Have your say with Rapido

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold

I think detail variations are common in older locos, especially when you get back into those built in the 19th century, because even standard company designs like these Beyer-Peacocks tended to be individual builds with no two exactly alike, and of course older locos that were in service for extended periods tended to pick up further alterations to thier original spec.  GWR saddle tanks converted to panniers, for instance, are not so much classes as groups of engines with similar overall leading measurements and general characteristics, overlaid by a variety of wheel spokes, chimneys, dome positions, bunkers, weatherboards/half-cabs/full cabs, buffers, coupling rods, and so on, and on.

It mitigates against tooling for a whole class, but as many of these variations could be tooled as separate items so long as the main bodyshell tooling is to scale,

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, NZRedBaron said:

That's actually something I've been thinking about for a while; what models would be the best starting point for those American Moguls?

One made by Rapido, I should think.

Failing that, IIRC there were kits at one stage. If the thought is an RTR chassis, were I a betting man, I'd wager you wouldn't find a British outline model of a 5' wheel diameter prototype with the outlandish wheel base of 6'3" + 8'6" for the coupled wheels. The ominous words "scratch build" are thus forming in my mind. 

Whether the HO market would offer a suitable starting point is beyond my ken. You would want an HO model of a prototype with something like 5' 8 1/2" coupled wheels to equal 5' in 4mil. Although, I may have just made that up as I'm rubbish at maths.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

As the odd and outlandish seems to sell, I'm just going to leave these here...

image.png.c339838a4e27b34a170464414792169b.png

image.png.7b72a611d4751b5908b7255197a0333a.png

3 hours ago, NZRedBaron said:

That's actually something I've been thinking about for a while; what models would be the best starting point for those American Moguls?

3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

One made by Rapido, I should think.

Failing that, IIRC there were kits at one stage. If the thought is an RTR chassis, were I a betting man, I'd wager you wouldn't find a British outline model of a 5' wheel diameter prototype with the outlandish wheel base of 6'3" + 8'6" for the coupled wheels. The ominous words "scratch build" are thus forming in my mind. 

Whether the HO market would offer a suitable starting point is beyond my ken. You would want an HO model of a prototype with something like 5' 8 1/2" coupled wheels to equal 5' in 4mil. Although, I may have just made that up as I'm rubbish at maths.  

There's always the Triang 'Davy Crockett' mogul.

• Like 1

Rapido didn't get me what I really wanted this Christmas.

Squirrelling 20 quid a week away next year for the hobby, half of that for rolling stock, if Rapido can put out a L&YR Class 25 or MSC long tank 0-6-0 they'll have at least a third of my rolling stock budget in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/12/2023 at 18:20, Edwardian said:

As the odd and outlandish seems to sell, I'm just going to leave these here...

image.png.c339838a4e27b34a170464414792169b.png

image.png.7b72a611d4751b5908b7255197a0333a.png

Hello Edwardian

You - and others here - may like to know that the MR USA Mogul is one of the 25 items in this year's Quirky Poll.

Have a look at the thread: The Quirky Poll 2023.

Brian

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Edwardian

You - and others here - may like to know that the MR USA Mogul is one of the 25 items in this year's Quirky Poll.

Have a look at the thread: The Quirky Poll 2023.

Brian

It’s had my vote already, although I’m not convinced that it is exactly quirky. Different, certainly, but I’m inclined to think that it got minds working in British railway circles and is therefore historically significant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello No Decorum

It was suggested by a voter last time and we felt it was 'quirky' in relation to 'normal' BR locos.

The OED definition of quirky is: Having or characterised by peculiar or unexpected traits or aspects.

The Poll is always a 'matter of opinion' and The Team itself has many debates before you see the list.🙂

Brian (on behalf of The Quirky Poll Team)

• Like 5

On 20/12/2023 at 14:10, Jeff Smith said:

I'm sure the owners would be somewhat unsettled to hear it described as such.  I've no idea where it is or what condition it is in but it has had several public appearances in steam on LT metals.

I have been familiar with Met No.1 over many years and am very aware that it has been in steam on LT metals, however it is described by the centre as under overhaul, and last time I was at Bucks Railway Centre I am sure I saw parts of the disassembled loco out in the open - I will check next time I am there.

• Like 1

Having yesterday been handed my five ('Gold Rings', gettit?) Rapido MR opens I should be satisfied right? And they are very fine, and there's no accounting for popularity and sales, as such  model subjects should leave the shelves at a terrific rate.

Anything further in the way of numerous LMS van and open designs most welcome.

Now, pre-group brake vans, nothing yet from the LNER group: the GCR's 15/20T six wheel specimen was a good looking job, and endured well in service. 'Good looking' strikes me as significant...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Anything further in the way of numerous LMS van and open designs most welcome.

As an early BR period modeller, I'd have to endorse this; the LMS was the origin of not far short of half the general merchandise opens and vans in service during this period, and pooling ensured that all designs got everywhere in those general proportions.  Looking at my wagon fleet, on a 1945-58 layout, I'm not far off but probably have too many LNER wagons and am a bit over-represented with Ashford vans (mind, two of them are ex-LMS).

The RTR goods stock situation is improving all the time, though, with better quality and a much greater biodiversity, which Rapido have been partly responsible for.  More and better GW vans and opens are in the offing as well, yay.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

On 21/12/2023 at 18:46, NZRedBaron said:

They were very small even by contemporary US standards, so pretty much anything in US N and HO be made to represent them (albeit generically). I did one in N gauge using a 1:160 scale Athearn 2-6-0, which was by coincidence almost bang on for the dimensions of these locos in UK 1:148 scale. It just needed a new cab, shortened smoke box with a new door (from N Brass I think) and some simple changes to the tender to make it a really quite convincing representation of the real thing. I imagine something fairly similar can be done with a HO gauge model, perhaps with the ancient Roundhouse 2-6-0, the only US-outline mogul I know of available RTR that represents a parallel- boilered loco of similar vintage and size.

And don't forget the MS&LR/ GCR had some too!

Edited by Forward!
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

While we are on the subject of American locos in the UK, the Port Talbot Rly. had some Cooke 0-6-2Ts, a very left wall arrangement for that or any American builder.  The Barry had 0-8-2Ts from America as well, can't recall the company offhand.  My brain's telling me Baldwin's, but I don't completely trust it, it's misinformed me before.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, alexl102 said:

I suspect that this particular post may have been partially intended to gauge interest for a potential Ltd Ed model... it's too good to have spent that long designing for no reason!

image.png.c34fa0bc01c3b2b8d7707da7e4ac89fb.png

• Funny 2

11 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Do this, go on, just do this ....

rejected-jan-blue-O1a.jpg.3caf3007de543e177718b5be32e37048.jpg.eeb562feb5dd5dc5ac87a41dd5940feb.jpg

rejected-jan-blue-O1-rear.jpg.ac71ad4e3f217606fcf8c5ce1d6f5808.jpg.96e2333619c9b4e4afca463385f879f8.jpg

Never being afraid to admit my ignorance...

So what is [or was] Bramble  ?

• Like 1

On 01/01/2024 at 18:32, The Johnster said:

While we are on the subject of American locos in the UK, the Port Talbot Rly. had some Cooke 0-6-2Ts, a very left wall arrangement for that or any American builder.  The Barry had 0-8-2Ts from America as well, can't recall the company offhand.  My brain's telling me Baldwin's, but I don't completely trust it, it's misinformed me before.

There was at least one Shay imported to the UK, but no photos exist.

• Like 2