Forum slow to load, internal links too.

6 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

From about 5.00am the system decided it wasn't working today until I coaxed it out of the cupboard with a banana. Whilst no-one was able to post and couldn't see images the whole thing ran a lot faster; so we know what to do know. :biggrin_mini2:

Andy

Thanks for all your help on this one, as a non gold member I realise that this is a free system for me, so things like adverts and slower speeds at peak time is inevitable on a popular website. All to often as a society we want things immediately, 

OK it a bit annoying when things slow up and as you have said its much worse for yourself. A big thanks for being there seemingly 24/7 and keeping things going. Most of us are very grateful for all the time and effort you spend keeping the site going.

• Like 3
  • Agree 12
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I’ve opened forum as I usually do around this time of the day and the forum is only a little over half of the screen width. Down the right side is a panel with a few adverts at the top then just blank screen and I can’t find any option to get back to full screen. 

• RMweb Premium

It's great to have it back to normal.

Hope Andy has made a note of which hammer

he used to hit it, so he knows what to do next time.

My only problem now is catching up on all the new posts,

which I'd given up on trying to read. :)

Beeen running more or less OK for the last half an hour, slowed down a couple of minutes back tho'.

Must be having a 'bang head against a brick wall' time Andy. Really appreciate your efforts.

• Thanks 1

I usually log out and close RMweb when not using it in the hope it may relieve tle load on the server for other users. I find download "speed" variable through the day but especially what might be peak times.

The sidebar adverts and rolling video have been on RMWeb for me for a long time. The video is now getting some new content, but equally irrelevant to me. 

Sidebar adverts are not now just from Google but also another "provider". Not too much of an issue on my pc screen but very intrusive on the laptop. In the last week or so, large centre page adverts have appeared from time to time, usually when opening another topic session. On closing them it goes back to the previous page so the new topic has to be opened again.

I've also noticed that new content in "Content I posted in" seems to be much reduced. Is the speed and other issues . Is the download speed issue reducing posting to the forum? 

It seems that Warner's aren't able to assist Andy with sufficient IT support and are content to accept the advertising revenue the site generates. Introduction of the proposed no adverts "silver" membership would really be appreciated. In the meantime I live with things as they are, but my use and enjoyment of RMweb will be diminished.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Introduction of the proposed no adverts "silver" membership would really be appreciated.

There isn't a day goes by when I don't bend @SteveCole's ear about it.

• Thanks 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

34 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

It seems that Warner's aren't able to assist Andy with sufficient IT support and are content to accept the advertising revenue the site generates. Introduction of the proposed no adverts "silver" membership would really be appreciated.

If Warners are content with the current revenue - or would like more - I see no incentive to introduce a 'no ads' membership.

What level of membership fee would be required to compensate from the loss of revenue generated by members going 'no ads'?

CJI.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

If Warners are content with the current revenue - or would like more - I see no incentive to introduce a 'no ads' membership.

What level of membership fee would be required to compensate from the loss of revenue generated by members going 'no ads'?

I've already said it's in progress so the points are null. It's just taking a whole lot longer than I wished due to internal systems.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Just now, AY Mod said:

I've already said it's in progress so the points are null. It's just taking a whole lot longer than I wished due to internal systems.

I have not been following this thread closely - I long ago accepted that RMweb requires considerable patience to use.

It was simply a genuine observation to the effect that Warners may well be reluctant to fix what, from their perspective, is not broken.

No controversy intended.

CJI.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, johnb said:

Beeen running more or less OK for the last half an hour, slowed down a couple of minutes back tho'.

Must be having a 'bang head against a brick wall' time Andy. Really appreciate your efforts.

Yes same here . I thought it had had a dose of All Bran and Prunes this morning as initially quite fast , but it looks to be slowing down again .  

Just reporting .  It cant be easy !

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

Sounds like you are trying to knit treacle....:D

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Hi Andy, can't reply to topics using ipad and chrome. Just get the add files dialogue and no white space to type on. Android is OK as is pc

Chrome has been ok at this end. Have you tried giving the browser some Andrew's? Worked for me last week. :biggrin_mini2:

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, AY Mod said:

From about 5.00am the system decided it wasn't working today until I coaxed it out of the cupboard with a banana. Whilst no-one was able to post and couldn't see images the whole thing ran a lot faster; so we know what to do now. :biggrin_mini2:

Reminds me of an MD we had who was chairing a meeting

about high levels of customer returns.

After everyone had had their say, he said, "If we didn't have

any customers we wouldn't have any problems" . :)

• Moderators
1 minute ago, laurenceb said:

I would lay odds that nobody is more frustrated than Andy

I dunno; you'd think I'd stolen someone's train set when you see some of the messages/mails I get. Some of the most inconvenienced are the most pleasant to discuss it with; the most vociferous seem to be the ones who barely access the site from one year to the next. That's life; that's people.

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, AY Mod said:

There isn't a day goes by when I don't bend @SteveCole's ear about it.

The performance over the last 5 days or so has been dire.  I won't say it makes the site unusable but it certainly restricts its usefulness:

Pictures don't load or only after minutes (literally) of waiting.

Load more activity doesn't load anything and just takes you back to the top of the page.

I've started page spotting:

I just need an IA spotters' guide.

AS I have posted before I don't suffer the adverts problem but I was prepared to pay for silver membership to support the site.  If this is the standard of operation, I will have to rethink that promise since paying to support a site that fails to operate properly would be a waste of my money.

Maybe @SteveCole's lack of action is well based.

• Friendly/supportive 2