The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

This is sick!

kevinlms

• RMweb Premium

At least someone got onto Lego in Denmark regarding this and the manufacturers have agreed to pull the product.

Quite irresponsible.

I would imagine that the Lego lawyers didn't mess about.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-14/lego-demands-stop-to-us-company-toy-gun/100291810?utm_campaign=news-article-share-control&utm_content=link&utm_medium=content_shared&utm_source=abc_news_web

• Agree 17

• RMweb Gold

I feel the same way about manufacturers of toy/replica firearms which are too like the real thing.

With all the deaths each year from misuse of firearms (accidents and other incidents), when will people start to take gun control seriously?

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

At least someone got onto Lego in Denmark regarding this and the manufacturers have agreed to pull the product.

Quite irresponsible.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-14/lego-demands-stop-to-us-company-toy-gun/100291810?utm_campaign=news-article-share-control&utm_content=link&utm_medium=content_shared&utm_source=abc_news_web

Won't be long before the NRA jumps in on this with their usual blinkered approach. "It's our right"

37 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

With all the deaths each year from misuse of firearms (accidents and other incidents), when will people start to take gun control seriously?

"You can't change the second amendment!"

Well you can, that's why it's called an amendment.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, JZ said:

Americans don't do irony!

• Agree 5

14 minutes ago, Legend said:

Sick is the perfect description . What really could they have been thinking of?

Money?

38 minutes ago, JZ said:

Won't be long before the NRA jumps in on this with their usual blinkered approach. "It's our right"

They cancelled the 18th Amendment, there's nothing to stop them amending the 2nd to clarify its true intent.

5 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Americans don't do irony!

They do, if its used to make guns...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

It is a sad reflection of USA society, that the 'right to defend oneself' is used as a weak excuse to produce toy and replica guns. 

It is a sad reflection on UK society that many influential people see the USA as an example to follow or copy as closely as possible. 

This is a UK website - https://bbguns4less.co.uk/toy-guns/

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

Money?

They cancelled the 18th Amendment, there's nothing to stop them amending the 2nd to clarify its true intent.

They do, if its used to make guns...

The true intent of the 2nd amendment was to make firearms available to "a well regulated militia" in the late 18th century.  The USSC mangled that in a new interpretation in the 1980s.

Constitutional amendment changes would require nothing short of a miracle in the current political climate.

John

Safe and snug in Canada

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

When I were a nipper, we all had toy guns of varying sizes and accuracy to the real thing, but I was aware that weapons kill people and these were just toys where we imagined we were soldiers.

It's not about getting rid of guns, it's about changing the relationships people have with their guns and how people in the US are conditioned to believe they need them to protect themselves from other people with guns.

This gun may reappear in a Mega blocks theme yet.....

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

When I were a nipper, we all had toy guns of varying sizes and accuracy to the real thing, but I was aware that weapons kill people and these were just toys where we imagined we were soldiers.

It's not about getting rid of guns, it's about changing the relationships people have with their guns and how people in the US are conditioned to believe they need them to protect themselves from other people with guns.

When I was a kid in UK and Canada we had toy guns and they weren't molded in garish coloured plastic.  No one thought about it.  However, I recall the tragic case of a 12 year old in Chicago (I think) shot by cops while brandishing a toy gun.  Thing is you can't tell the difference.

John

John

• Agree 6

4 hours ago, woodenhead said:

:jester:

Culper Precision said in a statement that it had chosen to release the Block19 in an attempt to show that guns were "for everyone" and that "owning and shooting firearms responsibly is a really enjoyable activity".

That pretty much sums up the mentality around gun ownership.

It added that the firearm could only be purchased by those legally permitted to own a gun.

So, in many states, that would be anyone over 16.

• Agree 4

11 hours ago, kevinlms said:

They didn't.

NPR: A Toylike Gun Covered In Legos Sparks An Uproar

A Utah gun company has halted sales of a Lego-themed pistol kit, after facing fierce backlash from the public and a request from the Danish toymaker to remove the product. With the colorful "Block 19" pistol kit, owners would have been able to use Lego blocks to create their own sights and designs on top of a Glock 19 pistol's slide.

