Have your say with Rapido

rapidoandy

One of the manufacturers really has to bite the bullet and produce a full range of "generic" short (ish) bogie coaches suitable for the (approx) 1900 to 1920+ period.

I know that the newish manufacturers concentrate on accuracy, but someone has to do them and the different liveries will take skill.

Edited by phil gollin
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, phil gollin said:

One of the manufacturers really has to bite the bullet and produce a full range of "generic" short(ish) bogie coaches suitable for the (approx) 1900 to 1920+ period.

I know that the newish manufacturers concentrate on accuracy, but someone has to do them and the different liveries will take skill.

The problem is that everyone want a 'generic' range of coaches, that happens to be a precisely accurate model of the particular coach they need!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

45 minutes ago, Vistisen said:

The problem is that everyone want a 'generic' range of coaches, that happens to be a precisely accurate model of the particular coach they need!

NO.

I, at least, understand what the word "generic" means.

It is the livery that matters.

Edited by phil gollin
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

NO.

I, at least, understand what the word "generic" means.

It is the livery that matters.

I would be interested to hear how the existing 'generic' coaches have sold - not via heresay, but from someone who has had a financial interest in selling them.

I am aware that there is a sector of the market that isn't too fussed about accuracy, and just wants coaches to match the livery of locos.

What I'm not certain of is how large, or otherwise, that sector really is.

CJI.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, Vistisen said:

So why can't we have a 'generic' range of coaches that happens to be precisely accurate for the railway that some lucky modellers would like - rather than a totally new invention !!?!  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I would be interested to hear how the existing 'generic' coaches have sold - not via heresay, but from someone who has had a financial interest in selling them.

I am aware that there is a sector of the market that isn't too fussed about accuracy, and just wants coaches to match the livery of locos.

What I'm not certain of is how large, or otherwise, that sector really is.

CJI.

Most of the Hatton's generic coaches sold out on pre-order but the Hornby ones didn't do so well judging by the numbers discounted by many outlets. This could be put down to several factors such as Hornby's 'bandwagon jumping' such as with the Titfield Thunderbolt. When Hatton's announced their generic coaches Hornby had some Victorian/Edwardian coaches in the pipeline and decided to produce them in several liveries as generic coaches though they were based on a specific railway.

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Most of the Hatton's generic coaches sold out on pre-order but the Hornby ones didn't do so well judging by the numbers discounted by many outlets. This could be put down to several factors such as Hornby's 'bandwagon jumping' such as with the Titfield Thunderbolt. When Hatton's announced their generic coaches Hornby had some Victorian/Edwardian coaches in the pipeline and decided to produce them in several liveries as generic coaches thought they were based on a specific railway.

They’re are a few things here . Firstly Hattons announced first and were taking orders before Hornby jumped in . While Hornby had theirs out first , many people would have already ordered from Hattons 

Secondly the quality of the Hattons coaches are superb , and they really do stand apart from the Hornby ones . I have the LMS 4 rake and they really are beautifully assembled and decorated .

Third there is the value for money . I can’t remember the pricing of each item now but I don’t think Hornby were that  much cheaper , if at all .  What you get with the Hattons models in terms of quality, paint finish , lighting is superb value for money 

Will this translate to bogie coaches , possibly but I’m not sure ? You’d be up against some actual models like GWR top lights , which appear to be going down really well . Also at the super cheepo end of the market ( where I usually exist) there are the old , but still available through eBay , Farish OO coaches in both corridor and non corridor formats . These are nicely decorated models that possibly were the original and forgotten generic  bogie coaches - as opposed to Mk1s in the colours of the big 4 . I suppose it depends on features and value for money . 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Wickham Green too said:

So why can't we have a 'generic' range of coaches that happens to be precisely accurate for the railway that some lucky modellers would like - rather than a totally new invention !!?!  

Quite simply sales. All model companies before setting out to produce a model have to choose a prototype that has to sell in sufficient numbers to cover tooling and manufacturing costs and deliver a profit without being so expensive that it won't sell. 

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Legend said:

They’re are a few things here . Firstly Hattons announced first and were taking orders before Hornby jumped in . While Hornby had theirs out first , many people would have already ordered from Hattons 

Secondly the quality of the Hattons coaches are superb , and they really do stand apart from the Hornby ones . I have the LMS 4 rake and they really are beautifully assembled and decorated .

