Have your say with Rapido

rapidoandy

11 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

Problems with those fancy brakes again? Nice pair of skates...

10 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Dunno ..... shouldn't have been cold enough for them to freeze in the second half of April - even coming over the Fells.

They worked well enough when I had my trip. BR staff "comfort tests" back in around 1986. Flying through Shap summit at 115 mph.  It was quite literally awesome

• Like 1

Have filled in the web form in a bit more detail but after seeing the Fireless announcement, why not announce something that hasn't been done in British outline RTR before - a British outline tamper*? I'd put a Plasser & Theurer 08-16 through as a choice to provide a range of models, liveries etc.

* - Bachmann may have made one but it's a continental machine, sold as a OO model despite being HO and is vastly outdated. I've had two and sold one on, the other providing bogies for a OO Scale USP5000C

FGieB8CWUAEQROC.jpg

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

On 11/02/2024 at 04:20, Vanguard 5374 said:

Have filled in the web form in a bit more detail but after seeing the Fireless announcement, why not announce something that hasn't been done in British outline RTR before - 

Pardon my ignorance but where is the web form ?

After the excellent announcement of the "Caledonia" Fireless loco, and referring specifically to the Croda locomotive based at Four Ashes -I recall the location despatching the odd ferry tank of creosote. I don't have numbers nor photographs but the one shipment I recall was in two tanks with a "54"  country registration code.  How utterly fantastic would it be if Rapido were to launch a OO scale ferry tanks with end platform and handbrake.  Something different from the tank wagons already produced, and useful as a typical BR 1970s trip working with just a couple of wagons and an optional brakevan.    

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/02/2024 at 04:20, Vanguard 5374 said:

but after seeing the Fireless announcement, why not announce something that hasn't been done in British outline RTR before - a British outline tamper*?

Did you mean to put “something else”? 😉 

The problem with tampers is they might carry one or two liveries so people might buy one but rarely would they buy two or three while small industrials they do buy multiples, several on here have quoted buying 3 some rather more! Tampers are probably viable but I’d suspect with a rather hefty extra cost because they are so limited, unless tamper depots are the next MPD 😆

• Agree 2

I think any manufacturer would really struggle to produce a proper working tamper in 00 scale - let alone convertible for EM & P4 - all those special DCC commands and tungsten carbide tines capable of breaking up compacted PVA glued ballast don't bear thinking about !

881_05x.jpg.891d3ca5ad9159f664e413eeeb36ba45.jpg

Otford 5/7/97

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

14 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

I think any manufacturer would really struggle to produce a proper working tamper in 00 scale - let alone convertible for EM & P4 - all those special DCC commands and tungsten carbide tines capable of breaking up compacted PVA glued ballast don't bear thinking about !

881_05x.jpg.891d3ca5ad9159f664e413eeeb36ba45.jpg

Otford 5/7/97

Slue?

Slew, surely?

CJI.

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, cctransuk said:

Slue?

Slew, surely?

CJI.

Maybe if they had used Glew?

(I agree, it should be Slew. But correct spelling seems optional these days. Don’t get me started on Withdrawl…)

• Funny 2

27 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

(I agree, it should be Slew. But correct spelling seems optional these days. Don’t get me started on Withdrawl…)

... or withdrawral!

CJI.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Invariably slue in BR Civil Engineering speak. 

Having done some (cursory) research online, slew seems to be the accepted UK form - though BR clearly prefer to disagree. (I wonder if this is a Swindonism)?

CJI.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

Wotcher mean, these days?  Victorian documentation seems to have been the worst for spelling, slu, sloo, slue, breaks/break van, is it a signal box or a signal cabin, why is a goods engine used for mixed traffic, what is a luggage engine?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Invariably slue in BR Civil Engineering speak. 

It's those pesky Colonials again; coming here, and altering our  words. 

You can't adjust the cant, or can you? Where's the center rail on the Central Line? can I catch a train to Cockfosters with my co-workers? I did a Marathon once, but nowadays it's Snickers....

I'm awaiting the word middel in Websters.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone post a link to where I can order the Frankie Howerd train pack as advertised.🤣 It will complement the Hornby Beatles wagons reviewed by Sam's Trains.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

On 13/02/2024 at 18:20, The Johnster said:

Wotcher mean, these days?  Victorian documentation seems to have been the worst for spelling, slu, sloo, slue, breaks/break van, is it a signal box or a signal cabin, why is a goods engine used for mixed traffic, what is a luggage engine?

One that hauled luggage trains. Self explanatory really.

Don't forget the Liverpool & Manchester was built for moving stuff and people from a port to another city (and vice versa). A lot of those businessmen had luggage with them from their journey and probably goods. Think large ocean going chests. Then how many chests each of those passengers are going to have for a Trans Atlantic journey that lasted weeks. If each train had a couple of hundred passengers that's an awful lot of chests.

They needed engines that could pull those trains at similar speeds to the passenger engines. Hence the luggage engines.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 13/02/2024 at 18:20, The Johnster said:

On 21/02/2024 at 19:07, Steamport Southport said:

One that hauled luggage trains. Self explanatory really.

Don't forget the Liverpool & Manchester was built for moving stuff and people from a port to another city (and vice versa). A lot of those businessmen had luggage with them from their journey and probably goods. Think large ocean going chests. Then how many chests each of those passengers are going to have for a Trans Atlantic journey that lasted weeks. If each train had a couple of hundred passengers that's an awful lot of chests.

They needed engines that could pull those trains at similar speeds to the passenger engines. Hence the luggage engines.

Jason

[1] Standardised spelling didn't really become a thing until a majority of the population became more than semi-literate, sometime in the latter half of Victoria's reign.

Even surnames of related persons in Census records vary in the earlier portion, simply because one or more were illiterate and that's how the census taker heard it. If your brother in the next street was visited by somebody else, the spelling could easily get a different interpretation.

[2] If luggage trains needed to be pulled at passenger train speeds, it would be logical to use passenger engines. The Liverpool and Manchester, as a pioneering railway, may well have so described an engine a few years old that had been superseded by the latest design from passenger traffic.

The term would have gradually slipped from usage, as "intentional" mixed traffic locomotives came into use. However, "luggage engine" would have survived as long as the documents in which it appeared remained in use.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

[1] Standardised spelling doesn't really become a thing until a majority of the population become more than semi-literate, sometime in the latter half of Victoria's reign.

Victoria II? 😇

• Like 1
  • Funny 1