Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

On 19/01/2022 at 18:15, Andy Kirkham said:

Another intriguing Derek Chaplin shot presented by Peter Brabham. A municipally owned steeple cab loco.

Cardiff Corporation battery loco along Glamorganshire canal swingbridge Cardiff Bay Butetown April 1955 by Derek Chaplin - Peter Brabham collection

Cardiff Bay Then and now 1955/2020

Greenwood & Batley Wks. 2002 aka "Greenbat"

Purchased by Cardiff Corporation to replace an Avonside 0-4-0ST when the council  bought the Glamorganshire Canal, and this associated railway, in 1944.

Behind the loco is James Street swingbridge which spanned the canal's "sea lock pound", but such was its condition the council forbade its opening after around 1946.

The "sea lock pound" was drained in December, 1951 after the sand sucker 'Catherine Ethel' struck the lock gates.

The railway continued operating until 1963.

My father worked for Cardiff Corporation, at their Trade Street depot, and all hands would be called out regularly to help re-rail 'Greenbat' as it had pieces the size of a 'half crown' missing from its flanges, and would take off down Dumballs Road if a crossing flangeway was blocked.

Therefore, it was with some trepidation I was granted a cab ride, as our neighbour was the loco driver................but, I must have enjoyed it, as my next Christmas present was a Tri-ang 'steeple cab' loco.

"Greenbat" met her end, care of Western Metals of Ferry Road, Cardiff in 1965.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 4

13 minutes ago, br2975 said:

Greenwood & Batley Wks. 2002 aka "Greenbat"

Purchased by Cardiff Corporation to replace an Avonside 0-4-0ST when the council  bought the Glamorganshire Canal, and this associated railway, in 1944.

Behind the loco is James Street swingbridge which spanned the canal's "sea lock pound", but such was its condition the council forbade its opening after around 1946.

The "sea lock pound" was drained in December, 1951 after the sand sucker 'Catherine Ethel' struck the lock gates.

The railway continued operating until 1963.

My father worked for Cardiff Corporation, at their Trade Street depot, and all hands would be called out regularly to help re-rail 'Greenbat' as it had pieces the size of a 'half crown' missing from its flanges, and would take off down Dumballs Road if a crossing flangeway was blocked.

Therefore, it was with some trepidation I was granted a cab ride, as our neighbour was the loco driver................but, I must have enjoyed it, as my next Christmas present was a Tri-ang 'steeple cab' loco.

"Greenbat" met her end, care of Western Metals of Ferry Road, Cardiff in 1965.

And on my list of locations worth modelling…………

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Carlisle Class 08 and Royal train up 30th July 86 C7730

Love the eclectic mix of stock in this photo. From 1986! 12 wheel LMS staff brake/generator, Mk3 sleeper, LNWR special saloon (rebuilt on a Mk1 underframe) and an LMS special saloon. 

And this one

British Rail class 25 diesel locomotive 25297 working the Royal Train, Blackpool South. 1978

Another fairly fun formation. Mk2b brake, Mk1 staff car, LNWR Special saloon and a Mk2b brake. This seems to have been a fairly regular formation of the Royal train, appears in many photos. 

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

10203 Euston 1958 by Geoff Dowling

10203 in green (PJS 0298)

Interesting. I hadn't realised that at one time EP point machines were installed at Euston.

• Like 1

On 23/01/2022 at 20:37, nightstar.train said:

British Rail class 25 diesel locomotive 25297 working the Royal Train, Blackpool South. 1978

Another fairly fun formation. Mk2b brake, Mk1 staff car, LNWR Special saloon and a Mk2b brake. This seems to have been a fairly regular formation of the Royal train, appears in many photos. 

Interesting her Madge should stable at Blackpool South not North.  And all the station buildings still intact.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Interesting her Madge should stable at Blackpool South not North.  And all the station buildings still intact.

I expect that this working wasn't the for the Queen as it doesn't have the principal royal saloon of the time (ex LMS 799) in it. Probably one of the minor royals. In the 70s the royal train in various formations was used a lot by all the members of the royal family, it's only the last couple of decades it's been restricted to the Queen, Charles and William.

Edit to add: Looking through one of my royal train books that exact formation is noted several times in 1977 as being used for Prince Charles, so i expect that the train is his. 

Edited by nightstar.train
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2