Mark 2b, By Accurascale and IRM!

My 5 blue and grey ones for my heritage line arrived today, and they are quite superb in all honesty. Their currently having some running behind various heritage line locos including Accurascale’s 37 043 ‘Loch Lomond’

IMG_8835.jpeg.74f3d98ed87ca5d2ea8ef384f9cb68ab.jpeg

IMG_8838.jpeg.02e364fce152f861649158e71a54e497.jpeg

IMG_8839.jpeg.7df5778123a782fea17c3160a5c6d72c.jpeg

They come with additional CAM’s for the couples to allow for closer running, although I’m not entirely sure they can get much closer than out of the box with the magnetic couplings fitted (which are incredibly seamless too). As well as a wealth of other details including extended buffers for if the coaches are not in a rake (they come ‘pushed back’ as standard as they would be when coupled)

IMG_8836.jpeg.67c370ca611f37c6acbcb21a4133cec6.jpeg

(gap when coaches are pulled apart under their own weight, using the supplied magnetic couplings)

IMG_8837.jpeg.b652d18fe751893db93c8a2d087e0cb5.jpeg

(gap when coaches are pushed together, again with the supplied magnetic couplings) 

As with the mk5’s the stay Alive’s on these coaches is very powerful too, a good 5 or so minutes (admittedly not timed). I took the BFK coach off the track before opening the last TSO, as I forgot to change the coupling at one end. By the time I’d got the last TSO out, swapped the couplings on both coaches over to the included magnets / kaydees (for each end of the rake) and placed the coaches back on the track, the lights in the BFK had only just started to go out. It’s going to take some incredibly dirty track to allow the coaches to turn off.

For anyone who is interested, I’ve used Kaydee #19’s on the ends. The back part of the coupling is in-line with the buffer ends and allows the majority of locos to couple up on a slight curve, if the coupling is set up in the same position on the loco. The only ones that are not are locos with kinematic couplings that have a larger overhang when not under tension, all bogie mounted couplers have so far been fine.

They are also incredibly free rolling, so much so I ended up with multiple runaway trains when setting up the rake (probably best not to set these up around an incline) and I can’t get them to stay still over the Kadee magnetic uncouplers I’ve got installed.

To be fair that last point is much more of a problem with my layout and not the models, but is there any advice on how to increase rolling resistance 😅?

Edited by Bryn_Bach_Railway
Added more information about Kaydee set up
  • Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, stovepipe said:

Got my shipping notification for the Blue and Grey ones at 2pm this afternoon. These were ordered on 28 August 2021.

I was Nov 2021, so 3 months behind you

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

We definitely need some 2ds to this standard now!

I would have said that was unnecessary duplication until I received the 2bs . Absolutely agree . A 2d to this standard and not Bachmann prices would be superb . This elevates coaching stock to a new level .  Mind you think of what they could do with Staniers or Gresley stock ! 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Bryn_Bach_Railway said:

My 5 blue and grey ones for my heritage line arrived today, and they are quite superb in all honesty. Their currently having some running behind various heritage line locos including Accurascale’s 37 043 ‘Loch Lomond’

They come with additional CAM’s for the couples to allow for closer running, although I’m not entirely sure they can get much closer than out of the box with the magnetic couplings fitted (which are incredibly seamless too). As well as a wealth of other details including extended buffers for if the coaches are not in a rake (they come ‘pushed back’ as standard as they would be when coupled)

(gap when coaches are pulled apart under their own weight, using the supplied magnetic couplings)

(gap when coaches are pushed together, again with the supplied magnetic couplings) 

As with the mk5’s the stay Alive’s on these coaches is very powerful too, a good 5 or so minutes (admittedly not timed). I took the BFK coach off the track before opening the last TSO, as I forgot to change the coupling at one end. By the time I’d got the last TSO out, swapped the couplings on both coaches over to the included magnets / kaydees (for each end of the rake) and placed the coaches back on the track, the lights in the BFK had only just started to go out. It’s going to take some incredibly dirty track to allow the coaches to turn off.

