Bachmann announce NEW Class 47

AY Mod

7 hours ago, billywhizz said:

Surprised they have chosen to do 47712 in Scotrail considering the same loco was a regional exclusive release (Northwest) a couple of years back with the original tooling. 

I believe it's the current mainline version that's coming this time and previous rep edition was 80s version

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, zr2498 said:

Is the headcode change on the new 47 fairly straightforward - assuming Precision Labels 4mm

The headcode glazing pops out pretty easy enough but as I tried to clean off the painted on domino’s both sets of glazing crumbled so I had to cut some new from plasticard.  I have to admit I’m not entirely happy with my efforts though so I might re-do it using thinner clear sheets, you are right though as regards to the headcodes being Precision Labels, hope that helps mate.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PjKing1 said:

The headcode glazing pops out pretty easy enough but as I tried to clean off the painted on domino’s both sets of glazing crumbled so I had to cut some new from plasticard.  I have to admit I’m not entirely happy with my efforts though so I might re-do it using thinner clear sheets, you are right though as regards to the headcodes being Precision Labels, hope that helps mate.

Thanks for the information. Accessible which is good. I see in George Dent's book that he used T cut to clean off the old codes. Perhaps that would save the glazing.

Cheers

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, zr2498 said:

Thanks for the information. Accessible which is good. I see in George Dent's book that he used T cut to clean off the old codes. Perhaps that would save the glazing.

Cheers

Possibly, if I get chance later I’ll have a go at using something a bit thinner, I’ll keep you posted, I added the first of the arrows the other night 

E17EB062-E527-4F82-9102-DA949F840EC9.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My Intercity Deluxe has arrived. Opened and tested on DC. 
First impressions are that it is very heavy, really well detailed and that it runs and sounds very good (DC OO my tested for the minute). Small video and picture below. 
Couple of instant issues were a grey blob of something hard on the bottom edge of the paintwork (scratch off with a knife blade easy enough but wouldn’t remove with a finger nail). Secondly the windscreen just fell out whilst it was idling on the DC test track. Whilst that doesn’t bother me it’s not great on a very expensive loco that most people will be afraid to take apart. I on the other hand have already ripped it apart, driver being painted and fitted this afternoon, filling of body side steps commenced, removal of old style warning flashes and general modernise of the loco to 2022 condition. I am also painting out the pickups, detailing the number one end and starting the weathering. If I can’t easily match the paint on the filled body side steps then I will repaint it at some point.

To summarise, beautifully detailed and executed. Sounds awesome, very heavy, windscreens do look very good and the fans action for me looks really good. I would say that it’s worth the money.
CCA747B6-1C80-4474-8DF3-1DCE1ED2419A.jpeg.89c6288855787ae9b224f89acc6aa7e1.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Andy7 said:

My Intercity Deluxe has arrived. Opened and tested on DC. 
First impressions are that it is very heavy, really well detailed and that it runs and sounds very good (DC OO my tested for the minute). Small video and picture below. 
Couple of instant issues were a grey blob of something hard on the bottom edge of the paintwork (scratch off with a knife blade easy enough but wouldn’t remove with a finger nail). Secondly the windscreen just fell out whilst it was idling on the DC test track. Whilst that doesn’t bother me it’s not great on a very expensive loco that most people will be afraid to take apart. I on the other hand have already ripped it apart, driver being painted and fitted this afternoon, filling of body side steps commenced, removal of old style warning flashes and general modernise of the loco to 2022 condition. I am also painting out the pickups, detailing the number one end and starting the weathering. If I can’t easily match the paint on the filled body side steps then I will repaint it at some point.

To summarise, beautifully detailed and executed. Sounds awesome, very heavy, windscreens do look very good and the fans action for me looks really good. I would say that it’s worth the money.
CCA747B6-1C80-4474-8DF3-1DCE1ED2419A.jpeg.89c6288855787ae9b224f89acc6aa7e1.jpeg

Oh god I was hoping the falling out glazing was left with the old model, it's just not acceptable at these prices.  

By the way have you noticed that the 47828 2022 version has the same headcode lights at both ends now?

