I apologise, in that I meant with this Manor. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Captain Kernow said:

While that's good to know, I apologise, in that I meant with this Manor. 

Sorry, I thought you meant generally. I haven't got an Accurascale Manor yet - mine will be in the next batch.

• Like 3

I would like to do another video on DC but I only have a Hornby trainset controller and I detest the thing.

I am using a dr5000 through Merg Boosters. Massively overkill now but these stem from a time when we had a fiddle yard that turned out to be impractical for our cramped space so it, along with our helix got removed. Sad Day :(

The best I've ever seen running was from a Heljan class 25, laptop and a arduino.  Almost unnoticeable as @St Enodoc says. Again that was obviously DCC and there will never ever be any need to run the loco that slow again it was just nice to see what it can do.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Has anyone even experienced such fine control on DC?

These clips were put together to highlight the jumping into life behaviour.  There is some good slow running at around 1.15 / 1.50 minutes (Gaugemaster DS).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDGIzkXMnSg

There is a good video by Harequinn of this parish showing his digital model running superbly slowly,  I don't think running slowly is the issue - more the overcoming friction to get started.

Ray

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Thinking about it, I've had superb slow speed control from a variety of RTR diesels (mostly Bachmann, it has to be said) and a small number of steam locos. This is why I generally find I have to build an etched chassis (with a high ratio gearbox) for steam locos, where necessary, even for OO. At least any poor running after that is down to me.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Thinking about it, I've had superb slow speed control from a variety of RTR diesels (mostly Bachmann, it has to be said) and a small number of steam locos. This is why I generally find I have to build an etched chassis (with a high ratio gearbox) for steam locos, where necessary, even for OO. At least any poor running after that is down to me.

What gear ratio do you use? 40:1?

• Informative/Useful 1

47 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

...I've had superb slow speed control from a variety of RTR diesels (mostly Bachmann, it has to be said) and a small number of steam locos. This is why I generally find I have to build an etched chassis (with a high ratio gearbox) for steam locos, where necessary, even for OO...

Regarding this aspect, progress has been uneven on RTR OO steam mechanisms. The Bachmann WD 2-8-0 purchased in 1999 was the first I had that performed like a good kit built mechanism, (Buhler motor, 40:1 reduction, two sprung driven axles) after a couple of hours 'exercise' it would crawl smoothly at about 0.5 mph on a DC resistance controller.

Would that all subsequent mechanisms performed this well to deliver a realistic 'creep' in and out of motion. Even though DCC compensates more than adequately, a good mechanism is desireable.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

1.6 cm a minute good enough, straight out of the box… 5 years ago ?

Oh very nice. The Europeans generally do this so well. This is the kind of quality I've always said I'd be happy to pay more for, even if no steam loco would ever run that slowly for that long.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

I liked the bit where it stopped and got a 'gentle thump' off camera!

Generally excellent, but I've done similar on several occasions with Hornby Princess Elizabeth, Royal Scot and Bachmann Rood Ashton Hall.

Some is 'general build' but I've found much relates to the individual locomotive.

My Sir WIlliam Stanier will be very good as well, but many of these have 'sticky chassis' - tight spots in the gears / possibly quartering as well.

Al.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 23/09/2023 at 22:23, Cofga said:

A lot of interesting discussion today about the decoders and slow speed operation. So far I have not been able to test mine on DC as I don’t have a NEXT18 blanking plug. However I have ordered a DCC ready Anthony Manor and once it arrives will give it a break in and tests on various DC controllers. My suspicion is that a transistorized DC controller that provides PWM power at the track should offer performance similar to the PWM power delivered by a decoder. On the other hand DCC decoders also have feedback monitoring (BEMF) that can improve motor performance, something most DC controllers do not offer. Here in the US we typically operate HO/OO scale at about 14 volts DCC and I know some guys who use 12 volts to give proportionally slower speeds due to the fact that a decoder provides about 1-1.2 volts less to the motor than DCC track voltage. I use DCC Concepts Alpha Meters to monitor track voltage and amperage—Larry

Well I now have a DHL tracking number for Anthony Manor, so lord willing and the rivers don’t rise it should be here by this time next week.  However that just means that DHL has received the shipping info from Accurascale but not picked up the package yet, does DHL pickup in Birmingham on Saturdays and does anyone work at the Accurascale warehouse on weekends? 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Cofga said:

Well I now have a DHL tracking number for Anthony Manor, so lord willing and the rivers don’t rise it should be here by this time next week.  However that just means that DHL has received the shipping info from Accurascale but not picked up the package yet, does DHL pickup in Birmingham on Saturdays and does anyone work at the Accurascale warehouse on weekends? 

Our warehouse team are 7 days now and we are about 80 meters from the DHL international hub :) 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 3