Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
On 17/03/2024 at 08:59, The Fatadder said:

IMG_9880.jpeg.d2f93cb34ae02adf5242ca1ff03152bf.jpeg

At Ally Pally yesterday I painted and fitted the ModelU crew, (after a quick wander over to Revolution to make sure Mr Hale was painted correctly).   So just waiting on the sound upgrade kit now to finish it off.

Took a few attempts to refit the interior before Cav mentioned getting the bulkhead in front of the screw and then pushing in.   

That photo reminds me to ask. Which was the lowest numbered 56 that did NOT have the grid under the buffer beam that gave them the nickname? Was it 56087?

24 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

That photo reminds me to ask. Which was the lowest numbered 56 that did NOT have the grid under the buffer beam that gave them the nickname? Was it 56087?

They all had the grid under the bufferbeam.

Screenshot_2024-03-20-20-53-06-048_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

Edited by RBE
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Sorry but no they didn’t. Here is 56125 in 1986 https://flic.kr/p/GG2U9Z and 56115 https://flic.kr/p/jxWtyx so not just the Crewe built ones

Ah apologies. It seems that I misread the question. Locos from 091 onwards (our series 4 cabs with the second man's vent) were not fitted with the bang grids. 090 the last series 3 was fitted with them.

• Informative/Useful 1

27 minutes ago, GordonC said:

what was the grid under the bufferbeam for?

It was to protect equipment fitted directly behind the bufferbeam.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

Depends which era you’re modelling though, as some were removed later in life. E.g. 56007 in 1988:

56105, 58019 & 56007 Barrow Hill 2.7.88

2003 condition that I’m trying to replicate:

56007 6d11 Thornaby 31/03/2003

Picture links from Flickr. Moral of the story they’re all different so check your chosen prototype before fitting! I fell foul of that after realising 56018 didn’t have them fitted…

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Southwich said:

Depends which era you’re modelling though, as some were removed later in life. E.g. 56007 in 1988:

From new, which RBE has confirmed is 56091onwards.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Southwich said:

56105, 58019 & 56007 Barrow Hill 2.7.88

2003 condition that I’m trying to replicate:

56007 6d11 Thornaby 31/03/2003

Picture links from Flickr. Moral of the story they’re all different so check your chosen prototype before fitting! I fell foul of that after realising 56018 didn’t have them fitted…

Kind regards,

Will

You ought to also remove the NEM pocket if detailing the end as well, as there is a very obvious hole without the grid fitted.

Admin, please delete this if not allowed. I have surplus to my needs 56023 Coal Sector with factory fitted DCC and Sound. Absolutely as delivered and never been on the track. It will appear this evening on a well know internet auction site at what I paid, not the somewhat speculative prices asked by others, regards to all, Rob

• Like 1

Just found out, by accident that the 56 is the most superb 'crawler' when hauling.  I had mine hooked up to 14x Bachmann bogie TEA tankers + 3x 4-wheeled, whilst trying to figure out how to detail a Dapol Western I'd recently 'won' on a certain auction site.

I just 'pinged the undercab steps on the Western trying to dry test the fitting whilst the 56 was running. 

Amazingly I'd managed to follow the 'falling sounds' of the steps and saw them, so slowed the 56, thought I'd stopped her, but I hadn't.  At Gaugemaster 'D' DC running '22' it was still crawling, perhaps 1 sleeper per second and smoothly!!

Despite the heavy flywheels, which impede very slow running at times I find, this was absolutely superb.  I left her and found she continued, at this speed, without issue for another 2 minutes before I retrieved the steps, and preferred to increase power so as not to overload the motor - very impressive!!

Al.

Edited by atom3624
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 20/03/2024 at 21:29, RBE said:

Ah apologies. It seems that I misread the question. Locos from 091 onwards (our series 4 cabs with the second man's vent) were not fitted with the bang grids. 090 the last series 3 was fitted with them.

I always guessed it came from the big side grids on the loco…..or its importance to the …national grid ..

well I live and learn 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, taliesin said:

Admin, please delete this if not allowed. I have surplus to my needs 56023 Coal Sector with factory fitted DCC and Sound. Absolutely as delivered and never been on the track. It will appear this evening on a well know internet auction site at what I paid, not the somewhat speculative prices asked by others, regards to all, Rob

Well that lasted all of 10 minutes before it sold lol, 

• Friendly/supportive 3

7 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Just found out, by accident that the 56 is the most superb 'crawler' when hauling.  I had mine hooked up to 14x Bachmann bogie TEA tankers + 3x 4-wheeled, whilst trying to figure out how to detail a Dapol Western I'd recently 'won' on a certain auction site.

