Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

I remember the section of a 150 that could be locked off from the rest, but never saw it in use for mails as shown here:

More evening mails

This seems almost as much of an anachronism as the horse tram above!

I remember it been loaded into 142/3s with the then smoking component been locked out behind the driver and mail loaded

• Informative/Useful 1

On 08/02/2022 at 23:04, Andy Kirkham said:

Helpston

That looks like the Kings Cross to York excursion in 1964 which was advertised a Duchess. Alas some bean-counter on the LMR decided that the Duchesses would be withdrawn en masse. The first that most railtour participents (like me!) knew about it was when a BR Standard tender emerged out of Gas Works Tunnel. It would have made a nice swansong if a Duchess could have been let loose down Stoke Bank on the return journey.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, KeithHC said:

Ah half of a prototype sprinter……….

Keith

Prototype Pacer, surely?

Always thought these looked so much more likely to survive in an 'incident' than the AC & Park Royal types. Mainly due to the German bridge girder underframe ;)

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

We’re they purely ‘internal user’, or did they run over BR too? If the latter, I’m surprised they haven’t been the subject of a r-t-r model, or maybe they have, and I didn’t notice.

They ran on BR, not just around Buildwas, but between some North Staffs pits (Florence, Hem Heath and Chatterley-Whitfield) and Meaford power-station, near Stone. I think they ran until the miner's strike of the 1980s.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

We’re they purely ‘internal user’, or did they run over BR too? If the latter, I’m surprised they haven’t been the subject of a r-t-r model, or maybe they have, and I didn’t notice.

The wagons are not available RTR but I've a feeling the livery may have been used on the 'redemption hire' side-and-end door 20t vehicles available from Dapol and Hornby. These originally were a product of Airfix/GMR.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

14 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

All my photos are on the mainline, or required mainline access (the ones in Stoke Wagon Works). All very clear on the photos. 

I agree would make a good RTR - but there are two distinctive builds. 

Paul

• Informative/Useful 2