For anyone who is interested, I’ve used Kaydee #19’s on the ends. The back part of the coupling is in-line with the buffer ends and allows the majority of locos to couple up on a slight curve, if the coupling is set up in the same position on the loco. The only ones that are not are locos with kinematic couplings that have a larger overhang when not under tension, all bogie mounted couplers have so far been fine.

They are also incredibly free rolling, so much so I ended up with multiple runaway trains when setting up the rake (probably best not to set these up around an incline) and I can’t get them to stay still over the Kadee magnetic uncouplers I’ve got installed.

To be fair that last point is much more of a problem with my layout and not the models, but is there any advice on how to increase rolling resistance 😅

Should the last coach at the end of the rake have recessed buffers or extended? Was not aware of the difference until you referenced we have the option! 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 minutes ago, MoonM said:

Should the last coach at the end of the rake have recessed buffers or extended? Was not aware of the difference until you referenced we have the option! 

I believe extended, happy to be corrected if wrong tho. As far as I’m aware buffered are recessed when coupled up and extended when not.

personally I won’t be changing mine as the heritage line locos run around and couple up to both ends.  but for fixed rakes where the back is always the back, it think it’s going to add a nice subtle detail that once noticed won’t be in-seen. Especially when these make it out to exhibitions on layouts etc.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bryn_Bach_Railway said:

To be fair that last point is much more of a problem with my layout and not the models, but is there any advice on how to increase rolling resistance 😅?

Some interesting photos and thanks for sharing. Do you have a side on photo of them coupled to the 37? 

5 hours ago, stovepipe said:

Got my shipping notification for the Blue and Grey ones at 2pm this afternoon. These were ordered on 28 August 2021.

Oooh, I ordered mine on the 26th August 2021 so I’ll be sitting by the door all day tomorrow!

As I have said previously, please don't separate out the air-con batches - it doesn't make financial sense for Accurascale.

What we would like now are 2Ds, 2Es and 2Fs.

I've also had my email so they should arrive in the next few days when I just happen to be de-rostered.

Just as an aside. If anyone does not need the coach destination board holders for their Mk2B stock, I would like 9 additional ones to fit to Mk2A and Mk2E stock. Please message me if you will have some available and I'm sure that we can come to a mutual agreement.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

Some interesting photos and thanks for sharing. Do you have a side on photo of them coupled to the 37? 

managed to take some this morning before work. as mentioned above, the mk2B’s are fitted with Kaydee #19’s. I believe the 37 is fitted with Kaydee #18’s.

IMG_8840.jpeg.15996b81af0b23240d6df528b94bc3be.jpeg

side on view of the mk2B end with Kaydee coupling #19.

IMG_8841.jpeg.b91f5d915b70e0acd598aa9b92e2a8cd.jpeg

side of view of the end of the class 37 with Kaydee coupling #18.

IMG_8842.jpeg.df2e08a37b4f71df159e342657f2bba9.jpeg

The class 37 coupled up to the mk2B’s. Note the coupler heights here are normally much more level, I just happened to position the loco right over a change in gradient and didn’t notice until now 🤦🏼‍♂️.

You could probably get away with even closer coupling if you only couple up in straights and no curves. I would add tho the incredible free rolling of the coaches does mean that if your coupling up very slowly with the goal of not moving the coaches at all, you’ll more than likely end up pushing the coaches away before actually coupling up. I would add tho I’d rather have to increase rolling resistance than have locos struggling with the coaches etc. it’s also partly due to me running a shorter 5 coach set on close to but not perfectly level track too.

Edited by Bryn_Bach_Railway
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BR Blue said:

2Ds would be great, they have not been done in many, many years. That would only leave the Es to be done to a high standard. 

Now the 2Bs are out with customers a perfect time to annouce a new coach (one in, one out so to speak). Ally Pally just around the corner... 

I received my RTC pair yesterday & as predicted they are absolutely stunning! The livery application, interior details, exterior details & just about everything else are absolutely top notch! 