I just 'pinged the undercab steps on the Western trying to dry test the fitting whilst the 56 was running. 

Amazingly I'd managed to follow the 'falling sounds' of the steps and saw them, so slowed the 56, thought I'd stopped her, but I hadn't.  At Gaugemaster 'D' DC running '22' it was still crawling, perhaps 1 sleeper per second and smoothly!!

Despite the heavy flywheels, which impede very slow running at times I find, this was absolutely superb.  I left her and found she continued, at this speed, without issue for another 2 minutes before I retrieved the steps, and preferred to increase power so as not to overload the motor - very impressive!!

Al.

You won't overload the motor. It's designed to crawl like the real loco when loading/unloading MGRs.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Apologies if this has been covered already amongst the many pages but I’ve just got my sound fitted Colas grid out the box, I’ve pressed function 1 to activate the sound so with the sound on and upon turning the dial on my controller to get the loco moving, the flange squeal sounds straight away until it picks up speed then it goes off by itself and then when slowing the loco down, once it gets down to crawling speed the flange squeal activates again until the loco comes to a complete stop - even on straight track! I’ve got a factory sound fitted DCR grid too and this one doesn’t do this and I’ve looked at the internal switches to see if one was different to the other but all switches are as they should be. I’ve only got a Hornby elite controller at the moment so can only access 12 functions (none higher than 12)

Any help is much appreciated 🙂

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Shoey said:

I’ve only got a Hornby elite controller at the moment so can only access 12 functions (none higher than 12)

Sounds like your Elite could do with a firmware upgrade, you should be able to access 28 functions (FW v1.44 I think)

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 23/03/2024 at 19:37, taliesin said:

Well that lasted all of 10 minutes before it sold lol, 

What about the 12% final value fee you'll lose? Fair play though,  that's a bargain for someone.

On 25/03/2024 at 17:26, Shoey said:

Apologies if this has been covered already amongst the many pages but I’ve just got my sound fitted Colas grid out the box, I’ve pressed function 1 to activate the sound so with the sound on and upon turning the dial on my controller to get the loco moving, the flange squeal sounds straight away until it picks up speed then it goes off by itself and then when slowing the loco down, once it gets down to crawling speed the flange squeal activates again until the loco comes to a complete stop - even on straight track! I’ve got a factory sound fitted DCR grid too and this one doesn’t do this and I’ve looked at the internal switches to see if one was different to the other but all switches are as they should be. I’ve only got a Hornby elite controller at the moment so can only access 12 functions (none higher than 12)

The flange squeal shouldn't be on by default. It's activated by F7 so you should be able to see if it's on. Are you sure it's the squeal and not the bogie rattle sound as that is on be default?

On 23/03/2024 at 14:00, rob D2 said:

I always guessed it came from the big side grids on the loco…..or its importance to the …national grid ..

well I live and learn 

I thought it was the horn grid on cab front ☺️ 

Everyday a learning day

• Agree 7

In my ignorance, I have put the grid into the front NEM pocket on my 56 120. I'm not all that concerned as it fills the gap better than having the coupling pocket open to view.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Banger Blue said:

You aren’t the only one who thought that! 

I remember them coming into service, and I am pretty certain it was the grid on the cab front, backed up by many quotes on the internet. 

Roy

On 27/03/2024 at 20:58, Gary H said:

What about the 12% final value fee you'll lose? Fair play though,  that's a bargain for someone.

Well yes I lose a bit of money for selling it on but I strongly disapprove of the Spivs who buy them just to immediately sell them on at a profit, hopefully my sale has stopped one of them getting a sale 😂, regards Rob

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, taliesin said:

Well yes I lose a bit of money for selling it on but I strongly disapprove of the Spivs who buy them just to immediately sell them on at a profit, hopefully my sale has stopped one of them getting a sale 😂, regards Rob

Dont know how many are on for inflated resale but by using the auction function you would at least not loose money and your not twisting anyones arm to buy it are you, even the spivs are just giving an option of getting a model if one missed out, you dont have to buy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3