REALTRACK models announce Class 143 and Class 144

Andy Y

Hi Charlie and Arran,

My 144007 in Northern arrived yesterday and I was very impressed on opening the box. Having seen the various development stage models etc the thing that took me by suprise was the leaflet with exploded diagram of all the individual parts, nothing else comes close. The attention to detail is superb, the seating looks good and the door handrails, partitions and the fire extinguishers inside are stunning and just a few of the little details to mention. The external parts add to the fidelity of this model.

After a quick test out the box, the lighting is superb especially internally mine has already been converted to DCC sound on a V4 micro with Legomanbiffo excellent recordings. The body's come off easily and by carefully sliding the internal lighting bar out of the cab end and holding both the clear plastic and the rear bulkhead the glue was snapped off to remove the light section. This gives access to the black screws for the wheelsets to be carefully removed. A tiny flat screwdriver was used to release the 6 black clips holding the grey metal block in place which then lifts clear to access the 8 pin socket. The two metal parts were removed from this and the decoder plugged in to test. I removed the white plastic box off the micro speaker and placed this flat over the holed section of chassis. A little bit of the black plastic circle was cut back towards the centre of the chassis to allow a nice flat fit and the speaker secured with two strips of white tack down each side. Electrical tape was laid across this and the top of the 8 pin plug etc to avoid shorts. The decoder was put beyond that before the other wheelsets and held in place. The chassis block clips back in and the wheelsets screws replaced making sure they align. The light bar goes back in and the body clipped back on. The key thing is to be careful, gentle and take your time as I did have to stick a couple of bits back on but with this level of detail on a model its hard to avoid.

The 144 is the best model available IMHO and the close coupling feature is something I have wanted to see for a long time and works well even on my layouts tight curves on Rannoch.

Charlie and Arran well done it deserves to do well!

All the best

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Of my two 144s, the Northern one runs perfectly, quietly, no shaking or swaying and manages without any problem the gradients on my layout. The Metro one is not quite so good, it slows noticeably on the corners and has a habit of derailing on a particular danger spot on my layout, only with the trailer car leading. Most of these problems seem related to the axle box being skew so the wheels are never perfectly in line with the rail. When I have the courage to take the train apart again I will try and improve the alignment.

I look forward to the 143 appearing in the not too distant future to add to my fleet. My Hornby 142s have now gone into hiding in shame!

attachicon.gif142-1.jpg

attachicon.gif142-2.jpg

attachicon.gif142-3.jpg

No shaking and swaying! That's not following the prototype then.

Seriously though, congratulations to RealTrack on making such a success of this first project.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Gold

I have absolutely no justification for one (apart from Rule 1), but mine arrived yesterday and I am just amazed how good it it. Congratulations to Charlie and Arran, all the heart ache and tribulations have certainly been worth it and your attention to detail sets a new standard in the RTR trade. I have absolutely no doubt that you have produced one of the best 4mm models ever made for the UK market. I know those 150 units will be gone in minutes and I just hope you make sufficient return on it to get the next project underway. Many thanks!

Godfrey

• Like 1

I have absolutely no justification for one (apart from Rule 1), but mine arrived yesterday and I am just amazed how good it it. Congratulations to Charlie and Arran, all the heart ache and tribulations have certainly been worth it and your attention to detail sets a new standard in the RTR trade. I have absolutely no doubt that you have produced one of the best 4mm models ever made for the UK market. I know those 150 units will be gone in minutes and I just hope you make sufficient return on it to get the next project underway. Many thanks!

Godfrey

Our aim was to produce something we would want to buy at a reasonable price, not over priced nice, but reasonably priced excellent.  Hope we got somewhere near to that.

We now have 180 packed for the NEC, and more to do next week for our stockists as its been so busy we have neglected them a little.  ALL orders to everyone will be out in time for Christmas, that I pledge WILL HAPPEN.

The Northern & Arriva Red & Silver are selling very fast, plenty of Serco Abellio/Northern ones currently left.

Working on the 143 designs as we speak, see the samples at Warley NEC.  Look out for our REALTRACK FLAG

Edited by charliepetty
  • Like 3

Charlie,

Is there any truth in the rumour you are doing a "Rochdale" limited edition with on board smoke unit ?

Was on that centre car on leeds man service in the afternoon (13.29 off Dewsbury) and it was smoking then, got off at Rochdale and train crew were not interested by all the complaints. I even told the guard it should not be in service and all I got was a look of "who do you think you are". Well I've worked most diesel types in preservation and some private hire shunters, and unlike the train crew will still have a job to go to on monday

Rant over

Robin (a non smoker)

PS When it did go bang it was only about 200ft from the bottom of my garden

Edited by 25901

I did not see any 144s on any layouts , but on Dc Kits stand there was  a small round testing track and I viewed the Pacer running round with Legomanbiffo sound fitted it certainly looked good . ran well and the sounds were great in my opinion { so much so I bought a sound decoder}.The pacer was also fitted with passengers ,showing how excellent the glazing, and interiors and interior lighting are ,the only cloud being the front headlights were not working , although I would assume this being a contact problem on refitting the body.

Went to Warley on Saturday and although I was determined to wait until the 143 was available after seeing these I am now the proud owner of a 144 (144-111 144012).

There are only 2 (very small) things wrong, 1 is with the destination as it says York on both coaches, I am sure Charlie said it was York and Leeds and Realtracks website says that as well but I think I might have got the wrong end of the stick.

The other is that there is a tiny bit of glue residue where the front footsteps are held into the front valance (at all 4 points on each coach). but the size of them it is easy to see how it happens.

Saying that though, I am still very very impressed that these have finally been released (they are well worth the effort put in by Charlie and the team) and I was half expecting air operated opening doors the detail is that good. :angel:

I cant wait to add a 143 (with Paignton and Exmouth destinations please, I cant stand Severn Beach :no: ) to keep the 144 company (rule 1 applies).

Take a bow chaps (and Lasses) and I hope these are flying off the shelves, they deserve to.

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 1

Bought an Arriva version 144 at Warley. Very quickly and easily EM'ed. Could have got away with just opening the supplied wheel sets out to 16.5 but decided to turn down the flanges a little bit. Has done workbench testing and has now had a chance to run round on Hornsey Broadway courtesy of Wibble. Not quite right era for that layout but should get a chance for a run out on Wibdenshaw when Wibble is not looking. It is the right area for it after all.

I have got to give you full marks Charlie for the running qualities and level of detail on the model. Can't wait to see the rest of the offerings from you.

Paul J.

Realtrack "Arriva" 144 on test on Hornsey Broadway.

post-7146-0-77031900-1385863657_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

What a splendid model!! These along with the equally shiversome 142's were the worst trains I have had the mispleasure of using in the UK by a long way but it is a cracking model. I used to use these regularly when they worked Carlisle - Newcastle services and for all I detested the things with a passion I'll buy a T&W yellow/white version, is that one planned? At least the 143/144 looked a lot nicer than the 142 IMO. I'm sure that for short distance urban services they'd have been acceptable but they were used on some quite long(-ish) routes and the travelling experience was awful for anything over a short hop. The model looks to be superbly done though and is a super effort for a new company, well done!