Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

Picc n mix

b Ardwick view to goods yard 8th May 71 C596

This shot of Ardwick, Manchester, is fascinating. The date quoted is 8th May 1971.

By 1969 Manchester had two Freightliner terminals at Trafford Park and Longsight, plus the independent Containerbase at Barton, so there was plenty of capacity for ISO container handling. The docks could also handle ISO containers on two quays.

Yet two years later, here we see a yard full of traditional Conflats and old-style railway containers. Also there are dozens of flatbed road trailers.

I'd thought that by 1970, most of the traditional Conflats had been withdrawn. Did they linger on here, or are these lines awaiting scrapping?

Mol

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

This shot of Ardwick, Manchester, is fascinating. The date quoted is 8th May 1971.

By 1969 Manchester had two Freightliner terminals at Trafford Park and Longsight, plus the independent Containerbase at Barton, so there was plenty of capacity for ISO container handling. The docks could also handle ISO containers on two quays.

Yet two years later, here we see a yard full of traditional Conflats and old-style railway containers. Also there are dozens of flatbed road trailers.

I'd thought that by 1970, most of the traditional Conflats had been withdrawn. Did they linger on here, or are these lines awaiting scrapping?

Mol

It's a photo I took so I can confirm the date is correct - I've made sure by looking in my notes.

I've often wondered what all the conflats and containers were doing there.

I have to admit I took the photo just before my finals, I found it helpful to take days off from revision and relax.  I did get my degree!

David

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

Mol

Is that the viaduct carrying the Philips Park - Ashbury's link in the background? It took a while to orient myself on that photo; most of it is now the industrial estates alongside Ashton Old Road, no?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, 62613 said:

Is that the viaduct carrying the Philips Park - Ashbury's link in the background? It took a while to orient myself on that photo; most of it is now the industrial estates alongside Ashton Old Road, no?

The photo appears to be looking essentially east from Ardwick Station footbridge with the part-demolished remains of the carriage shed in the foreground.

Simon 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, scottystitch said:

Oban 22apr86 a380

Oban, 22nd April 1986.

So you ordered your 'Its a kind of Magic' 12 inch from a company called Amazon, who sent it to this box for free?  And they sent you a key for this box in the post and now all you have to do is open the box and the record is in it?

That'll never catch on, buying records via a modem on the BBC Micro, bet you'll tell me anything.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

So you ordered your 'Its a kind of Magic' 12 inch from a company called Amazon, who sent it to this box for free?  And they sent you a key for this box in the post and now all you have to do is open the box and the record is in it?

That'll never catch on, buying records via a modem on the BBC Micro, bet you'll tell me anything.

I couldn't figure out if they were left luggage lockers for use from the van, or if they were in the process of being delivered to the station building, or if it was a secure parcel transport arrangement...

Best

Scott.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 minutes ago, scottystitch said:

I couldn't figure out if they were left luggage lockers for use from the van, or if they were in the process of being delivered to the station building, or if it was a secure parcel transport arrangement...

Best

Scott.

It's odd because some look inaccessible, so perhaps a delivery of some sort, but they do look like lockers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

It's odd because some look inaccessible, so perhaps a delivery of some sort, but they do look like lockers.

Agreed; and is that paperwork on the floor, beyond the chap in the striped top?

Best

Scott.

I think that in some outlying areas, there were/are lockers like that at post offices, so that people who are off the delivery circuit can come and collect their mail once a week.

But, they might be ordinary lockers for a school or factory, or something.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scottystitch said:

Best

Scott.

It may well be from when the lockers were removed from the station?

I think it was around the mid eighties when left luggage was removed from stations due to the terrorist threat