I'm still yet to pluck up the courage to open them up & fit the curtains & any other bufferbeam detailing I can but they are so packed with detail I don't think adding anymore could possibly make them any better. 

I'm still awaiting my pre-orders of WCRC examples from ROS but these are simply divine! Echoing someone elses comment in this thread... Now we've seen these... How about some MK2E's or F's & even better... Some WCML loco hauled MK3's! 😉 

Keep up the stunning work as ever Accurascale & many thanks. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, MoonM said:

Now the 2Bs are out with customers a perfect time to announce a new coach (one in, one out so to speak). Ally Pally just around the corner... 

Given how well the RTC stock does, I have a feeling that we need to be on our toes as I am pretty sure we can expect to see more RTC liveried options in the pipeline at some stage. Following on from the current releases, my appetite is certainly whetted! 

• Like 1

Admittedly something I should have asked in the original post. But I forgot and vanbasher mentioning them has just reminded me. 

I only got the additional curtains included with the first class coaches (BFK and FK) and not in the TSO’s. I assume this is correct? especially after looking at the layout of different coaches. Thought I’d ask just incase.

28 minutes ago, Bryn_Bach_Railway said:

Admittedly something I should have asked in the original post. But I forgot and vanbasher mentioning them has just reminded me. 

I only got the additional curtains included with the first class coaches (BFK and FK) and not in the TSO’s. I assume this is correct? especially after looking at the layout of different coaches. Thought I’d ask just incase.

On the real thing First class have curtains, standard class don’t 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Bryn_Bach_Railway said:

managed to take some this morning before work. as mentioned above, the mk2B’s are fitted with Kaydee #19’s. I believe the 37 is fitted with Kaydee #18’s.

IMG_8840.jpeg.15996b81af0b23240d6df528b94bc3be.jpeg

side on view of the mk2B end with Kaydee coupling #19.

IMG_8841.jpeg.b91f5d915b70e0acd598aa9b92e2a8cd.jpeg

side of view of the end of the class 37 with Kaydee coupling #18.

IMG_8842.jpeg.df2e08a37b4f71df159e342657f2bba9.jpeg

The class 37 coupled up to the mk2B’s. Note the coupler heights here are normally much more level, I just happened to position the loco right over a change in gradient and didn’t notice until now 🤦🏼‍♂️.

You could probably get away with even closer coupling if you only couple up in straights and no curves. I would add tho the incredible free rolling of the coaches does mean that if your coupling up very slowly with the goal of not moving the coaches at all, you’ll more than likely end up pushing the coaches away before actually coupling up. I would add tho I’d rather have to increase rolling resistance than have locos struggling with the coaches etc. it’s also partly due to me running a shorter 5 coach set on close to but not perfectly level track too.

Thanks! It always surprises me how small coaches look next to 37s. As you say there must be a slope in that shot as the coach looks a bit lower than it did in your other photos. Looking forward to having a play with mine when they arrive.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bryn_Bach_Railway said:

I believe extended, happy to be corrected if wrong tho. As far as I’m aware buffered are recessed when coupled up and extended when not.

personally I won’t be changing mine as the heritage line locos run around and couple up to both ends.  but for fixed rakes where the back is always the back, it think it’s going to add a nice subtle detail that once noticed won’t be in-seen. Especially when these make it out to exhibitions on layouts etc.

You’re right, retracted when coupled with the buckeyes, extended if coupled with hook and chain. I’m not sure what BR practice was but when I volunteered on the East Lancs the end buffers were extended as we didn’t use the buckeyes for (what was at the time) just an eight mile journey 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Legend said:

I would have said that was unnecessary duplication until I received the 2bs . Absolutely agree . A 2d to this standard and not Bachmann prices would be superb . This elevates coaching stock to a new level .  Mind you think of what they could do with Staniers or Gresley stock ! 

