Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Limpley Stoker said:

Hmm , so complicated!   I think I will stick to DC,  I thought I might be tempted to upgrade to DCC if I bought the sound fitted Manor.
My Anthony Manor is entertaining enough on DC ,  all I’m missing are the whistles but then I don’t recall any steam engine whistling in the 50s and 60s. Today is different in preservation - nothing moves without a whistle.

Er….yes they did.  The GW tone was markedly shrill in tone….soprano if you like…..as opposed to the deep bass of some of the competition such as the LM. Though the shriek of an Arthur at full tilt came close to mimicking it.Then of course came the Transatlantic siren of Canton’s Britannias…such brazen hussies,as an impertinent challenge to the Castles etc.Sorry for the self indulgent rambling but good to see we have another member of the dc sound sect. True ,no whistle but Dinmore Manor is fun nonetheless.Yes DCC is far too complex for me too.Seems as if it’s ‘F’ this and ‘F’

that…I mean..how vulgar can you get ? Enjoy.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

No Whistles in the 50s and 60s? Really?  Maybe you only spotted out in the wilds?

P

I think you’re right - I wasn’t a spotter but watched passing trains on rural lines.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Limpley Stoker said:

I think you’re right - I wasn’t a spotter but watched passing trains on rural lines.

Ah, that sort of makes sense.

Whistles were common at Stations and Yards and essential for Bankers etc.  Also, of course, there were places where Whistles were mandatory, such as before Crossing Places. Most Engines whistled as approaching a Tunnel as well or where there was a busy Station that they were running through at speed; Wimbledon was such a place with Bulleids passing very fast indeed. That was a spine chilling experience, especially in Winter in the dark at busy times.

I think the greater use at Heritage lines is a bit of a 'performance' to enhance the experience and Main Line Steam will often Whistle at spectators. 

I have a few Sound fitted Steam Locos and the Bulleids have great Whistles that I use at Honiton Tunnel and on the through lines at Seaton Junction. The rest of the sounds are a bit feeble in my opinion. The 'cheap' Hornby fitted sounds are not great; you get what you pay for with sound programmes and at £100 ish that is far too much in my opinion, unless you only have a few Engines.

Diesels' sounds are far better  in my experience.

Enjoy your Manor. They are superb Engines.

Phil

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Er….yes they did.  The GW tone was markedly shrill in tone….soprano if you like…..as opposed to the deep bass of some of the competition such as the LM. Though the shriek of an Arthur at full tilt came close to mimicking it.Then of course came the Transatlantic siren of Canton’s Britannias…such brazen hussies,as an impertinent challenge to the Castles etc.Sorry for the self indulgent rambling but good to see we have another member of the dc sound sect. True ,no whistle but Dinmore Manor is fun nonetheless. Yes DCC is far too complex for me too.Seems as if it’s ‘F’ this and ‘F’

that…I mean..how vulgar can you get ? Enjoy.

Ooooof Ian, Brit Whistles...oh yes, especially at speed!

First time I heard a LMS Hooter, way way back in the mists of time, I almost fainted! It was only a Black 5 as well IIRC?

Sadly Scotsman has a really feeble and watery Whistle.

P

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

…. It was only a Black 5 as well IIRC? ….

…. ONLY a Black 5. That should get some comments!

Seriously though; the mellow hooting of the Caledonian bass siren, whether echoing in the hollow confines of an urban setting or heard fleetingly from afar across the Northern moors can evoke some dormant inner emotions. Perhaps it’s my Southern ears, but that sound has always emitted an almost haunting appeal,

Edited by Right Away
oops!
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

29 minutes ago, reddragon said:

Has anyone got a delivery notification for the long lost second half of batch 1 yet? I'm still awaiting 7819!

I haven’t yet. I only got my Manor from the first half of the batch a fortnight ago. I’ve got two from the second half to come. All pre ordered at the same time. 

4 hours ago, disco1974 said:

I haven’t yet. I only got my Manor from the first half of the batch a fortnight ago. I’ve got two from the second half to come. All pre ordered at the same time. 

Also still waiting for 7810 Draycott - never mind, soon be Xmas.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

First time I heard a LMS Hooter, way way back in the mists of time, I almost fainted!

Back when I was volunteering at Groudle Glen, I used to have fun when driving Richard Booth's Bagnall replica 'Annie'.  She had a normal whistle on the turret....by the safety valves here. 8 years younger NHN.

P1060798.JPG.b288fee790baa754f1f821638431e72f.JPG

But behind the right tank is a whistle off an 8F, which I used to blow when on the way back down the bank, the reactions of folk in the carriage next to the loco were a sight to see.  You can just see it here, that's just the tip, it is about four times the size of the 'proper' whistle. LOUD!