Third there is the value for money . I can’t remember the pricing of each item now but I don’t think Hornby were that  much cheaper , if at all .  What you get with the Hattons models in terms of quality, paint finish , lighting is superb value for money 

Will this translate to bogie coaches , possibly but I’m not sure ? You’d be up against some actual models like GWR top lights , which appear to be going down really well . Also at the super cheepo end of the market ( where I usually exist) there are the old , but still available through eBay , Farish OO coaches in both corridor and non corridor formats . These are nicely decorated models that possibly were the original and forgotten generic  bogie coaches - as opposed to Mk1s in the colours of the big 4 . I suppose it depends on features and value for money . 

Hornby are still cataloguing what was the old Triang clerestory coaches which with a *bogie swap can be made to represent many company coaches. *As originally made they had BR Mk. 1 bogies.

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Hornby are still cataloguing what was the old Triang clerestory coaches which with a *bogie swap can be made to represent many company coaches. *As originally made they had BR Mk. 1 bogies.

Good point . I always think of them as GWR celestories , as I’m old enough to remember them described as that in the catalogue , I think to go with the Lord of the Isles . But I had forgotten they’ve appeared as LNER , Midland and even Railway Children liveries . The later GWR celestories  have been available in Midland livery too 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

... allegedly.

There's no allegedly, the Hornby 4 wheel carriages are based on LBSC Stroudley couaches, and 6 wheelers are based on LBSC Billingtons, odd choices for generic coaches, but that's only if you think they were always planned to be generic

Gary

• Agree 3

For those who saw our earlier post:

It's no joke, we’ve been plotting to make a 31. 

We are expanding the ‘Caledonia’ 0-4-0 Fireless range, with a G. Fawkes ‘What If’ Livery No. 31, the perfect loco to complement our previously launched Not-Quite-Mink.

Pre-order yours now, and remember, no smoking while on board! 
https://rapidotrains.co.uk/caledonia-fireless-0-4-0/

IMG_1251.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rapidoandy said:

For those who saw our earlier post:

It's no joke, we’ve been plotting to make a 31. 

We are expanding the ‘Caledonia’ 0-4-0 Fireless range, with a G. Fawkes ‘What If’ Livery No. 31, the perfect loco to complement our previously launched Not-Quite-Mink.

Pre-order yours now, and remember, no smoking while on board! 
https://rapidotrains.co.uk/caledonia-fireless-0-4-0/

IMG_1251.jpeg

It will be in the shops by November 5th.

Here's a couple of suggestions for N Gauge. Resurrect the ex-Hattons Garratt that was open to pre-orders & then canned. GT3, an unusual loco with no outside valve gear; KR Models didn't go ahead with their proposed N Gauge version.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

LBSCR coaches - six wheelers / Billinton bogie coaches

Not sure if this has already been covered, but it would be great if you'd consider doing some LBSCR coaches. Granted, the E1 was predominantly a goods engine, but it seems a natural step after the E1, the recently announced LBSCR wagons and the wider range of SECR products you are doing. The calibre of your GWR 'B' sets also shows what could be possible with such lovely coaches.

Not withstanding the clear demand that is present amongst LBSCR / SR enthusiasts (and the growing demand for Era 1 & 2, in general, à la Hattons Genesis coaches) there is also a gap in the RTR market for these i.e. Hornby's Maunsells & rebuilds, EFE's LSWR Cross Country sets, and Bachmann's SECR Birdcages.

Without getting bogged down into too much detail as it can get quite messy, maybe some six-wheel sets that were taken through into SR stock? Or indeed some Billinton bogie coaches, particularly the Type A or B 3-coach rover sets? These were widespread across the Central section, and after removal of lookouts would also be found on the SECR, working in tandem with the birdcage stock. Some sets of course would also be found on the urban SW section as well as local/branch lines in Devon. So they're very much an all-rounder for general SR modellers as well as those wedded purely to Brighton.

Edited by Olive_Green1923
Added a headline to make the recommendation more obvious
  • Like 3

LBSCR bogie coaches in lined Marsh umber would be a dream come true. I'd even settle for the older umber and white livery, despite it being much shorter-lived.

• Like 3