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, GD said:

Oh god I was hoping the falling out glazing was left with the old model, it's just not acceptable at these prices.  

By the way have you noticed that the 47828 2022 version has the same headcode lights at both ends now?

For me the glazing falling out doesn’t even register, mainly because I always take everything apart. I can see it as an issue for most people though.

I have noticed the matching headcode lights. Not sure what to do about that at the minute but may remove the white paint which will look a lot closer.

On 03/02/2022 at 16:48, owentherail said:

Hoped they would of done 704 in scotrail as lasted to NSE working to, and I've done 712 in parcels red already... I'll get 712 and hope it's easy to renumber 

Very long name to cover....  Like you, another number would have been better, especially if the new tool is designed to complement their previous offerings.  Also surprised at 47004 in Construction, with the potential to do it as Old Oak Common in Green!

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Torbay Express said:

Very long name to cover....  Like you, another number would have been better, especially if the new tool is designed to complement their previous offerings.  Also surprised at 47004 in Construction, with the potential to do it as Old Oak Common in Green!

Nothing prevents it, but there was quite definitely more Green 47’s than RfC ones.

There is still an “Old Oak Common” 47701 on sale, its been around sometime.

On 15/02/2022 at 17:40, adb968008 said:

Nothing prevents it, but there was quite definitely more Green 47’s than RfC ones.

There is still an “Old Oak Common” 47701 on sale, its been around sometime.

Yes, but I think that was one of very few in that era with headcode blinds reinstated in green, plus a 47/0.  Rest in that era were 47/4 (519 Res) and 47/8 for mainly passenger use and retained standard lights.  That could have (and did) pull pretty much anything!

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Torbay Express said:

Yes, but I think that was one of very few in that era with headcode blinds reinstated in green, plus a 47/0.  Rest in that era were 47/4 (519 Res) and 47/8 for mainly passenger use and retained standard lights.  That could have (and did) pull pretty much anything!

I do remember at the time thinking “oh not another one” in BR Green.

004 had its fair share of passenger turns

I ended trimming a small amount from the ends of them. Runs no issue now.

Sound wise im not that taken with it yet. Its much too loud but thats easy to turn down. I had to do same with the recent 24/1 and 20/0 locos.

Switching direction it makes a series of clicks which is mildly annoying especially as it does it with the sound switched off as well.

And the braking on F2. With the other locos ive got with the active braking quick pressing of F2 brings the loco to a halt and i can pretty much get them to stop where i want. With the 47 the brake button dosent seem to slow it down much.

I'll keep playing but i might get it reblown or just sell the sound decoder and replace it with a none sound decoder.

• RMweb Premium

I’ve just been looking again at what I assume are the pre-production livery samples of 47435 in BR blue and noticed that the red tail light openings are horizontal, the same as on 47012, but as a Crewe built loco they should open vertically on 47435. As far as I can see the other 47s are correct based on builder. Not a big issue but I hope Bachmann spotted this before production.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

I’ve just been looking again at what I assume are the pre-production livery samples of 47435 in BR blue and noticed that the red tail light openings are horizontal, the same as on 47012, but as a Crewe built loco they should open vertically on 47435. As far as I can see the other 47s are correct based on builder. Not a big issue but I hope Bachmann spotted this before production.

I don't even know why Bachmann are producing this model anymore, it's basically the same as 47012, there are scores of other liveries they could have done.  How about a weathered blue 47423 with network flashes to compliment 47526?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, GD said:

I don't even know why Bachmann are producing this model anymore, it's basically the same as 47012

Double heading, same area, same era. That’s a bit like asking why they keep producing early crest BR locos when they are the same as previous releases of the same class in the same livery. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, GD said:

I don't even know why Bachmann are producing this model anymore, it's basically the same as 47012

Its an earlier ETH fitted machine so it offers something rather different to 012 and fills the gap for before the LL duffs on offer. It ties in quite nicely with the Mk2a and Mk2f plus Accurascales Mk2b IMHO in being a Scottish/Northern machine based out of Eastfield or Gateshead before its move to Stratford (prior to gaining the Stratford silver roof) as modelled, which fits well with the general theme of this second batch of 47s.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4