Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

• RMweb Premium

Slight loss of coolant?

I like how on the corner of the cab, you can see clean livery right next to the mucky version.

(Sherwood green next to Sherwood brown)

Presumably the way the water has come off the gutters and down the corner.

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Kensington Olympia 1960's by Geoff Dowling

Southern EMU bodgery on the right.  Is it this 6-TC: https://www.bloodandcustard.com/BR-6TC.html ?

Edit: oh, that’s what one the flickr comments says. 

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Just shows how much of Olympia has been lost - i take it this pic is looking north at the Up side. If so, the Hymek is on what is now the Up platform road. Both lines had platform loops but only the Down (left) one was retained.

That said, all three remaining lines are fully reversible.

Looking south in this pic:

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/k/kensington_olympia/index33.shtml

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, keefer said:

Just shows how much of Olympia has been lost - i take it this pic is looking north at the Up side. If so, the Hymek is on what is now the Up platform road. Both lines had platform loops but only the Down (left) one was retained.

That said, all three remaining lines are fully reversible.

Looking south in this pic:

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/k/kensington_olympia/index33.shtml

Yes fully set up for reversible working - I often get routed any of the three ways when working 6O51 down to Battersea from Wembley. Passing through now you would barely know those sidings used to exist on the Up (southbound) side.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to track back slightly to Kenny-O!

YouTube video courtesy of the Alan Snowdon Archive, shows a trip from Clapham Jn - Olympia & return in 1967. (From p17 at Clapham via Pigs Hill then Latchmere No.1)

Edited by keefer
  • Like 4

On 17/01/2022 at 20:56, keefer said:

YouTube video courtesy of the Alan Snowdon Archive, shows a trip from Clapham Jn - Olympia & return in 1967. (From p17 at Clapham via Pigs Hill then Latchmere No.2)

Really nice to see that but the power station on the west side of the line quoted as being Lots Road isn't, Lots Road PS is on the east side of the line on the north bank of the river. It's currently being refurbished and was a location seen several times in 'The Sweeney' ;).

I photographed my 1970 P5B Coupe there a few years ago....

864672970_AAA30DSC_0017b.jpg.23f4b244af405e72486749dee60f60cb.jpg

The West London line is definitely a favourite of mine, quite short but full of historical interest.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Classic motor @Rugd1022. Car of choice for the PM & Ministers in the '70s, seen pulling up to or away from No.10 in the background of all the ITN/BBC News reports

EDIT: Had a chance to look at the film again, and at old maps.

"Just after we pass the site of Battersea station...", i think may show Lots Road in the distance?:

20220119_132319.jpg.67e460f28e637e9a46d911d3607c201d.jpg

The larger one with 4 chimneys is Fulham Power Station, on the North bank & to the West of the line:

Screenshot_20220119-132404_YouTube.jpg.485cae0d054d213bcc4585ed4a97fcc9.jpg

Edited by keefer
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 17/01/2022 at 20:56, keefer said:

YouTube video courtesy of the Alan Snowdon Archive, shows a trip from Clapham Jn - Olympia & return in 1967. (From p17 at Clapham via Pigs Hill then Latchmere No.2)

RMwebbers will be delighted to know that at 1:38 there is a bus on the bridge. :jester:

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

2 hours ago, keefer said:

think may show Lots Road in the distance?:

I’m pretty sure that top ‘still’ shows Lots Road, viewed from where the WLL enters onto the southern side of the bridge.

I worked for LT for almost 30 years, a significant part of that with the power supply department, and although my work didn’t take me to LR very often, it did occasionally. Once inside, it was a world detached, almost detached from everything, all very ordered and quite peaceful apart from the thrum of the turbines etc. The manager was a really nice chap, who knew the place like the back of his hand, every nook and cranny of what was a big and complex site, and he would keep an eye on every aspect of it, even personally climbing to the tops of the chimneys to check on the quality of work when the brickwork had to be re-pointed. Latterly though, the plant got to the point where even diligent cars couldn’t quite keep up with the rate of age-related deterioration, which is why it had to close.

Our mutual chief had the original artwork of this poster on his office wall, being temporarily entrusted with its care by LT Museum.

1C776B52-E21E-4BF1-B36A-38BD7316164E.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1