RMweb

Sutton's Locomotive Works *NEW* Class 25

Nick G

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mark Forrest said:

I agree about the communication niggle.  IMHO worse than not knowing when a future release will arrive is being given a date and having that date pass (twice) without further explanation of why.

This is my experience too. Except ive had 3 estimates of delivery times when ive contacted them and none have transpired.
I appreciate they have been overwhelmed, but a quick update email now and then to say what order numbers they are upto surely isnt expecting too much.
I paid for my Blue 25 in full last November, but with a combination of a change in layout plans and my patience running out this has led me to email them to cancel my order and request a full refund.

I only need one 25 and I prefer the earlier blue version of which i have one on order.

Ive 4 class 24s but ill be selling some due to my change in plans, they are without doubt the best quality.

Im sure lessons will have been learnt and will make it a better experience next time around for all concerned.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Garry D100 said:

Except ive had 3 estimates of delivery times when ive contacted them and none have transpired.
I appreciate they have been overwhelmed, but a quick update email now and then to say what order numbers they are upto surely isnt expecting too much.

Says it all… 

Roy

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Seen today:

53625355409_0f3932b60d_c.jpg

A preserved one, 25278. Albeit I dont think its been blue in preservation.

it looks like Blue has beaten Green by a long way in terms of demand…. Shifting demographics perhaps ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I think it must be quite difficult for them maybe a quick post on this forum might help as to the latest delivery update? I am sure they will be well worth the wait. Not sure if there was an update at York?

Best,

Chris

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, PJ10 said:

There is a lot to like about SLW. The fidelity and quality of the models is in my opinion second to none and when I have had to contact them to amend or add to my orders, they have been a pleasure to deal with. Unless something completely untoward happens, I have absolutely no plans to change my orders further or jump ship to another supplier. Unless new models are announced of course when my current orders are likely to increase.

The one area that niggles me however is communication and perhaps more relevantly communication on expected delivery dates. I am certainly not asking for nor expecting the level of engagement that we have seen from some other suppliers and I accept that recent and current world events mean that any information given will be subject to change but honestly how difficult would it be for an indicative date (Quarter, half year, year even) to be provided and amended as and when necessary in place of the “Future Release” text already included for each model on their website. Simply something to help people make plans and to help manage expectations.

I look forward to getting my locos and yes they will arrive when they arrive but a little extra information would certainly be good.

PJ10

9 hours ago, Mark Forrest said:

I agree about the communication niggle.  IMHO worse than not knowing when a future release will arrive is being given a date and having that date pass (twice) without further explanation of why.

I'm looking forward to getting my loco (and have no doubt it will be excellent), but will think very carefully about ordering another from SLW, especially if other manufacturers raise their game and offer a reasonable alternative.

Interesting to read the comments in this thread and I really do wish Phil every success with his Sulzers.  But... I think Phil needs to come out from his cottage industry frontage and accept that he has a pretty serious retail operation on the go, and needs to respect the customers who are buying from SLW.  The BR/Sulzer type 2s is reproduced authentically will undoubtedly sell to discerning modellers and collectors and Phil knows that.  Unfortunately, those sales are mostly to people who want to see the products they have invested in produced to a reasonable timescale. 

So where are the class 25 models ? Are they still in a container on a ship, or are they at a warehouse with the boxes being emptied for packing ?  I wonder if Phil and Jamie are actually fully employed in their day jobs, and SLW is a sideshow ? If that is the case and they only have a limited amount of time to dedicate to the SLW business, then maybe take on some additional temporary labour, or seeks some industry help. There is nothing to be gained by claiming their products are the best / most authentic etc, along with all the sold out signs in the display cases, if the customers are having to sit on their hands and wait the call. 

Phil is a shrewd guy, knows the market.  He knows that the Scottish "car headlight" 24s will be popular, but Bachmann are sweeping the class 24 orders up, partly because us modellers with disposable cash / credit cards will find it difficult to resist, and not so many are loyal to a product these days, being happy to buy the first to the market. I personally feel that Phil has missed a trick, and perhaps shouldn't have taken the stand at York - instead using the weekend to get a lot of packing done and models into the back of parcels and delivery vans pronto. Obviously the stands for the York show and others need to book many many months prior, so maybe whatever the issue is didn't manifest itself at that time, but delaying in getting the product out to customers can damage reputation and repeat orders.  

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Interesting to read the comments in this thread and I really do wish Phil every success with his Sulzers.  But... I think Phil needs to come out from his cottage industry frontage and accept that he has a pretty serious retail operation on the go, and needs to respect the customers who are buying from SLW.  The BR/Sulzer type 2s is reproduced authentically will undoubtedly sell to discerning modellers and collectors and Phil knows that.  Unfortunately, those sales are mostly to people who want to see the products they have invested in produced to a reasonable timescale. 

So where are the class 25 models ? Are they still in a container on a ship, or are they at a warehouse with the boxes being emptied for packing ?  I wonder if Phil and Jamie are actually fully employed in their day jobs, and SLW is a sideshow ? If that is the case and they only have a limited amount of time to dedicate to the SLW business, then maybe take on some additional temporary labour, or seeks some industry help. There is nothing to be gained by claiming their products are the best / most authentic etc, along with all the sold out signs in the display cases, if the customers are having to sit on their hands and wait the call. 

