Secrets of the London Underground. Series 2 coming 5th May at 8PM on Yesterday

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Gold

Just finished watching this weeks episode, really enjoying series 2 3. @timdunn yours and Siddy’s enthusiasm for what you’re showing is infectious. I hope there will be a third fourth series.

If you’re looking for ideas I spent some time recently commuting to Wapping (I know it’s an Overground station now), but I was fascinated by how narrow the platforms are, and how one of the murals shows a steam goods train heading into the tunnels - it had never occurred to me that the underground network would have carried anything apart from passengers. I’m assuming it was a fairly common occurrence for someone to produce it as part of the mural. 

Edited by StuAllen
Corrections
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, StuAllen said:

Just finished watching this weeks episode, really enjoying series 2. @timdunn yours and Siddy’s enthusiasm for what you’re showing is infectious. I hope there will be a third series.

I’m pretty sure that the series currently airing on Yesterday is the third series.  

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, StuAllen said:

Just finished watching this weeks episode, really enjoying series 2 3. @timdunn yours and Siddy’s enthusiasm for what you’re showing is infectious. I hope there will be a third fourth series.

If you’re looking for ideas I spent some time recently commuting to Wapping (I know it’s an Overground station now), but I was fascinated by how narrow the platforms are, and how one of the murals shows a steam goods train heading into the tunnels - it had never occurred to me that the underground network would have carried anything apart from passengers. I’m assuming it was a fairly common occurrence for someone to produce it as part of the mural. 

The East London Line was not part of the UndergrounD, when it was originally built, by one of the pre grouping companies, but I can't remember which one. It became part of the Southern at the grouping and BR(S). It utilizes the Brunel pedestrian tunnel under the Thames. There was an article on it in Railway Bylines or the Brill sometime ago, probably more than 10 years, it included at least one subterranean goods depot in the East End.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The line was built by the East London Railway Company, which was under the control of four "main line" railway companies, plus the Metropolitan and District Railways.

Apart from a short period from 1906-1913, at least some of the passenger services were operated by the Metropolitan for most of the line's existence, until the line became part of the Overground network. So in that sense, it had been part of the "Underground" for a very long time, however ownership of the infrastructure was only transferred to LU in the 1990s.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 08/08/2023 at 01:44, timdunn said:

There are a few who don’t like my style or whatever, but I can’t help that too much.

😆 Oh don’t worry far more enjoy the enthusiasm both of you show. I only find frustration as you pull out racks in the archive that I can’t ‘press the red button’ and look through every single one of them just to enjoy all the gems contained in there 😉

Hope those ‘numbers’ keep you delving for a while to come as it’s turning into a fascinating social history as well which may account for the numbers too. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

The line was built by the East London Railway Company, which was under the control of four "main line" railway companies, plus the Metropolitan and District Railways.

Apart from a short period from 1906-1913, at least some of the passenger services were operated by the Metropolitan for most of the line's existence, until the line became part of the Overground network. So in that sense, it had been part of the "Underground" for a very long time, however ownership of the infrastructure was only transferred to LU in the 1990s.

Opened 1869 with the Brighton providing the first services

Although the Met & MetDist railways were part owners of the ELR, they didn't provide trains until after the St Mary's curve was built in 1884

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thames Tunnel v much is in scope for the reasons noted above; just as much as the Brill Tramway was in scope. Was part of the Underground at one point! Although I've walked through it previously on other occasions and have done projects with the Brunel Museum team who of course occupy one of the shafts now, alas filming dates and possible access dates have not as yet matched up. Who knows...

Personally I find the old operating stuff the most interesting, or at least places that the operational network passes through or adjacent. Ruislip, Neasden depots are two I'd love to take the viewers inside (anyone else remember the Ruislip open days of yore?) and the DLR has in its entirety evaded us. 

I'd love to see some of the companies' own-built housing stock, too, if it's in vaguely original condition - but I think most has been modernised hugely since being sold off.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• Moderators
On 08/08/2023 at 01:44, timdunn said:

Seems to be hitting the numbers too, which I always have one eye on.

I don't know if the channel give you any data on demographics Tim but Mrs Y enjoys it as much as I do. This is a rarity but she's happy to watch Portillo too - at least she doesn't complain about your dress sense.

When's Siddy going to open a niche version of Tiles'r'us?

• Like 12

Thankfully the other member of this household enjoys both @timdunn shows and the Portillo show. He only shares dress sense with one of the presenters though (the same moquette scarf was a gift to him a few years ago).

The shows really are great to watch and the enthusiasm is infectious.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've enjoyed seeing the workings of Acton depot on the current series - possibly more interesting than yet another ventilation shaft (however nice the tiles!). A visit to the PWay sidings at Ruislip would show something we've not seen before. It'd also give you a chance to have a look around the battery electric loco parked in the depot museum.