For me the quality of detailing of these vehicles will make even Bachmann Mk2a coaches, which are a nice coach, stick out like a baboon's bum if mixed in with the Accurascale coaches, and will look even worse if mixed with the ex-Airfix 2d which as I have said before got me and my friends very excited about their release when we were wearing school uniform last century.  I think it would be unreasonable to expect Accurascale to do a 2a to match the standard of their 2b-c stock given the Bachmann models (although they are not afraid to go toe to toe with Barwell) but given the Hornlinefix 2d is now really at pension age and given the frequency with which 2b-c stock ran intermingled with 2ds, certainly on the WCML and later on cross country services, a 2d range (including a BFK which has never been modelled but was a regular feature on cross country services) would give a suitable "air conditioned" range whilst not going head on with the Bachmann 2f. 

That said, given blue-grey Bachmann 2fs are rarer than pixie snot and unicorn dung, frankly if Accurascale wanted to do the complete Mk2 canon I'd be laughing all the way to the Caernarfon bankruptcy tribunal.

(edit) Forgot to add, I do think that if Accurascale wanted to do some LMS coaches the equally venerable Period 1 stock which began life with Mainline might be worth a punt, they were around for many years and again some types have never been made.  Some also made it to the Northern Counties Committee lines out of Belfast and lasted in service just long enough to be hauled by the three Hunslet diesel locos as excursion stock so might also have an Irish connection depending on details.

Edited by wombatofludham
  • Like 9

16 hours ago, Bryn_Bach_Railway said:

Maybe the talented guys at Accurascale can engineer a DCC operated brake in the guards area of the BFKs lol

17 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

For me the quality of detailing of these vehicles will make even Bachmann Mk2a coaches, which are a nice coach, stick out like a baboon's bum if mixed in with the Accurascale coaches, and will look even worse if mixed with the ex-Airfix 2d which as I have said before got me and my friends very excited about their release when we were wearing school uniform last century.  I think it would be unreasonable to expect Accurascale to do a 2a to match the standard of their 2b-c stock given the Bachmann models (although they are not afraid to go toe to toe with Barwell) but given the Hornlinefix 2d is now really at pension age and given the frequency with which 2b-c stock ran intermingled with 2ds, certainly on the WCML and later on cross country services, a 2d range (including a BFK which has never been modelled but was a regular feature on cross country services) would give a suitable "air conditioned" range whilst not going head on with the Bachmann 2f. 

That said, given blue-grey Bachmann 2fs are rarer than pixie snot and unicorn dung, frankly if Accurascale wanted to do the complete Mk2 canon I'd be laughing all the way to the Caernarfon bankruptcy tribunal.

(edit) Forgot to add, I do think that if Accurascale wanted to do some LMS coaches the equally venerable Period 1 stock which began life with Mainline might be worth a punt, they were around for many years and again some types have never been made.  Some also made it to the Northern Counties Committee lines out of Belfast and lasted in service just long enough to be hauled by the three Hunslet diesel locos as excursion stock so might also have an Irish connection depending on details.

Given 2As are in short supply and as you point out there is an uplift in quality with the Accurascale version then I think there will be a good market for them with the detail and added extras (lights etc).

I would certainly buy quite a few.

Currently waiting eagerly for the 2Ds and 2Es first though! :-)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

For me the quality of detailing of these vehicles will make even Bachmann Mk2a coaches, which are a nice coach, stick out like a baboon's bum if mixed in with the Accurascale coaches, and will look even worse if mixed with the ex-Airfix 2d which as I have said before got me and my friends very excited about their release when we were wearing school uniform last century.  I think it would be unreasonable to expect Accurascale to do a 2a to match the standard of their 2b-c stock given the Bachmann models

While you might be right, I hope not.  The Bach 2as always stuck out like that baboon's bum when mixed in with Bachmann's own Mk1s as far as I was concerned.  Not something I'll be spending money on.

It's the Accurascale/Cavalex/SLW that have got me interested in 4mm again and, rather greedily, I want more of today's quality for today's prices 😎

• Like 4