Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Have your say with Rapido

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold
On 18/08/2023 at 15:56, The Johnster said:

I'm a big fan of Baccy's 16ton minerals, the only RTR iteration of these wagons with the correct size wheelbase, well detailed (not quite up to current standards with the underside), well finished, and a good variety of liveries, numbers, and body variations; only the 'French' cupboard door version is missing.  My 7-plankers are a mix of Baccy and Oxford.  Luckily I managed to buy mine before prices reached their current levels. 

A Rapido or Accurascale 16ton mineral would have to be be both better and cheaper than Bachmann's.  Not impossible, as there is detail to add on the underframe and possibly seperate fit doors that could be posed in open position, and a CAD tooling might bring production costs down into the competitive area.  Perhaps not the most likely way for either of these firms to go, though; AC have made good headway with longer wheelbase minerals and hoppers, and, realistically, there's probably not much profit in minerals now for Rapido.

And… job done, tx AS

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just floating an idea, since Rap have gone into the small prairie game, perhaps a current standards full-fat A30 auto trailer to run with an auto fitted post-1953 4575 might be a flyer…. Not difficult to improve on the Hornby RR ex-Airfix!

Or, as they were originally intended to run with auto-fitted 4575s, A43/44 ‘cyclops’ compartment trailers, which could easily be produced as C66 and D117s as well. 

I’ll be suggesting a later 64xx that could be produced as a 74xx next, or, heaven forfend, a 48/58/14xx that works…

• Like 2

On 03/09/2023 at 18:37, The Johnster said:

Just floating an idea, since Rap have gone into the small prairie game, perhaps a current standards full-fat A30 auto trailer to run with an auto fitted post-1953 4575 might be a flyer…. Not difficult to improve on the Hornby RR ex-Airfix!

Or, as they were originally intended to run with auto-fitted 4575s, A43/44 ‘cyclops’ compartment trailers, which could easily be produced as C66 and D117s as well. 

I’ll be suggesting a later 64xx that could be produced as a 74xx next, or, heaven forfend, a 48/58/14xx that works…

Have a couple of Bachmann 64xx in the round tuit pile, one to become a 74xx,  so not personally in need of a 74xx.  But would consider my options if one were announced. A30, A43 and A44 however - yes pleases.

Rapido please also chuck in E157 and E167 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Covkid said:

Have a couple of Bachmann 64xx in the round tuit pile, one to become a 74xx,  so not personally in need of a 74xx.  But would consider my options if one were announced. A30, A43 and A44 however - yes pleases.

Rapido please also chuck in E157 and E167 

You are clearly not put off by the differences between the early and late batches of 64xx, then; a proper modeller!  Baccy do the early 64xx, derived from the 54xx, which has the earlier type of Collett full cab, from the 48/58xx, a lip to the front edge of the roof and a radius between the cab rear and bunker sideplate.  Later 64xx, can't remember the exact change number but late 20s I think, had cabs more like 8750s, with no lip to the roof and a squared off junction between the cab rear and bunker side, and this was continued with the 74xx, which is basically a 64xx without the auto gear (and with the following Hawksworth panniers).  Conversion of the Baccy 64xx to later 64xx or 74xx configuration needs the roof lip to be filed off and the radiussed join between cabside and rear to be squared off, and the beading restored.  Don't forget that all GW locos are the same, except for when they are all different...

There is a clear evolutionary progression in pannier cab styles, from half-cab (saddle tank rebuids) to full roof/rear spectacle plate (some saddle tank rebuilds and 57xx), to '48xx' style (as I'll describe it here for the sake of clarity), to '8750' style, also used on 16xx, to the Hawksworth type used on 94xx and 15xx, which had a different profile and different front windows.