Steven B

Edited by Steven B
  • Like 6
  • Agree 3

On 13/09/2023 at 12:57, Steven B said:

I've enjoyed seeing the workings of Acton depot on the current series - possibly more interesting than yet another ventilation shaft (however nice the tiles!). A visit to the PWay sidings at Ruislip would show something we've not seen before. It'd also give you a chance to have a look around the battery electric loco parked in the depot museum.

Steven B

Thanks Steven! Ruislip has been on my list for ages; it just takes time to get us in to the right places with the right people - and of course the sidings are live tracks, and we can't interfere with the operational environment. But there may be ways and means. If there is a series 4 it will be on our "wants"! (Maybe Sarah Siddons will have come home by then too... and then there's the special inspection saloon too...)

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 02/09/2023 at 13:19, timdunn said:

I'd love to see some of the companies' own-built housing stock, too, if it's in vaguely original condition - but I think most has been modernised hugely since being sold off.

If you’re not aware of it this book may be of interest. Semi-Detached London, last published by Wild Swan
https://britishrailwaybooks.co.uk/books/ISBN/1874103011.php

It doesn’t deal with railway company housing specifically, but does cover the growth and development of suburbia and impact of transport and planning. Whilst it might sound a bit dry and niche, it’s actually a very readable and beautifully produced book.

• Informative/Useful 2

On 02/09/2023 at 13:33, Captain Kernow said:

'Secrets' is also one of the few railway programmes that CTMK (Captain The Mrs Kernow) will also watch with me. She is not, however, that keen on Portillo, so I normally have to watch him on my own!

Surely CTMK should be rated First Mate, or is she really in charge? As to Portillo, they should put him on Strictly Come Dancing as the comedy turn.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 02/09/2023 at 13:31, AY Mod said:

I don't know if the channel give you any data on demographics Tim but Mrs Y enjoys it as much as I do. This is a rarity but she's happy to watch Portillo too - at least she doesn't complain about your dress sense.

When's Siddy going to open a niche version of Tiles'r'us?

Mrs Pint (or rather half of Wild Wave cider) also enjoys watching railway programmes, although the now ubiquitous Bill Nighy commentaries are considered very shallow and uninformative. Certainly on a recent visit to London we both paid much more attention to our surroundings whilst on the Underground, although she sat drinking coffee whilst I toured the Museum at Covent Garden.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Pint of Adnams said:

Surely CTMK should be rated First Mate, or is she really in charge?

CTMK is rated also rated as a Captain because she cannot be a higher rank than me and I cannot be a higher rank than her...

Simple as that!

I'm currently re-watching the earlier series of 'Secrets' a bit at a time, having them set more or less to 'permanent record' at the moment. A most agreeable way to spend a few minutes each day eating breakfast, when the news programmes are either too dull or harrowing or downright  inane to watch...

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Pint of Adnams said:

the now ubiquitous Bill Nighy commentaries are considered very shallow and uninformative.

I can't blame him for it, he's just fed a script from researchers and producers; he may not even be seeing the edited video whilst doing so.

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I can't blame him for it, he's just fed a script from researchers and producers; he may not even be seeing the edited video whilst doing so.

I think you can be sure of that, as names of places etc are often pronounced differently by him and the people on camera. 

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

If you haven't done so already check out the excellent new and first TfL official Podcast "Mind the gap" presented by, yes of course, @timdunn available from wherever you get your podcasts, the first three episodes are available now and well worth a listen. 
https://link.chtbl.com/TfLMindTheGap

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
On 15/09/2023 at 13:39, timdunn said:

Thanks Steven! Ruislip has been on my list for ages; it just takes time to get us in to the right places with the right people - and of course the sidings are live tracks, and we can't interfere with the operational environment. But there may be ways and means. If there is a series 4 it will be on our "wants"! (Maybe Sarah Siddons will have come home by then too... and then there's the special inspection saloon too...)

I've not contributed to this thread before; thoroughly enjoying S3 as much as previous ones so congratulations to all involved.  Of course as an "insider" it's always nice to see someone I can say, "I know them....!"; Ann G seems to turn up on multiple programmes these days (haven't seen her wander through my office for a while) and we're currently cheering her captaining the OU on University Challenge.

Ruislip is certainly good for looking round battery locos.  What's the collective noun for them?

IMG_0539.JPG.8e291cb41002d628875531152029aec5.JPG

They're particularly interesting because to be able to operate across the network, they have to be compatible with all the signaling systems.  Likewise the drivers have to have the appropriate knowledge, although to climb into one you'd think the key requirement would be to be less than 4' tall.

Edited by Northmoor
  • Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2