Bachmann announce Class 69 in OO and N.

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Paul.Uni said:

You'll be waiting a long time as Bachmann have the exclusive rights to N and OO gauge models of the Class 69.

I won't be waiting (neither will I be buying as I have no interest in the 69) but I find it a little annoying that whenever Bachmann or Hornby, and Heljan to some degree make a model we get so much wailing about prices and comments that it'd be so much better if brand A or brand B was making it. Nothing against either A or B but it seems pointless trying to compare a model against an alternative that only exists in the imaginations of some.

On price, it is what it is. There are lots of options to manage prices, such as buy less, look fore pre-owned, take a chance and wait to see if stuff appears in clearance offers. Railway modelling is a discretionary hobby, it doesnt have to  be expensive but as with any hobby it can become very expensive if people want it to be. Compared with many hobbies I think ours is still very accessible.  My son plays ice hockey, that makes model railways look low rent, my boss goes off to other countries to play golf every other weekend, spending £££££££s. My own answer to price is probably highly counterintuitive in that I don't buy much but much of what I buy is rather expensive. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Round of applause 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 27/11/2023 at 19:34, big jim said:

not sure now really but it was the first thing that my eye got drawn to when I saw the pics 

IMG_3618.jpeg.82887e1b7e83b5e41e1a28da399e2b90.jpeg

IMG_3619.jpeg.0e1bd4dff9887d2f2e553eb08824f9ed.jpeg

Easy - that is cab window of Romanian built 56.  69003 is based on 56018, 69005 is based on 56007 and 69011 is based on 56009.

All rest of the 69s are based on BREL built locos.

So the question is are Bachmann going to produce tooling for just Romanian based 69s or also do tooling to represent BREL based 69s which are the majority…?

Edited by richierich
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/12/2023 at 01:07, jjb1970 said:

I won't be waiting (neither will I be buying as I have no interest in the 69) but I find it a little annoying that whenever Bachmann or Hornby, and Heljan to some degree make a model we get so much wailing about prices and comments that it'd be so much better if brand A or brand B was making it. Nothing against either A or B but it seems pointless trying to compare a model against an alternative that only exists in the imaginations of some.

On price, it is what it is. There are lots of options to manage prices, such as buy less, look fore pre-owned, take a chance and wait to see if stuff appears in clearance offers. Railway modelling is a discretionary hobby, it doesnt have to  be expensive but as with any hobby it can become very expensive if people want it to be. Compared with many hobbies I think ours is still very accessible.  My son plays ice hockey, that makes model railways look low rent, my boss goes off to other countries to play golf every other weekend, spending £££££££s. My own answer to price is probably highly counterintuitive in that I don't buy much but much of what I buy is rather expensive. 

Cannot disagree with any of that.  The hobby is very discretionary, and it is up to the purchaser what they think they can afford or not afford.  There is nop need to bleat about i on railway fora because we all know "the price of fish" .  2023 saw me invest a sum of money in a model I wanted, and which had not been available to modellers even as a kit.  No grizzling about costs, it's what I was happy with - one man's meat etc. My issue would be paying £57 for a basic kid's football shirt,  but having to pay more to have the relevant club logos ironed on.     

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Paul.Uni said:

1 hour ago, Paul.Uni said:

Inside the 2024 Combined Volume Bachmann will reveal details of the first Bachmann Branchline Class 69 Diesel Locomotives, these highly anticipated models wowed when they were displayed at the Warley Show, andBachmann will be opening the order book for these models from Wednesday 7th February

Bank of England held interest rates, £ is up against the $, Electric bills coming down, each month passing is one closer to the election and even the Houtis just got a Big one up there jacksy tonight..

There has to be optimism on price somewhere.

Has anyone found further details about these models yet? The announcement said info was available online and that order books were open. 

Edited by Denny

• RMweb Gold

A good question, I saw the sample at Febex at the weekend and it looked very impressive - a friend said it looked to be of Accurascale quality!  I couldn't find any mention of it this morning on a skim through the announcements video. Very strange. Perhaps its not as ready as they want it to be or otherwise they want to add some liveries that  have not been outshopped yet. Did not one of the real locos enter the Eastleigh works recently to be painted?

Nobody has died so not of any great importance in the scheme of things!

all the best

Godfrey

12 minutes ago, Godfrey Glyn said:

A good question, I saw the sample at Febex at the weekend and it looked very impressive - a friend said it looked to be of Accurascale quality!  I couldn't find any mention of it this morning on a skim through the announcements video. Very strange. Perhaps its not as ready as they want it to be or otherwise they want to add some liveries that  have not been outshopped yet. Did not one of the real locos enter the Eastleigh works recently to be painted?

Nobody has died so not of any great importance in the scheme of things!

all the best

Godfrey

The models were mentioned in the announcement video, 5 minutes in. 

Edited by Denny
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, norfolkchinaclay said:

Thanks Craig. Maybe 004 will be a collectors club model.

Good bet as 35-779 is the only gap between 35-776 and 780 on the website listings, and the represent 69001,2,3 and 5.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

Ok correct me if I am wrong. I just got a mail shot from Rails asking me if I wanted to pre order one of these. To be honest I had never heard of a class 69, so I googled it. So basically it is a class 56 with an engine upgrade and cab upgrade, so it will still look like a class 56 but internally a class 66. So externally does it look any different to a class 56? Obviously the sound decoder would be totally different, but as the article said it is basically the same powertrain as fitted to a class 66, so I imagine it must sound the same. So why not renumber a class 56. Does this new model from Bachmann have working fans?

3 minutes ago, ColinB said:

Ok correct me if I am wrong. I just got a mail shot from Rails asking me if I wanted to pre order one of these. To be honest I had never heard of a class 69, so I googled it. So basically it is a class 56 with an engine upgrade and cab upgrade, so it will still look like a class 56 but internally a class 66. So externally does it look any different to a class 56? Obviously the sound decoder would be totally different, but as the article said it is basically the same powertrain as fitted to a class 66, so I imagine it must sound the same. So why not renumber a class 56. Does this new model from Bachmann have working fans?

From my understanding, the body shape is the same. But the lights, roof’s and exhausts as well as some other details will be different. Working fans will only be on the SFX (sound fitted deluxe) models

• RMweb Gold

There is a fair bit of external difference between a 56 and 69, extra grille, totally different roof panels, revised from end and lights etc

etc they have also been going in for modifications which involve removing the rain gutter above the front windscreen amongst other subtle mods 

Sounds a bit like a 66 but seems to rev a bit higher, doesn’t ying as much as a 66 to my ears, lots of little individual sounds different to a 66 too, warning buzzer, brake sounds (different brake type compared to a 66) 

I had a brain freeze earlier and couldnt remember what liveries were about, totally forgot about 69005 in green, that’s a definite order for me too, go nice with 66779

IMG_0960.jpeg.7664270ecb2a9a02d8b5fd140da1b7ed.jpeg

Edited by big jim
  • Like 4