Later 64xx and 74xx have never been available as RTR models, and as such must be considered low hanging fruit by current standards.  My first 64xx was a Westward kit which could be assembled as a 54xx, both types of 64xx, or 74xx and contained alternative parts to do so.  This needed different cab roofs, sides, and splashers for the 54xx.  The top feed and plumbing were optional.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

You are clearly not put off by the differences between the early and late batches of 64xx, then; a proper modeller!  Baccy do the early 64xx, derived from the 54xx, which has the earlier type of Collett full cab, from the 48/58xx, a lip to the front edge of the roof and a radius between the cab rear and bunker sideplate.  Later 64xx, can't remember the exact change number but late 20s I think, had cabs more like 8750s, with no lip to the roof and a squared off junction between the cab rear and bunker side, and this was continued with the 74xx, which is basically a 64xx without the auto gear (and with the following Hawksworth panniers).  Conversion of the Baccy 64xx to later 64xx or 74xx configuration needs the roof lip to be filed off and the radiussed join between cabside and rear to be squared off, and the beading restored.  Don't forget that all GW locos are the same, except for when they are all different...

As I mentioned somewhere recently, my toolboxes contain plenty of needle files and other abrasives , and I intend to follow the Tom Foster method of conversion into a 74xx. Ironically, one of my Stourbridge based 74xx was an ex Croes Newydd / Bala loco. 

• Like 1

Models I'd love to see you produce

Considering you already have a J70 with model rail , and the bogie coaches on the way..... and you announced the skirted 04 will be part of the 04 project....

Can we just add the g15/y6 tram and the 4 wheeled coaches from the wisbech and upwell  ?

Bonus points for the luggage van and brake coach ;) 

Love you guys. ! 

20230905_162259.jpg

• Round of applause 2

Since they're doing a Small Prairie and a B-Set, 14xx and Auto-Trailer (perhaps they could do the above mentioned diagram - differentiate from Dapol and the Bachmann ones and provide more variety in Autocoaches). 

Also, random thought - a slip coach! With a DCC fitted variety that can be triggered to slip when function 1 is pressed or something. I honestly dunno why Hornby or someone hasn't done that yet - probably good reasons. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, The Outcast said:

14xx and Auto-Trailer (perhaps they could do the above mentioned diagram - differentiate from Dapol and the Bachmann ones and provide more variety in Autocoaches). 

A consistently reliable 48xx/58xx/14xx mech has so far eluded the RTR boys, and the only game in town at the moment is the latest Hornby tooling, another new chassis.  This is tbh not really up to mustard, as the Airfix origins of it's body tooling preclude cab detail, and the mech seems to be adequate rather than good.  The DJ/Hattons model was inconsistent, perhaps overdesigned, and I really felt for Captain Kernow and the saga he had with them, and the original Airfix was a really good and reliable slow runner, particularly if you junked the traction tyres and replaced the groovy wheelset, until, that is, the plunger pickups packed up or the drive shaft failed, at which point the loco was beyond salvaging. 

Auto trailers are a field of rich pickings.  I would suggest the A43/A44 'Cyclops' compartment trailers because a) they 'go with' the 4575 (both produced for the South Wales Autumn 1953 'regular interval' timetable), b) they can be produced as the unrebuilt D117 and C66 as well, and, most importantly, c) I want them.  Other possibilities include the very attractive Clifton Downs compartment trailers,  the 70' saloon gangwayed twin-sets for the Plymouth suburban services (the 'interemediate' coaches of these had tiny driving compartments shoehorned in beside the gangways), early saloons with no vestibule entered through the driver's door, and matchboarded saloons.  There were clerestory trailers, and the various Cardiff Rly and TVR sets acquired at the grouping. 

The largest single class of trailers were the A26, 70 footer saloons rebuilt from Steam Railmotors.  SRMs were often produced with matching trailers, joining the trailer fleet when they were rebuilt during the 20s and 30s.  Some types, including these, had their toplight ventilators plated over in BR days, presenting a very different appearance.  Many had several different bogie types; for example the A31, another SRM rebuild once produced by Keyser as a whitemetal kit, appeared with it's original fishbellies, 'Americans', and Collett 7'.

Plenty to choose from, but personally if I can't have an RTR Cyclops, I'd be more than happy with a retooled A30.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, gpplumy said:

Models I'd love to see you produce

Considering you already have a J70 with model rail , and the bogie coaches on the way..... and you announced the skirted 04 will be part of the 04 project....

Can we just add the g15/y6 tram and the 4 wheeled coaches from the wisbech and upwell  ?

Bonus points for the luggage van and brake coach ;) 

Love you guys. ! 

20230905_162259.jpg

The 04 is not corrently going ahead. Hopefully on hold rather than scrapped. 

