Sutton's Locomotive Works *NEW* Class 25

Nick G

8 hours ago, Paul_sterling said:

I was unable to convince myself to buy a Heljan 25,  because of the cab shape. I admit I've never seen the Heljan one in the flesh, but the pics put me right off. Once SLW announced theirs, and the shape looked just right in the pics, I was happy to order from SLW. 

Thanks

Paul. 

I'm not buying the SLW one even though it is now the definitive version of a 25 (to me). I simply don't need any more 25s. I have a few Bachmann ones, plus a Hornby one on a Bachmann chassis. Like you and 97406, the cab roof curve on the Bachmann ones was a bit off-putting, but the great mechanisms were the selling point for me, a quantum leap forward from Hornby's mechanisms at the time. Likewise, the Heljan ones look good, but something is not quite right with the cab fronts, and with the SLW models on the way, that gets my vote (but not my money at present, unless someone is silly enough to offer me a decent sum for my existing Bachmann models). 

I can vouch for the excellence of the SLW 24s as I have two of those. The 25 looks at least the equal of those.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Paul_sterling said:

I was unable to convince myself to buy a Heljan 25,  because of the cab shape. I admit I've never seen the Heljan one in the flesh, but the pics put me right off. Once SLW announced theirs, and the shape looked just right in the pics, I was happy to order from SLW. 

Thanks

Paul. 

The Heljan one isn’t all that bad and but for the SLW one and the retooled Bachmann one under development, it would be the best 25 available. There are a couple of small errors around the cabs, but it is far better than the old Bachmann model. I’ll be keeping mine, though I won’t be getting any more as the SLW and new Bachmann 25s are the best yet with SLW in the lead of course.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

SLW took payment for 25 324 today, so i'm expecting it early next week.............Happy Day's

Hopefully mine is on its way too paid for mine ages ago .I wonder how soon the other Loco’s are behind this one ?So looking forward to these mighty Rats!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Oh bu**er. I thought this might happen. After Christmas my finances are very tight, and I don't have enough money to cover the payment right now. I presume the card used will 'bounce' and hopefully I'll be contacted and will be able to plead my case for a delay 😟

• Friendly/supportive 5

19 hours ago, Ian J. said:

Oh bu**er. I thought this might happen. After Christmas my finances are very tight, and I don't have enough money to cover the payment right now. I presume the card used will 'bounce' and hopefully I'll be contacted and will be able to plead my case for a delay 😟

Hopefully the first batch are at the packing & dispatch stage according to previous posts....Only one snag for me. Where i live the area is flooded so the agony goes on.

Edited by Suzy Sulzer
typo
  • Friendly/supportive 8

On 05/01/2024 at 20:53, Brian Hawkins said:

SLW took payment for 25 324 today, so i'm expecting it early next week.............Happy Day's 🙂

Fantastic, hopefully more of us will start hearing from them this week. 324 was one of those I ordered as well. 

Thanks

Paul. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Suzy Sulzer said:

Yes the first batch of D7599 & 25324 are being packed for dispatch. As i found when i enquired 09-01-2024.

This is good news indeed as my finger hovered over the Heljan 25 that was down to £148 in the Hattons clearout but stepped back knowing I have better on pre order 😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zr2498 said:

If D7599 is being packed, then surely I should have had a payment request by now? Not wholly confident!

They will probably have many hundreds of people to ring , myself included so we're probably at the end of a very long queue 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Albie the plumber said:

They will probably have many hundreds of people to ring , myself included so we're probably at the end of a very long queue 

Indeed I too am in the expectant crowd and was hoping payment would have been taken by now but a phone call is just going to waste more of the time of their very small team at SLW

• Agree 5

2 hours ago, zr2498 said:

If D7599 is being packed, then surely I should have had a payment request by now? Not wholly confident!

I ordered the same loco and, like you, I haven't had the payment taken.  That was the reason I made a call yesterday to confirm that my order was still live with them and they confirmed that they were yet to take the payment but would be doing so in due course.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, zr2498 said:

I didn’t wait for a request, just phoned them up and paid about 8 weeks ago when I heard they were due after Christmas.  I know it’s a small team so thought I’d make sure I was all paid up nice and early.

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

I didn’t wait for a request, just phoned them up and paid about 8 weeks ago when I heard they were due after Christmas.  I know it’s a small team so thought I’d make sure I was all paid up nice and early.

I also rang and updated my card before Christmas.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Due to the length of time between these being announced and arriving (which to be fair they felt their hand was forced by a competitor in this regard as they prefer a much tighter turnaround so no comment on that), I'd expect the vast majority of people who have ordered will be with an expired card by now so this is just part of the process for this batch.

I presume that the others will be coming over the next few months and as I only have the Ethel on order I don't expect to hear anything until around Easter at the earliest.

• RMweb Gold

Spoke with Jamie today following an email conversation about change of address, she reported they are preparing to send the models out and they shouldn’t be long. My impression was none sent out yet.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Daddyman said:

Is this something that SLW have said? 

I don't believe so and certainly not directly on here.

I'm going off the fact these things always take much longer than anticipated even with the best will in the world. Also that these aren't on the first batch and statistically nor the second (assuming similar sized batches). With a small team and several SKU's to work through, each with probably more than 500 in each it will take a while for each to be shipped out i.e. a week or two in all likelihood once chasing payment is taken into account. Easter is just the end of March / start of April so only about 10 weeks or so away.

I like to be conservative in my product estimations and I'm rarely conservative enough in reality!

• Thanks 1