REALTRACK models announce Class 143 and Class 144

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Adding to the votes for 142 - I would definitely put my name down for a 'Skipper' in original chocolate / cream. If it's anywhere near the price of the current releases, it will blow the sad Hornby version out of the water!

PLEEEEEEEASE! 

I'd give DC Kits or Realtrack, thats DC Kits or Realtrack ×in best reeves and mortimer type lingo×

Give the manfucaturer and retailer the full whack!

Is there is a list of retailers? I was just wondering who in Yorkshire is stocking these?

• RMweb Premium

Is there is a list of retailers? I was just wondering who in Yorkshire is stocking these?

DC Kits (one half of Realtrack) are from Leeds. I believe that's in Yorkshire............. (Although in 2014, it becomes an extension of France for a couple of days)

Cheers,

Mick

Has the 142 been confirmed... its been all but announced for sometime... I hope it soon follows the 144 for release. The review for the 144 in the latest Model Rail is very good.

As for the 142, Id like it in Brown and Cream, Tyne and Wear Yellow Regional railways, standard Regional Railways, and Northern Blue.... just for starters!

Has the 142 been confirmed... its been all but announced for sometime... I hope it soon follows the 144 for release.

Only "confirmation" is in post #604 (i.e. not directly from Charlie at DC Kits).

If it is being produced, I can't see it being too soon as the 143 is next. 

And back to the 144 . . .

Has the 142 been confirmed... its been all but announced for sometime... I hope it soon follows the 144 for release. The review for the 144 in the latest Model Rail is very good.

As for the 142, Id like it in Brown and Cream, Tyne and Wear Yellow Regional railways, standard Regional Railways, and Northern Blue.... just for starters!

Well you might get it in Northern! Manchester PTE for me please. kev.

so should  the 142 have two different destination blinds as well as the two types of roof, some also have no steps or even just one then there's the vents on the top that can be boarder over or not as the case may be.

Regards Arran

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

so should  the 142 have two different destination blinds as well as the two types of roof, some also have no steps or even just one then there's the vents on the top that can be boarder over or not as the case may be.

Regards Arran

And two types of doors.

Northern with SercoAbellio branding please......

Cheers,

Mick

Regards Arran

And 2 types of front end below the windows.

With and without radio pods as well think.

With and without door lock lights?

I'll have look at my files and PM you in the next 24-48 hours

• Like 2

And 2 types of front end below the windows.

With and without radio pods as well think.

With and without door lock lights?

I'll have look at my files and PM you in the next 24-48 hours

The below the window grill thing is a panel they cut to get into the heater, so we were told

Regards Arran

I have heard that too, isnt the grill sourced or supposed to have come from BQ? Easier to access them extrenally and pop a grill on it than a patch...lump hammer enginering at its best!

The below the window grill thing is a panel they cut to get into the heater, so we were told

Regards Arran

• RMweb Premium

The 142/0 has a seven rib roof as per a Leyland National bus (142001-142049). The 142/1 has a three rib roof (142050-142096). Leyland modified the roof following experience on the first batch.

The BR era fleet mods where replacement of the four leaf Leyland national doors with two leaf doors (due to the passing air pulse from HST potentially blowing the doors open). Roof mods included the standard NRN aerial (made by Philips) and the crew escape hatch which was applied across the DMU fleet following an accident report recommendation. The other change was from the Leyland TL11H engine / SCG 4 speed gear box to the Cummins LT10H / Voith T211r hydraulic gearbox.

Post BR is more complicated! But various mods to the way the body is bolted to the underframe after 2002 Winsford accident, and extra retaining straps for the propshaft from the engine to gearbox are to name a few.

The amount of variations across the fleet are numerous. Interior layouts and seating are a minefield. I'd suggest careful research before moving to a CAD design stage.

I very much doubt you'd be able to tool for a 141 from a 142. Although they do share the same long 1400mm bays as found a 11.3m long Leyland Nationals.

Edited by richierich

• RMweb Premium

Door interlock warning lights where standard from day one. Passenger door controls have changed, as per the sprinter fleet and depending who the operator was at the time of modification. So there are fleets within the fleet.

There is a Pacer preservation society who own a 142 fibreglass cab front. I'm sure they'd assist.

• RMweb Premium

Regards Arran

Merseyside PTA sponsored certain units and they received Hanover flip-dot matrix displays, but kept 3+2 bus style seating I think. The rest of the fleet I believe have retained the as built destination blind aperture.

The merseyrail units have their own special form of 3+2 seating. They're devices of torture to sit in, more akin to chairs found in a junior school.

Other visible mods done over the years affect the isolating cocks under the secondmans side window. Originally 4 cocks,one altered following the Liverpool ls runaway when the brake res cock got taken off the fleet, and now they're fitted with sanders with additional and altered pipework. They also had a fine mesh grille fitted over the radiator in a light grey colour.

Direct acting brakes replaced the woeful cable operated originals.

And im intrigued by the mention of a crew s

escape hatch.. no one mentioned it in the 7 years i drove them. I suppose that could have been deliberate.....

The first style of 142 destination display was a full width glass panel with black masking, later replaced by a solid panel with a small grommet mounted glass panel . The Merseytravel units retain a full width clear panel with there almost illegible electronic displays and one of the Northern cars still has full width with a small unmasked area for the destination blind

• RMweb Premium

Even the roof pods have been modified. In the picture you can see where the vertical slatted intake has been panelled over. Not sure if Leylamd 14X units had the original Leyland national heating system, which blowed hot air from ducting above the windows. This was great to keep windows clear of condensation, but left passengers with cold feet! Later B series Nationals had conventional floor mounted heaters., which I think 142s have now.

A great place for technical information are the BR (subsequent TOC) working instructions / Train Crew Manuals for the 142 (or any other class). These sometimes come up on eBay.

Edited by richierich
  • Like 1