I can't see a Y6 being commercially viable nor the 4whl coaches. The bogie coaches at least have the Titfield factor to broaden their appeal. 

Hattons are nodding towards the brake coach with their release later in the year. 

The J70s saw more use outside of the W&U on various docks with the associated street running. They even popped up at the Wissington system but weren't a success as they kept falling off the track. 

So a completely off the shelf W&U is sadly very unlikely. 

All we can do is make do with what we have. 

Rob. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

... build some kits !!?! 🙄

If you're that worried, yes. I have a D&S Sundries Van to knock together at some point as I quite like that sort of thing. The issue with the D&S kits of all the early items of rolling stock is simply the cost that these kits now fetch. 

BUT.....such a discussion is outside the scope of this thread which is about potential RTR items. 

Rob. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Would Rapido consider the London A60 Underground trains? There are several *livery variations as well as pre and post refurbishment. *When used on the East London line different units were painted in experimental liveries.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

image.png.df87f6d57cdffe5e71a97d91fd5f9d04.png

Photo C/ Ben Brooksbank.

Following the beautiful 16XX  and 15XX, I believe this handsome piece of nightmare Plumbing needs a chance of fame.

There are too many 'cute' Panniers tootling around pretty diorama layouts, covered in froth from RMW contributors. Let's have a beast for the Suburbs please.

I thank you,

Con Densing.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
On 10/09/2023 at 00:09, PhilJ W said:

Would Rapido consider the London A60 Underground trains? There are several *livery variations as well as pre and post refurbishment. *When used on the East London line different units were painted in experimental liveries.

image.png.c095e98575db53522006cba323f67025.pngimage.png.c99440179f9ba5ae9427e75326d839bd.pngimage.png.d182ef49fad103b6a87166005449090a.pngimage.png.bc60c35e7f67afa169dc63090d917a49.png

Top left, refurbished final (Corporate) livery. Top right, unrefurbished.

Bottom left, interior. Bottom right, one of the experimental liveries.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Has anybody suggested the Met Dreadnought coaches? A suitable accompaniment to the Met 0-4-4T, with plenty of preservation era liveries as a bonus.

Also, as a follow on to the Jones Goods, the three other Scottish preserved main line engines of the late 50s/early 60s: a D34, a D40, and a Caledonian Single to modern standards.

And perhaps a crane tank. The Hawthorn Leslie/RSH design as used at Doxford Shipyard and by the New South Wales Government Railway might be worthwhile, if only because it is the class best represented in preservation with four surviving in the UK and another five in Australia.

Edited by papagolfjuliet
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/06/2023 at 20:40, peterfgf said:

I think Rapido only have to look at the models released by Hornby in the early 1960s (and Tri-ang).  As far as I can ascertain, all the Hornby models have been released in one form or another, except for:

• Prestwin (1 out of 10 to Bachmann for even considering it but negative points for dropping it).
  • Bogie blue ICI Caustic tank (not many in real life but I would love a model).
  • Bogie brick wagon "empty to Fletton?".
  • and last, but not least, a Conflat L with three lime containers (well done to Tri-ang).  I want a few for my Derbyshire-based layout.`

I think marketing savvy will realise that all the Hornby/Tri-ang models have been released and have sold well, and that there are a few people of a certain age will grab these models.

Here's hoping!

Peterfgf

Also:

• LSWR C14 0-4-0T (basis of the 'Nellie') 
  • SECR S Class 0-6-0ST
  • Dean Single
  • Caledonian Single
  • NBL diesel shunter

Also, a model produced in the 50s by Trackmaster/Tri-ang and from the 80s on by Airfix/Mainline/Dapol/Hornby but not as yet to anything like modern standards: the N2. That one surely must be low hanging fruit.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, papagolfjuliet said:

Also:

• LSWR C14 0-4-0T (basis of the 'Nellie') 
  • SECR S Class 0-6-0ST
  • Dean Single
  • Caledonian Single
  • NBL diesel shunter

Also, a model produced in the 50s by Trackmaster/Tri-ang and from the 80s on by Airfix/Mainline/Dapol/Hornby but not as yet to anything like modern standards: the N2. That one surely must be low hanging fruit.

Not as Low Hanging as a Hawksworth County! Sorry.

P

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1