Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

Yes, on test. Sentinel were just around the corner and regularly tested locos on the line.

0-6-0+0-6-0 9633 was tested in March 1957, and worked a train of 78 wagons, amounting to 1294 tons.

The coaches are, I think, army ones, I think ex-LMS 'Tilbury Saloons'.

The line was still under army operation at this time, and that must have paid-off, because the MoD bought a stack of the 4WDH, the prototype of which was extensively tested there.

• Informative/Useful 4

18 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

An intriguing machine seen at Shrewsbury Abbey station. Evidently some kind of Super-Sentinel

- Peter Shoesmith/Geoff Dowling 

Standing Sentinel at Shrewsbury (pjs,1246)

I was so intrigued by it I tried to find some better pictures of it and ironically one of the best is already on the forum!

Also the single version of it is pictured here

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/industrial-and-light/industrial-steam/other/hA87C27EB#ha87c27eb

Edited by montyburns56
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Also the Shrewsbury Foregate station itself intrigued me and I've some pictures of it and wow would it make for an interesting layout. I can't think of many stations that have an Abbey right next to it. I'm surprised that it has never inspired an Rev Awdry story where Thomas smashes into the Abbey interrupting a wedding or christening!

09/1958 - Abbey Foregate (S&MLR), Shrewsbury, Shropshire.

• Like 17

35 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

It had a medieval font, or altar, I can’t recall which, in the goods yard, which is possibly unique.

I think you are referring to the remains of the refectory pulpit. 

By way of explanation, Shrewsbury was a house of black monks, who ate their meals in a refectory accessed from the cloister (all of which has been swept away). While the others ate, one of the monks read from the pulpit. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm a sucker for narrow gauge cuteness so I can't resist this. One of a pair delivered by Pecketts in 1941 to Hadfield's East Hecla works in Sheffield. I can't find a reference to what gauge the lines were.

CAIMF454-P.1995-1941, 'No.12784', or 'Finland', at Hadfields Limited, Hecla Steel Works, Tinsley, Sheffield-15-04-1949

The pair were named FINLAND and CZECHO presumably to honour those early victims of WW2 aggression, and this picture was taken in 1949 so evidently FINLAND kept its name throughout the remainder of the conflict even though we were officially at war with Finland. Not that the Finns were baddies - they were just trying to recapture territory that had been siezed by the Soviets.

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

The December 1964 edition of Model Railway Constructor has a three page article 'R G Perkins visits Jedburgh'.

Page 1 has a photo of the branch goods at the station in September1963 behind Ivatt 4MT 43141. There is a brief history of the branch, a discussion of the modelling possibilities, a description of the buildings and comments on the track layout. At the foot of the page is a well-drawn track plan with all building features and signals which are numbered according to the levers in the twenty lever frame cabin.

Pages 2 and 3 have six photographs featuring the station area in 1963. These are, of course, in the slightly 'muddy' style which we had to put up with in the magazines of the day. In compensation they are all of a reasonable size.

David

Edited by DavidLong
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 minute ago, montyburns56 said:

I think this is one of those Irish Steam Heating Vans

Youghal

Youghal 3106 img326

Yes, there was also a larger 6-wheel version. They were still in use in the 1970s, I think it may have been the import of ex-BR Mk1s converted to generator steam vans in 1972 that saw them off, but I'm not sure exactly because I have an idea some were still used in the later 1970s on suburban duties not covered by the converted railcar push-pull trains and limited to I think 50 or 60mph by that point.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

Falmouth 1969 by KDH Archive

69 055 300469 DMU Falmouth

A particularly brutal bit of rationalisation, given that Falmouth was originally a main line terminus (the Cornwall Railway ran from Plymouth to Falmouth rather than to Penzance)

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

21 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

A particularly brutal bit of rationalisation, given that Falmouth was originally a main line terminus (the Cornwall Railway ran from Plymouth to Falmouth rather than to Penzance)

Yeah, but I posted it because I thought that it would make for a nice minimum space layout.