Have your say with Rapido

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Nova Scotian said:

Ooooof, this will be a hard one.

No L&YR Class 25 or MSC tank as hoped, so should have been an easy day on the credit card. But I love the J52s - have a treasured Hornby example in GNR green (pure rule 1). These look fantastic. May have to sleep on it.

Not a good idea with such a detailed model, you'll break bits off and wake up with a chimney up your exhaust pipe.

• Funny 9

On 10/11/2023 at 22:38, Nova Scotian said:

Ooooof, this will be a hard one.

No L&YR Class 25 or MSC tank as hoped, so should have been an easy day on the credit card. But I love the J52s - have a treasured Hornby example in GNR green (pure rule 1). These look fantastic. May have to sleep on it.

I could have written this exact post, word-for-word, except for the bit about one in GNR green - I have two in BR Black but much prefer the earlier liveries so considering flogging both to fund one of these!!

• Like 2

Clerestory coaches (generally). Plenty of examples. Hardly any examples on the market and nothing in modern standards of tooling (not that I'm aware of at least). With newer levels of tooling and detail I think these will look amazing. Interest in earlier eras these days (and successes hattons have had with genesis) I would hope translate to good sales. Now which examples of clerestory coaches to tackle first...? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, MoonM said:

Clerestory coaches (generally). Plenty of examples. Hardly any examples on the market and nothing in modern standards of tooling (not that I'm aware of at least). With newer levels of tooling and detail I think these will look amazing. Interest in earlier eras these days (and successes hattons have had with genesis) I would hope translate to good sales. Now which examples of clerestory coaches to tackle first...? 

Sympathies with this viewpoint.  My personal preference would be for some East Coast Joint Stock.  The downside is that there were differing lengths so little commonality in underframes, but long lived and cascaded down to general traffic in their later years.  Suitable for use with the Stirling Single, Ivatt Atlantic and a number of LNER locos.  Several preserved, so maybe suitable for collaboration with Locomotion?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, clerestories, especially Dean non-gangwayed, scale length to proper standards and a decent underframe, let's finally rid ourselves of those awful stubby Triang things with the wrong bogies!!!  And some Dean 4-wheelers so we can rid ourselves of the somewhat dicey Ratio kits (air-braked generics with balloon brake compartments and moulded lamp irons do not cut the 21st century mustard!).

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Can I put in a plea for some early BR period unpainted unfitted wooden-bodied wagons?  Very evocative of the 1950s, and largely of Big Four designs, and not easy to reproduce by repainting models that carry liveries. 

• Like 3

With the VIX and OAA now delivered- what next for post 70s modellers?  The OAA chassis must open up other alternatives such as FPA (please please). Very pleased with both models in my fleet and hoping some other gaps can be closed….

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Talking of Met locos, for some years I had intended to build the SEFinecast E Class, then low and behold Rapido announced it.  I have L44 on order with the intention of converting to P4 and will be very interested to see how Rapido has designed the chassis - 0-4-4 and 4-4-0 chassis can be tricky.

SEFinecast also has kits for the F Class (on order) and K Class.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

When it comes to Metropolitan locomotives the obvious one has got to be the A class. Those few that remained after electrification acquired cabs in later life and lasted into the post war years. As well as those sold off* the Metropolitan District Railway operated almost identical locomotives. *Many of those sold off were rebuilt by their new owners, at least one became a tender engine.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

When it comes to Metropolitan locomotives the obvious one has got to be the A class. Those few that remained after electrification acquired cabs in later life and lasted into the post war years. As well as those sold off* the Metropolitan District Railway operated almost identical locomotives. *Many of those sold off were rebuilt by their new owners, at least one became a tender engine.

Of the Met Class As only one survived post-war - No 23/L45, withdrawn 1948 now in the LT/TFL Museum.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I suppose an A Class makes as much sense as Met No1, both being preserved and on public display!

There are more variations, ie with or without condensing pipes, with or without enclosed cab, dome type and location, operating company, etc.  But Rapido could just do No23 in museum (1903) condition and L45 in LT livery with enclosed cab.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, RogerTE said:

How about the Metropolitan G class / LNER M2 class 0-6-4T locos

or the better-looking, but more complex, Metropolitan H class / LNER H2 class 4-4-4T that was based on the G class  loco.

s-l1600.jpg

An H class would be super smart tbh. Though i cant see it happening myself

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

I suppose an A Class makes as much sense as Met No1, both being preserved and on public display!

There are more variations, ie with or without condensing pipes, with or without enclosed cab, dome type and location, operating company, etc.  But Rapido could just do No23 in museum (1903) condition and L45 in LT livery with enclosed cab.

If you class a sorry pile of parts (in the case of Met No.1) as being on public display 🤔

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, burgundy said:

An interesting Hamilton Ellis picture, which I do not recall having seen previously.

He had obviously visited Norfolk in the Summer!

Best wishes 

Eric 

Indeed!

I confess, all this talk of Met Class As just prompted thoughts of a different class A entirely!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Roy L S said:

If you class a sorry pile of parts (in the case of Met No.1) as being on public display 🤔

I'm sure the owners would be somewhat unsettled to hear it described as such.  I've no idea where it is or what condition it is in but it has had several public appearances in steam on LT metals.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

If you do want a Met Class A you have two options:-

Find a K's Milestones/IKB white metal kit, or

www.shapeways.com/product/DYGU9ZJSG/metropolitan-railway-a-class?optionId=43845300&li=shops

Plus www.shapeways.com/product/T5CYYRTRM/a-class-rods-and-crossheads?optionId=43461282&li=shops

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I would LOVE RTR models of the Met/District A Class! But I had a conversation with a friend who works in the industry, and they think it very unlikely due to the sheer amount of detail differences between them. The Met ones alone changed over time, let alone adding the District ones into the mix. Plus considering how many other companies used them, it would be a nightmare in tooling terms.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

20 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

But Rapido could just do No23 in museum (1903) condition and L45 in LT livery with enclosed cab.

And perhaps in Met livery (with cab) as running on the Brill branch and for other duties.

17 minutes ago, Jeff Smith said:

If you do want a Met Class A you have two options:-

Find a K's Milestones/IKB white metal kit, or

www.shapeways.com/product/DYGU9ZJSG/metropolitan-railway-a-class?optionId=43845300&li=shops

Plus www.shapeways.com/product/T5CYYRTRM/a-class-rods-and-crossheads?optionId=43461282&li=shops

There is also a Shapeways District Railways Class A without cab.

At the end of the day you either wait/hope that someone will produce just the version of the loco you want or you build/convert to get the one you want.......

• Like 2