P1110976.JPG.30b64ab5dcaa3982632e1983f2bf6f82.JPG

Not a great photo, trying to drive a loco banking a train (and bucking about a bit) and take a photo at the same time isn't easy.

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 2

5 hours ago, disco1974 said:

I was told by Accurascale at the Milton Keynes show that they were due that week so I should click on the "tell me when it is in stock" button. I did and they contacted me a few days later and my Iford Manor arrived a couple of days ago. Great service.

• Like 4

I receieved my "Erlestoke Manor" several days ago, but have mixed feelings I'm afraid. 

Visually it is a lovely loco and am very impressed with it. Running-wise however, not so much.

Although once it's running it is smooth enough, the starting/stopping is not so good. For the price paid I expect a slow smooth start and not a sudden movement into life, which is something I am particularly attuned to. I have run it on my rolling road for 30/40 minutes each way, but it shows no sign of improvement.

I have had much better "out of the box" running from both Hornby & Bachmann locos, but my expectations from Accurascale were certainly as high as my other recent purchases from both of those companies. Does anyone have any similar experiences with these Manors or indeed the Dapol examples? I do not think it is too much to ask that the running is of the highest quality, considering the price asked.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, exmoordave said:

I receieved my "Erlestoke Manor" several days ago, but have mixed feelings I'm afraid. 

Visually it is a lovely loco and am very impressed with it. Running-wise however, not so much.

Although once it's running it is smooth enough, the starting/stopping is not so good. For the price paid I expect a slow smooth start and not a sudden movement into life, which is something I am particularly attuned to. I have run it on my rolling road for 30/40 minutes each way, but it shows no sign of improvement.

I have had much better "out of the box" running from both Hornby & Bachmann locos, but my expectations from Accurascale were certainly as high as my other recent purchases from both of those companies. Does anyone have any similar experiences with these Manors or indeed the Dapol examples? I do not think it is too much to ask that the running is of the highest quality, considering the price asked.

What's you Control?

P

Granville Manor arrived this morning. On opening the box everything is intact on the loco, no glue marks, only thing I could spot was one cab handrail just short of the roof which will be sorted at the weekend.
It took just short of two hours to read all sheets on decoder pro, (my Zimos took around twenty minutes), and my only change was the running number and to turn off dc.

Running was a very smooth start and gradual acceleration, no slowing on curves. Stopping using F2 was smooth as well, noting the differences between heavy and light loco, (F5 & F6).
The sound did not go off when on the turntable and the polarity changed, so the stay alive is working. I only wish the stay alive that comes with the Zimos would have managed just that.

I am well pleased with it, but the rest of my locos on the shed are wondering what this green thing is that has just turned up.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, exmoordave said:

Does anyone have any similar experiences with these Manors

This is where 145 page threads become next to useless but if you can stomach skimming backwards, I'm sure there is discussion about this since they came out. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, exmoordave said:

My own control system is KPC and at my club, it's Gaugemaster.

As someone said...feedback Controllers are a bit of/can be an issue with this Motor.

As someone else said, 145 Pages is a lot to dig through to find the stuff about Controllers, which was discussed at some length IIRC?

I hope your issue gets sorted as this is a really neat and smart Loco. 

P

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, exmoordave said:

You don’t mention whether your Erlestoke is DC or DCC. On these pages, your problem has been mentioned a lot on DC locos. My Anthony came DCC fitted and works smoothly. It had bits damaged and detached and I am waiting for spares to replace the broken drain cocks. Apart from that, it looks superb. As for the Dapol, which also came DCC fitted, its performance is superb and the sound extremely good – much superior in features, sound quality and integration. Not that Anthony is bad, on the contrary, it is good but it is not as good as the Dapol. For detail and livery colour, Anthony is better but the performance of the Dapol is enchanting.

Both locos came in the middle of a rash of new steam arrivals but for me, subjectively, only the Bachmann WD has impressed me as much as the Dapol Manor.

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, exmoordave said:

Does anyone have any similar experiences with these Manors...........

Yes (and not just me, DC users only) page 140 I posted some info, I have been doing some experiments on and off since latest test was yesterday, to be concluded to today so may post back later. 

As I said on Oct 3 when loaded 3+ coaches it will make an 'acceptable' (but not good enough) stop start.  If I had bought direct, it would have gone back, (although some folks replacements have same issue).  My shop is not interested as they tested before they dispatch.  I know of someone who has ditched the DCC gubbins in tender and just rewired which seems to improve it.

• Friendly/supportive 1