There's actually little LEGO can do regarding their patent which has expired, but they can claim "fair use" on things like typeface on the "BLOCK19" lettering. Nevertheless, Culper Precision has backed down.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

6 hours ago, brossard said:

The true intent of the 2nd amendment was to make firearms available to "a well regulated militia" in the late 18th century.  The USSC (SCOTUS) mangled that in a new interpretation in the 1980s.

The history of the Second Amendment is complex and political in nature. I essentially agree with your assessment but in the interest of avoiding politics I won't go further other than to make one observation.

The second amendment (1791) has its roots in the 1688 English Bill of Rights* (signed by William of Orange) barely a century earlier:

Subjects’ Arms.

That the Subjects which are Protestants may have Arms for their Defence suitable to their Conditions and as allowed by Law.

* Well known to the colonists.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The history of the Second Amendment is complex and political in nature. I essentially agree with your assessment but in the interest of avoiding politics I won't go further other than to make one observation.

The second amendment (1791) has its roots in the 1688 English Bill of Rights* (signed by William of Orange) barely a century earlier:

* Well known to the colonists.

Agree, the amendment was based on the English Bill of Rights.  Prudent not to pursue this as it truly is a third rail.

Interesting that Switzerland has the highest percentage gun ownership in the world, not the USA as many might think. 

John

• Like 1

Just now, brossard said:

Agree, the amendment was based on the English Bill of Rights.  Prudent not to pursue this as it truly is a third rail.

Interesting that Switzerland has the highest percentage gun ownership in the world, not the USA as many might think. 

John

It used to be illegal not to have a firearm in Switzerland if you have done the national service. Many now opt out.

You also get issued with a Swiss Army knife.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscription_in_Switzerland

• RMweb Gold

Now, I'm no friend of the gun lobby, but just to put things in perspective, replica toy guns are not always a bad thing.

Back in the 70s when I was a freight guard at Canton, I worked a train of empty oil tanks down to Llanelli one day, and as we had some time to kill before our back working, loaded oil tanks, was due and it was a few days before xmas, we decided to go for a walk around the town in Llanelli.  The secondman bought a toy rifle in Woolworth's, a plastic Wild West gun, a Winchester Repeater, Billy the Kid's gun, for his nephew.  On the way back up, as we were running past Plymouth Woods, on the western approach to Cardiff and notorious for kids chucking stones at trains, we were approaching one of the several bridges crossing the River Ely in this stretch and saw a lad standing on the parapet ready to hurl a half brick at the cab.

The secondman, with great presence of mind, took the Winchester out of it's box, dropped the 47's cab window, and took a bead on the miscreant on the bridge.  The gun must have looked real enough in the late afternoon light, because our hero leaned back in terror, and then with flailing arms did a comedy pratt fall into the river just as we crossed the bridge at 60mph.  We were still laughing when we were relieved at Canton Sidings a short while later.  Secondman 1, stone throwing 'ooligan, 0.

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 14/07/2021 at 14:43, woodenhead said:

On 14/07/2021 at 14:48, brossard said:

When I was a kid in UK and Canada we had toy guns and they weren't molded in garish coloured plastic.  No one thought about it.  However, I recall the tragic case of a 12 year old in Chicago (I think) shot by cops while brandishing a toy gun.  Thing is you can't tell the difference.

John

John

Hi Folks,

It is possible to kill people with your bare hands should you choose to.

Perhaps we should ban bare hands while we are at it.

Just pointing out the obvious.

Gibbo.

22 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

It is possible to kill people with your bare hands should you choose to.

Perhaps we should ban bare hands while we are at it.

Just pointing out the obvious.

Gibbo.

The obvious thing is that with bare hands, you have to really want to kill your victim, and need to get really close to them to do so. Also, there's always the chance that the victim might not give up that easily.

On the other hand, with a gun an involuntary muscle twitch of your trigger finger will do the business without any further effort. I believe such a killing happened in the US quite recently.

• Agree 1