Phil is a shrewd guy, knows the market.  He knows that the Scottish "car headlight" 24s will be popular, but Bachmann are sweeping the class 24 orders up, partly because us modellers with disposable cash / credit cards will find it difficult to resist, and not so many are loyal to a product these days, being happy to buy the first to the market. I personally feel that Phil has missed a trick, and perhaps shouldn't have taken the stand at York - instead using the weekend to get a lot of packing done and models into the back of parcels and delivery vans pronto. Obviously the stands for the York show and others need to book many many months prior, so maybe whatever the issue is didn't manifest itself at that time, but delaying in getting the product out to customers can damage reputation and repeat orders.  

Don’t think the Bachmann theory holds water - good as they are Bachmann 24s have sat on model shop shelves despite some significant discounting wheareas SLW 24’s go for strong money even second hand.  Not sure why anyone expects SLW to change its business processes to meet their expectations, the business model clearly works for the owners and the models will sell out as they are delivered.

Personally I’m not really seeing a problem at all, mine will come when it’s available and I’ll pay for it then. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I think if this was prepaid the argument is valid.

But they are only taking payment when shipped.

So consider the call like a lottery win and be patient.

Shipping is very quick, and it is wrapped so neatly my wife thought it was a box of chocolates.. and thats the brown paper wrapping. she still wasnt convinced it wasn't a gift when seeing the tissue wrapped container inside the metal tin.

The most parcels ive ever sent in a “normal” after hours working day was about 30, it was tiring and none of them were wrapped like that… so 000’s is going to take a while.

Each of these locos is sent with love for sure, and it feels like each one is being quality checked.

Without doubt this is gold standard attention to detail, thats going to take a while… scaling that and keeping the standard won’t be easy.

ive not got around to removing the loco from its plastic display case/ cradle yet, but it looks fantastic.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 11

10 hours ago, GordonC said:

have they both got the same catalogue number #2543A? are they sold as a pair?

May have been in a rush to get that notice printed for the show and not realised 

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, zr2498 said:

This is how to do it SLW.

An update today from Accurascale.

image.png.2c9adc433c21163df93a710de914ec0a.png

Give it a rest, Accurascale is a company with full time staff. SLW is 2 people with full time jobs, doing model railways as a side line. Victims of their own success , certainly. They are honouring the price set years ago. They can only do this by not taking on staff, so cut them some slack   and just be patient like the rest of us.

• Like 4
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

Having waited over 3 months, and would say that I have been patient. I have not telephoned SLW.

I should like to know how long that patience should be reasonably extended.

Depends.  Did you tick the "I'm considerably more important than everybody else" box when you placed your order? 😉

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

To the best of my knowledge SLW test every loco prior to despatch.....this takes time

The sound project is bespoke and custom fitted here in the UK - and tested.

I'm not aware of any "returns". of SLW locos.

I have personal experience of the products of a "prize winning" manufacturer where I have eventually settled for a refund (one loco type) or made significant DCC changes ( a second loco type) which means the product is definitely not "RTR"......

I am happy wait for my SLW locos in the knowledge that once I have them they will be exceptional.

It you don't like the business model.....don't buy the locos...simples

I am very happy to wait for my locos.....

Chris H

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

46 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

I was referring to the excellent communications to customers by Accurascale, not the actual packing and distribution times. As others have voiced on this thread, please SLW be straight with us. It's not a side line. It's a business. Goods are for sale and we are purchasing them (given half the chance). Based on the packing and delivery times thus far, then surely with the remaining batch 1 locos which are remaining to be delivered, then it should be easy to say how long it will take to clear them.

Having waited over 3 months, and would say that I have been patient. I have not telephoned SLW.

I should like to know how long that patience should be reasonably extended.

Why don't you just cancel your order, get your instant fix elsewhere and stop moaning like a petulant child 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

Ditto. No need to be rude.

It’s sort of rude berating a supplier on a public forum whose ‘sin’ in your eyes is not playing the media game but is instead just concentrating on delivering one exemplary product apparently mainly for the love of it.  Sit back, relax, enjoy the hobby. 

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps it's possible that amongst SLW's current and perspective customer base there are a range of different expectations around delivery times and level of communication?

Some are happy to wait as long as it takes; others accept the need to wait but would appreciate more communication around when they might receive delivery and others feel they have waited long enough and are being to lose faith.

None of these points of view are wrong; they are just different.

• Like 4
  • Agree 7

54 minutes ago, Mark Forrest said:

Perhaps it's possible that amongst SLW's current and perspective customer base there are a range of different expectations around delivery times and level of communication?

Some are happy to wait as long as it takes; others accept the need to wait but would appreciate more communication around when they might receive delivery and others feel they have waited long enough and are being to lose faith.

None of these points of view are wrong; they are just different.

Agree with your views but sadly , there doesn't seem to be any room for 'different' on this thread .

Just the usual self righteous claptrap from the usual self righteous suspects .

And that is definitely my last word on this pointless thread which throws up nothing useful whatsoever .

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1